Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #11

I bought a sterling all terrain, made from aluminum so it is very light to pick up and store.
I also installed a stay-and-play brake system. So my wife does not have to install the brake buddy and do the set up each time the toad is connected to the motorhome. I also have a battery charger box that keeps the battery charged while going down the road. All we have to do is connect the tow bar and the wiring plug and we are good to go. Less than 5 minutes including the safety cables. Easy setup. Though there are pros and cons to all systems.
We tow a 2008 Honda CR-V. Only 3450 lbs so you don't even know it's back there. A tire pressure monitor is another great item to have.
Have fun

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #12

So you say there are pros and cons to each. Can someone give me the readers digest version of what the pros and cons are? It sounds like the majority are in favor of the falcon all terrain but I dont really understand why. Thanks for all the responses. This is my first motorhome and I am learning a lot.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #13

I am sure you won't go wrong with either tow bar. I have the Blue OX Adventa as well and agree with all pros as JTN8listed in that post. I have no cons for it -- easy to hook up and store on the MH and the base plates for our toad are not as big and ugly as I have seen with other tow bar set ups. The swivel is also great for hooking up when not perfectly level. Just make sure the arms are locked before you take off towing.
As far as a brake controller I do use one but really only to be compliant with states that require a breakaway device as you might be surprised at how many states require it. Otherwise the brakes on the toad hardly ever need to engage and I can't even tell it is back there as the engine brake on the MH does the job of slowing gradually enough in most instances.
The big thing is in choosing your toad and making sure you follow what has to be done to tow it 4 wheels down.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #14

The pros and cons are how easy is it to set up, like is the brake mechanism permanently attached to the toad or do you have to take it in and out of the car when you want to use the car and recalibrate it the weight of the Brake Buddy, weight of the tow bar like how heavy is it to pick up and store in you storage compartment or is it locked onto the coach.
And finally the cost of the all of the items combined. To some people cost is not an issue but to others it is.
As for me I purchased a tow kit brackets for my car on the internet and had a local shop install it and found a Sterling All-Terrain tow bar on craigslist for 300 dollars. All of the wiring for the lights and battery maintainer came off of the internet as well.
As for tow bars that have a rubber boots on the slides I was concerned with not able to clean and silicone them. But not a deal breaker.
With my Roadmaster I do not even see or notice the brackets on the vehicle
Either Blue OX or Roadmaster will do you good.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

I didn't mention but I paid 399.00 for the brackets on etrailer.com, 300 to have the brackets installed as well as a light kit and installation, 20 for the battery maintainer and a 20 minute install by myself. Then the tow bar 300 on craigslist.
Total cost 1019.
Which is not bad for a Sterling All-Terrain tow bar.
I was quoted 1695 + tax for a new falcon 2 unit with bracket, lights and install. A Sterling would have added another 300 - 400 dollars or so to the cost.
I am an Ebay, Craigslist, internet man myself. We love our Georgetown XL 378 and you will love your unit and travels as well.
Berkshire's are fine coaches.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #16

It's nice to see a thread with good info and not "I have brand x and it is the best" I was trying to avoid that and so has everyone else. Lots of good info. I would again recommend going to a place like CW that has several different brands to compare. Also with the weight of your toad approaching 4000 lbs I would use a breaking system.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #17

I have two e-mails and one postal ad from Camping World for $29 installation on anything they sell. The postal ad has both tow bar brackets advertised plus invisibrake for $29 installation per item. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #18

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your assistance. I agree that this thread has been amazing in the sense that it hasnt been my way or the highway. I looked back at my old email and I do have the one that CW sent with the $29 installation. It looks like its good until Dec. 2 so I should have plenty of time after picking up my MH to get out there and have them install all of the items I need to tow. As an aside, I was just reading on iRV2 and Someone asked about buying a used Berkshire and all of the responses were negative. Of course none of those people actually own a Berkshire. I have a Forest River TT which is why I'm not hesitating to buy the Berkshire. Thanks again all.

Marcusfan
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your assistance. I agree that this thread has been amazing in the sense that it hasnt been my way or the highway. I looked back at my old email and I do have the one that CW sent with the $29 installation. It looks like its good until Dec. 2 so I should have plenty of time after picking up my MH to get out there and have them install all of the items I need to tow. As an aside, I was just reading on iRV2 and Someone asked about buying a used Berkshire and all of the responses were negative. Of course none of those people actually own a Berkshire. I have a Forest River TT which is why I'm not hesitating to buy the Berkshire. Thanks again all. Marcusfan
Yes, many folks who paid a lot more for what we got with our Berkshires seem to enjoy saying negative things about our coaches. I just chalk it up to ignorance.

All previous advise is spot on. We have the blue ox all aladin and it works great for us. The 2 most important thing are making sure your vehicle can be towed 4 down and get an auxiliary braking system. Most states require them if your towing 3,000 pounds or more.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #20
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

If you can not flat tow. then you might look at
www.cartowdolly.com . I have used one for 2 years with no problems as my wife is handycapped and I do every thing my self. I tow a 2010 Honda Van that is modified for her scooter .