Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
We left today for our maiden voyage. We made it to Santa Fe and have a great campsite at the KOA just outside of town.

While coming up Raton pass (6-7 degree grade) in 4th gear, 27PSI on turbo the check engine light comes on. The temp gage is in the middle so I'm not worried about overheating to I push on. About a minute later the RED check engine light pops on that says stop. Again the temp gauge is fine. I pull over and the motor turned itself off. I wait a few minutes and re-start the coach. ALL check engine lights are now off. So I start to climb again and the same scenario happens but this time the engine shuts down and I had to coast to the side. I do the same thing, wait, restart all is good. I'm literally 1/2 mile from the summit and the same thing happens again, but this time I had nowhere to pull over and the engine shuts itself down in the middle of the highway. I this time quickly turn the key off and restart - NO check engine light. I crest the summit and all is good. UNTIL the next climb miles down the road.

I did check the coolant level and it is full. I think what is happening is on grades over 3-4% and under full load I have a bad sensor.? every long grade I go over the same story. I timed it and it happens in about a minute once I start climbing and under full load. I crest the hell and the light goes out. The coach runs great on the straight - doing 70-75 even - no check engine lights. Its just the hills.

Any other ideas? This is only day 1 of 7.

I just got back from Camp Freightliner and the folks there seem to be very knowledgeable and should be able tell you what the lights are telling you. They emphasized calling them first, this is the Freightliner Custom Chassis in Gaffney SC number 800-385-4357. Give them a call and I hope you get thinks corrected.

Ron & Rhonda
Blessed Above Measure.
Three Terrific Children, Four Wonderful Grandchildren.
All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Pro 16:2
2011 Berkshire 390BH DP
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Help ! I’m having same problem. I stored my coach last Nov 15th. I went to get it out last night. It has not moved or been started since Nov 15. It started fine and while I was waiting outside it for the air etc to build up it suddenly shut itself off. Not understanding why I went in and the check engine light was on and the dash computer screen indicated low coolant. I checked the engine coolant level and could see liquid. I removed the rad cap a tad and there was pressure. (maybe I checked the wrong container also here – I’m reading it’s not the first one you see at the top ?) It started fine again and lights all went out and about 5 minutes later same thing. There was no evidence of liquids underneath on ground. Unit is sitting level. The heat gauge had not even moved yet as engine was cold. It did this about 4 times then I stopped restarting it. When watching from seat first the orange check engine light comes on then few minutes later the red stop engine light comes on and about 30 second later shuts off engine. Again each time low coolant is displayed. The unit has never done this before. Can any advise what is happening here ? I will check the coolant for another resivor. Thanks…Ron

Pennie / Ron
2015 Sanibel 3901
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Thinking its the sensor ?

Pennie / Ron
2015 Sanibel 3901
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote