Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Headliner in Berkshire coming loose

This week was our first time to spend some serious time in our new to us 2008 Berkshire. We've had the AC units running and after a couple days, I noticed my headliner up front looked like a balloon! The air from the AC unit seems to be escaping somehow from the ducts and getting behind the headliner (when I have the air dumps closed). So I have these questions:
1. Are there actual ducts (flex hose) running to each duct? Or does the air just move through a "compartment" and escape via the ducts? (I'm wondering if one or more of these has come lose or has a leak--if there are ducts)

2. I'd like to hear some tips on re-attaching the headliner. I think I'm going to have to take it down. It seems like it was glued on originally and it's tacky, but doesn't stay stuck when I let go. Use contact cement, spray mount, other?

3. Could one use some nail-buttons like they use on the dashboard to hold this up? Not sure how thick the whole roof is...wouldn't want points going too far in/through the roof membrane.

Anyone have this issue and how did you fix?

Thanks!
Mark...
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

Not sure about the ducts but I would imagine they have some. You can take off the register to make sure.

There are some body shops that repair headliners in cars and trucks. I would try to find one, they can probably fix your headliner.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

The Ducks are probably formed out of styrofoam built into the ceiling. You can even stick your fingers up to the vents and feel how it is made. For a attaching headliner 3M makes a spray glue specifically for this. The main thing is to find out where the air leak is and fix that first.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Good point Dan, I remember when I first got my Berk that styrofoam use to blow out the duct work....lol
Old 05-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Mark,

Welcome to the Berkshire site. You can get more information here for Berkshires instead of the IRV2 fourm.

Happy travels

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

Marc,
Yes, the ducts ares simply channels that are cut into the styrofoam panels in the ceiling which is why you will occasionally get styrofoam bits coming out of the ducts.
Also, congrats on you acquiring your Berkshire and welcome to the Forums. My first Berkshire was an '08 and we really enjoyed it.
Hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with yours.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire