Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

Help before I kill myself or some else

I found the female connecter to the air system in the generator compartment and decided to put some air in my granddaughters bike tire. When I tried to insert a male end it required a bit of force. I got it part way in and was hit with a blast of high pressure air which sent the male end flying.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a lever to close off the system? Should I completely let the air out and re-pressurize? Any help would be appreciated.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

There are a couple of different male connectors. You probably have the wrong one.

Look at them closely below and see the difference.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #3

https://www.junkyardfind.com/uploade...4ecbdfa72c.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Anacortesians

Check the max pressure the bike tire can take and also check what the pressure is coming from the system to that male fitting. You ought to have an adjustable regulator with input (tank) pressure reading on one gauge and oultet-line pressure on the other. Set the output to less than the bike tire's max to start with, then increase as needed.

With a compressed air set-up it's very easy to blow the bike tire to bits in a couple of seconds.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Let some presure out of the air tanks. There is some where around 100 to 125, but also let all the presure out then check to make sure you have the correct quick connectfitting.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Dan

I have the one on the far right. Presumably I need the more rounded tip?

Thanks
SMI Air Force 1
Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Check the max pressure the bike tire can take and also check what the pressure is coming from the system to that male fitting. You ought to have an adjustable regulator with input (tank) pressure reading on one gauge and oultet-line pressure on the other. Set the output to less than the bike tire's max to start with, then increase as needed.

With a compressed air set-up it's very easy to blow the bike tire to bits in a couple of seconds.
Frank

I like the idea of a pressure regulator and gauge. Can these be obtained at any big box store or on line? Can you shoot me a link or photo?

Thanks
SMI Air Force 1
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #8

seeg,

Were you trying to insert the air hose fitting with the coach or generator running?

If so try it with the coach & generator turned off. After insertion, start the coach up.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Also remember there are gas QC (quick connect) as well as Air QC. And neither the two shall fit... I tried to inflate my kids swim toy with propane, thankfully the air hose was too small for the propane QC. Ya, bad dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #10

Biggest thing is making sure that you AIR connectors; GAS connectors are different and as someone already mentioned, they are NOT compatible. It took me several mistakes until I finally got it right.

At 125+ lbs of pressure you are playing with fire. Connecting/disconnecting even the correct hose fittings can lose you a couple of front teeth. Just make SURE you have a VERY firm grip on the hose coupling you are trying to insert.

Otherwise it could be shot outta there with about the same force as a 45 calibre bullet. Well, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #11

The coupler has a type of a sleeve that needs to be pushed back as you insert the fitting. When the fitting slips in let go of the sleeve to the coupler and you should be good to go. Will be easier to install when the air pressure is on the low side.
RodneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Dan

I have the one on the far right. Presumably I need the more rounded tip?

Thanks
I have the one second from the right, but the only difference in mine and yours is that mine has female thread and yours has male threads it seems.

If you have not yet, you may find one tie wrapped near your connector. Typically there is one there from the factory for use by tow truck drivers if needed.

So far, it sounds like it may be your method of plugging in may need tweaking. It takes two hands to do it right. Hold the collar/sleeve on your coach's connector back with one hand while plugging in your adapter with the other hand.

Other suggestions to NOT start up the coach is a good idea. You do not need 125 lb air to fill up a bike tire and you should be very careful. It will probably only take a fraction of a second to fill that tire, and just a little more to blow it up.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #13

On my 2014, the air fitting required is a standard fitting common to home and construction air tools... if you go the construction tools section at Home Depot you'll find several fittings like those in the set below:

Workforce 17-Piece Air Compressor Accessory Kit-41225HOM at The Home Depot

I installed one of the fittings on a 50' hose, with a female quick-connect at the other end for use with an air chuck. As others have said, sliding the sleeve back on the quick connect (on the RV) and holding the hose firmly will let you connect... just commit when you push the fitting in and let the sleeve go as soon as you're connected. Bleeding the system will make the removal easier but if you hold the hose firmly when you release the quick-connect it's doable.

I bought this hose; it's lightweight and a bright color that may keep me from leaving it behind. Uses standard 1/4" NPT fittings

Amflo 3/8 in. x 50 ft. PVC/Rubber Blend Air Hose-577-50A at The Home Depot

While on the subject, there are other mentions of the quick-connect gas fitting; I found the following products compatible with that fitting on my 2014: The quick-connect female fitting installed in the basement on the right is a low pressure line, where "low pressure" is "after regulator." If you're hooking up a fire pit or a gas grill to that line, you will need to remove the regulator from those items if they have one installed.

FOR PROPANE HOOKUP:

Amazon.com: Camco 59853 Propane Quick Connect Kit - Valve & Full Flow Plug: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 59903 Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Male Plug: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 57282 10' Propane Quick-Connect Hose: Automotive

Thread tape for propane lines is typically yellow as below:
Oatey 1/2 in. x 260 in. Yellow PTFE Tape-31403D at The Home Depot

Happy Trails,

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #14

I haven't done it yet, but I will install a ball valve upstream of the quick connect coming off the coach. This will enable me to bleed pressure downstream.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Frank

I like the idea of a pressure regulator and gauge. Can these be obtained at any big box store or on line? Can you shoot me a link or photo?

Thanks
You should be able to pickup a regulator and all the needed fittings at the big home centers/tractor supply/northern tools/etc. I have one on my compressor in the garage and it makes it easy to adapt the pressure to different tools and uses.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #16

I installed a ball valve both for the pressure prob you had and as a redundancy incase the quick connect ever leaked. Here is the link for the thread with a pic. Once I am done I turn the valve off, put the air chuck against the corner of the generator frame to bleed of the pressure in the line and then diconnect.

Air Chuck

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #17

Update. Thanks for the many suggestions. I got my wife to pump the brakes and reduced the air pressure to around 75 and then inserted the male connector w/o a problem. I purchaded a ball valve at Home Depot and put a male quick connect on one end and a female quick connect on the other and connected the entire assembly to the female fitting on the coach.. With the ball valve closed there is no pressure to the last female quick connect and I can insert a male end before adding pressurized air. I alsobought a reulator for controlling the pressure down stream. Thanks again for all the help.
SMI Air Force 1