Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Geno

Help fuse blown

My 2016 Berkshire 15 amp fuse keeps blowing fuses as soon as I replace it with a new one it shoot a spark and blows the fuse. The fuse is for the overhead lights for the kitchen table as well as the couch that have the push button on it and the rear ceiling light that are over the refrigerator and sink that work with the switch that located by slide buttons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geneo
allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #2

Sounds like you have a direct short to ground somewhere. Have you had to work on any of the lights recently? It may be nothing more than a bad bulb or socket . To see if it's a bulb remove them all and try a new fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow then it a bulb base gone bad and you may be able to see it. If you are comfortable working with electricity get an ohm meter and starting with the switch and working to each fixture on the fuse see if you can find the short.
2022 Flagstaff Super Lite 526RK
Retired Air Force
swmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Geno

Scott thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Geno

The light are all LED in the ceiling.

They have been in since i bought the unit maybe one is blown.

thanks again,
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #5

Their seems to be a short some where , as usual it will involve tracing all for lose wires . No easy fix, or you may get lucky.
Pipcoo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

My 2013 trilogy is doing the same thing but only the ceiling lights , and the lights are so dem they are useless and they blow the fuse everytime they are turned on! Had them changed to led lights could that be the problem?
camperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Geno

I am headed out to the rally in a couple of weeks if I don't figure it out by then I will asked them to look at it for me.

thanks,
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Google is your friend: " Finding shorts in 12 vdc systems" Even some YouTube help there

I've used plug in self- resetting circuit breakers to pulse the power and help isolate what branch
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Thank you, i give it a try
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

Geneo - I had the same problem and found it to the cable supplying lights to the slide which was pinched when the slide closed.

I suggest that with the slide open, look for a black spiral sheathed cable along the bottom inside edge of the slide's outer wall. Look for where the cable turns and goes up into the wall. Then trace the cable to where it turns to go inward along the slide arm. Somewhere in that vicinity is they could have routed the cable better.

I am not saying that's where your short is, but most logically it has to do with the slide's movement.

Good Luck
Hank
Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Geneo - I had the same problem and found it to the cable supplying lights to the slide which was pinched when the slide closed.

I suggest that with the slide open, look for a black spiral sheathed cable along the bottom inside edge of the slide's outer wall. Look for where the cable turns and goes up into the wall. Then trace the cable to where it turns to go inward along the slide arm. Somewhere in that vicinity is they could have routed the cable better.

I am not saying that's where your short is, but most logically it has to do with the slide's movement.

Good Luck

Hank

Thank you, ill give it a try!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #12
Geno

Hank, I have a 2016 Berkshire I not finding the wires near the slide the wires are running up through the driver area.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allman View Post
Hank, I have a 2016 Berkshire I not finding the wires near the slide the wires are running up through the driver area.
I never said the Driver Area. Your slide is a five sided box. Electrical wires must go up inside the outer wall from below. Beneath the extended slide, you should be able to see where the cable comes down from the wall and then trace it under the slide.

Hank
Old 08-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #14

Geno Allman

It has been some time since you wanted help with you blown fuse problem. Hopefully your problem has been solved.

If so, it would be appreciated if you could report on how the problem was fixed. This may be helpful to others.

Hank
Old 08-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #15
Geno

Hank, the wire was routed between the ram cylinder and the slide bracket. Took the Forest River Technicians about 7 hours to find the short. All is good now.

Geneo

FYI I did submit a post not sure why it did not go through.

Regards
Attached Images

Tags
fuse