Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Heat

I just purchased a 2013 Berkshire 360QL and wanted to know 2 things about using this coach during the fall when it gets cold.
1) if i am traveling i assume the heat is run by the propane while driving in the rear. Is it possible to have heat off of the generator as well in this unit ?
2) while camping i was told to plug in and use a portable heater instead of the propane. Is this the best way to heat the coach ?

Thanks for any help

I came from a Class C Gulfstream so hoping this is better suited for some fall trips
Lindy3it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

Not sure what yours has but mine has a heat pump on the front ac. You can heat most of the motorhome with it so yes the generator can be used for this purpose.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

If you heat with propane I think you will find the tank will not last more than two weeks. It is rather small. You may want to look into adding an extend-a-stay to the propane system
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Dragonship Captain

What they said.

Rooftops come in three versions: Pure AC, AC/Heat pump and AC/Heat Strip. The latter is what amounts to a space heater built into the rooftop unit, placed in front of the fan. High electricity consumption, fairly effective. A heat pump, easy explanation, is an AC in reverse. You're cooling the outside air and putting the heat inside your bus. Works down to about 35-40ºF....then it looses effectiveness.

Most times you can see what you have at the thermostat. Cycle through the modes..... FURN is propane furnace, AC is AC, Fan is Fan, if you have HP it's heat pump. If you're not sure, take the inside cover off and find a model number.

I've had no luck running the furnace driving. It goes out, fails to restart a few times and gives up until I turn it ff, turn it on. And yes, if you get it to go you'll go through the gas pretty quickly.

I run generator and heat pump when I roll. I try not to be out there when it's below 40º