Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Heat pump question

I am new to this heat pump option, and I was wondering...I am camping in a few spots with no elec hookups for the next few nights, can I run the heat pump instead of the furnace to keep the us warm during the nights and day as long as the gen is running?

Thanks
mx800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #2

Generator size? If standard Berkshire generator, then you should be able to do that. Keep in mind the heat pump really doesn't work if outside temp is below about 45 degrees. Also, its quite loud. Another option is a small 1500 watt ceramic space heater, particularly if there's only 2 of you and you're staying in the bedroom. Get a new one-don't use an old one. Just be sure to follow spacing requirements for the heater. I always put them on some sort of ceramic dish too. Of course, you want to keep the rest of your coach and water bay above freezing.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can't really answer, but I have a question? If you are trying to run the heat pump to save on propane that the furnace requires, I understand. Now, if you are going to run the generator all night, how much fuel are you going to burn say for 8 hours in the generator? Now if the furnace runs 15 minutes per hour, for the same 8 hours, that would be 2 hours total, how much fuel is it going to burn?

Sounds almost like penny wise and pound foolish. And please don't camp next to me, I don't want to hear your generator run all night, and some campgrounds don't allow it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

have to throw my 2 cents in .
if its been cold enough to have to run the furnace its never ran less than 15 minutes at a time never less than 30 but I wasn't timing it ..
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

F1100turbo, I just threw some numbers out. Even at 30 minutes of every hour, that's still only 4 hours of furnace time vs. 8 hours of generator time. If we are trying to be thrifty, which one is cheaper?

When I am plugged in, I run a ceramic heater, and when really cold, less than 30, I kick in the heater in my AC unit. I have a toy hauler with plywood walls, no insulation in the floor or walls , and so far has worked. That equals 3000 watts electrical, or about 26 amps. Can't run anything else on my 30 amp service while this is going on.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #6

Like Joker said, heat pump is only effective above a certain temperature. My dealer told me its value was in saving propane when you are plugged in.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Soooo what you are all saying is when the temp is above 35 degrees or so it is effective to use the heat pump for keeping warm, as long as I am plugged in. But if I have to run the gen because I have no access to power I might as well run the furnace. Correct??

Thanks,
mx800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #8

Correct. Pretty much sums it up except I believe the outside temp needs to be at least 45 in order for it to work.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote