Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Heated mattress pad

Just bought a low voltage mattress pad for warming these old bones on those cold mornings..... Low voltage will allow us to power it from the inverter when we're dry camping....

Anyone else using one of these????
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

Low voltage from the INVERTER?? Do you mean the CONVERTER?? An inverter will change 12 vdc to 120 vac. The converter will convert 120 vac to 12 vdc. If you are using a low voltage from the battery to warm the mattress then you will have flat battery very quickly as any resister-type heater will use a lot of amps to produce heat.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #3

I mis-spoke.... Convertor not inverter..
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I mis-spoke.... Convertor not inverter..

I believe you were correct, if you're using it while dry camping and not using the generator for AC power and using your inverter to power your AC outlets then you would be using your inverter to power the outlets / heated mattress pad. To be honest it's probably not drawing much more watts then your tank heaters pads would draw. I would just make sure you start the generator in the morning to charge the batteries back up.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

Power inverter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
"Inverter" redirects here. For the logic gate, see Inverter (logic gate). For other uses, see Inverter (disambiguation).

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2011)
An inverter for a solar-mounted free-standing plant in Speyer, alongside the Rhine.

Overview of the solar inverters

A power inverter, or inverter, is an electronic device or circuitry that changes direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).[1]
The input voltage, output voltage and frequency, and overall power handling, are dependent on the design of the specific device or circuitry.
A power inverter can be entirely electronic or may be a combination of mechanical effects (such as a rotary apparatus) and electronic circuitry. Static inverters do not use moving parts in the conversion process.
Typical applications for power inverters include:
  • Portable consumer devices that allow the user to connect a battery, or set of batteries, to the device to produce AC power to run various electrical items such as lights, televisions, kitchen appliances, and power tools.
  • Use in power generation systems such as electric utility companies or solar generating systems to convert DC power to AC power.
  • Use within any larger electronic system where an engineering need exists for deriving an AC source from a DC source.

Electric power conversion

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For generic power conversion (e.g., heat to electric energy), see energy transformation.
For national power supplies, see Mains electricity by country.
In electrical engineering, power engineering and the electric power industry, power conversion is converting electric energy from one form to another, converting between AC and DC, or just changing the voltage or frequency, or some combination of these. A power converter is an electrical or electro-mechanical device for converting electrical energy. This could be as simple as a transformer to change the voltage of AC power, but also includes far more complex systems. The term can also refer to a class of electrical machinery that is used to convert one frequency of alternating current into another frequency.
Power conversion systems often incorporate redundancy and voltage regulation.
One way of classifying power conversion systems is according to whether the input and output are alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC), thus:
There are also devices and methods to convert between power systems designed for single and three-phase operation.
The standard power frequency varies from country to country, and sometimes within a country. In North America and northern South America it is usually 60 hertz (Hz), but in many other parts of the world, is usually 50 Hz.[1] Aircraft often use 400 Hz power, so 50 Hz or 60 Hz to 400 Hz frequency conversion is needed for use in the ground power unit used to power the airplane while it is on the ground.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #6

DW just bought one for our bed (in the house, not the TT.) It's awesome. 'Nuff said!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Power inverter

An inverter for a solar-mounted free-standing plant in Speyer, alongside the Rhine.

Overview of the solar inverters
Ernie, which one of these devices are you using to power your blanket?
We need to know in able to determine if it is inverter or converter.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #8

Just looked at specs for an Electro Warmth 12V warmer and it draws 6.3 amps.
That will take the average 12V battery down by half overnight.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

I've got a buddy that's been using one in his coach while dry camping for years.....
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

It's not a problem if you have enough battery power... just saying that the potential to flatten a single battery is there. Best bet is to read the tag on your unit or plug and look for the amp draw or put a meter on it so you know what you are dealing with.
Sounds cozy to me!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #11

Just ordered one. I will only use it on shore power or generator. It sounds warm and cozy and I am ready to go camping!
Debbie
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #12

WOW !!!! Used mine at the FMCA rally.... Started off at 8 to heat things up but ended up on LOW... That thing really hears things up...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #13

We had one at home and bought one for the trailer last year. Keep the heat low and night and be snug as a big in a rig? Love it!
jthomp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

First night using it. It is wonderful and it feels great! !!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #15
Minnesotan

I have one at home and a heated blanket. Mine is programmable to come and preheat. Then I have it drop to 2 and shut off in the morning. Absolutely love it!
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote