Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by faaguy View Post
I guess I will email the dealership in Florida (Orlando) where I'm purchasing the motorhome and have them put it on official scales and get the true weight before I purchase it. If over weight I guess FR would have to mod the motorhome.

George

What model do you have? This weight issue is not widespread. If you have not signed the contract do get a weight. Remember the weight needs to be with full fuel and LP.
Get the weight and do the math. If you need help with it shoot me s PM. Congrats on the new Moho. I have a 2011 390 RB. You might want to introduce your self again in the Berkshire page.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by faaguy View Post
I guess I will email the dealership in Florida (Orlando) where I'm purchasing the motorhome and have them put it on official scales and get the true weight before I purchase it. If over weight I guess FR would have to mod the motorhome.

George
You are very smart to get the MH weighed before purchase. Ask for a CAT Scale certified document. Even if not over weight, you will want the MH to carry more the just itself. You didn't say if you are looking at a Berkshire. Not all manufacturers will do an upgrade and I wouldn't count on the dealer doing it. I believe the FR upgrade can only be done at FR or Freightliner.

Hank

Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #23

It also can take sometime to get setup to be done mine took 5-6 months.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #24

I emailed Randy and Mitch this morning. Tried calling but got no answer.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #25

Okay, I not a MH expert, but would like to respond to some of the comments based on what I do know.

From what I’ve learned from expert Mark Polk, it’s been an ongoing problem with some MHs that start out with low CCC and/or not current dry weight. Manufacturers are slowly improving. Buyers beware.

I’d never trust the sticker dry weight. If one could, they should have the dealer weigh it before purchase. All too often the dry weight will be more due to additional unscaled options.

It was said: “I believe your GCWR is the total of front +rear +tow item capacity and the GVWR is the total front+rear capacity.”

It doesn’t really work that way. If one cannot find the published GCWR, they need to call the manufacturer to obtain it. There is no simple formula for consumers to come up with the manufacturer’s GCWR. (At least I’ve never discovered it yet.)

As for the RV Tow Check app, that’s my expert area. I will make few comments just because it was discussed here. If someone wants to start another thread, I’d be glad to discuss it further.

RV Tow Check is intended for pre-purchase. It does work for all tow vehicles, not just trucks. Campin Cajun is correct that it’s not helpful in his current situation. One of the ongoing problems are some people using some RV weight calculators for the wrong purpose. There’s not much that can be done about that.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel,
B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags,
K&N cold air intake with AEM dry filter
SOB: 09 Cyclone 4012 (GVWR: 20,400#) with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, My toy in the garage is a 2008 smart fortwo (1.8K#).
DaveGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #26

Dave, I found my GCWR. It was in the FL manual that I got with my Moho.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #27

My understanding was that the GCWR & GVWR are sticker capacities from FORD in my case and that the coaches are weighed at the factory after building...then the CCC is calculated based on the GVWR minus the actual weight. My CCC was on the inside of an upper kitchen cabinet door. I did not get individual axle weights.
Not the same on Berks? ...
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
My understanding was that the GCWR & GVWR are sticker capacities from FORD in my case and that the coaches are weighed at the factory after building...then the CCC is calculated based on the GVWR minus the actual weight. My CCC was on the inside of an upper kitchen cabinet door. I did not get individual axle weights.
Not the same on Berks? ...

That is correct but not really the subject of this thread. FR knowingly let mine and other Berks leave the factory knowing that the front axle was not sufficient for the load it would be carrying.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #29

Yes...thanks...I've been following this out of interest but was beginning to question my understanding of the basics. Did FR provide you guys from the factory with actual f/r axle weights or did people begin discovering it on their own...Seem like it could be quite dangerous and even though I have a G'town... probably wouldn't hurt for me to check on my individual axle weights. Thanks for the response and hope the company steps up for all concerned.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
That is correct but not really the subject of this thread. FR knowingly let mine and other Berks leave the factory knowing that the front axle was not sufficient for the load it would be carrying.

Actually FR did not know they had a issue until late Fall 2012 and a fix didn't happen on the first rig until spring of 2013. I don't believe they had a good grasp on the issue until spring of 2013. The 2014 saw a change to the 12000 FA.