Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Hot water tank - source switch

OK - another question for the experts. 2008 Berkshire... Turning off the AC power to the hot water heater is a no-brainer, switch on the convenience panel, even a breaker to be sure. But how do you turn off the gas - without turning off gas to the entire motorhome? I'd like to keep the heat on while my wife is hanging out with me but turning off the gas tank is the only way I can find to keep the hot water heater from starting up using lp? Is there another switch somewhere I'm missing???
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer
OK - another question for the experts. 2008 Berkshire... Turning off the AC power to the hot water heater is a no-brainer, switch on the convenience panel, even a breaker to be sure. But how do you turn off the gas - without turning off gas to the entire motorhome? I'd like to keep the heat on while my wife is hanging out with me but turning off the gas tank is the only way I can find to keep the hot water heater from starting up using lp? Is there another switch somewhere I'm missing???
Should be an l.p. switch in convenience panel as well.
May have a red light by it when on that says dsi..

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #3

So maybe the switch in the convenience center is for the LP? There is a rocker marked water heater with a red light next to it. I thought that was for electric - but LP makes more sense... There is a circuit breaker under the bed for the heater = obviously for AC.

Thanks for the reply and forcing me to exercise a few "more" brain cells...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoyer
So maybe the switch in the convenience center is for the LP? There is a rocker marked water heater with a red light next to it. I thought that was for electric - but LP makes more sense... There is a circuit breaker under the bed for the heater = obviously for AC.

Thanks for the reply and forcing me to exercise a few "more" brain cells...
There should be an a/c on/ off switch on the actual Hw heater.
Open door and look in the lower left corner.
It's hidden so look close.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

thanks - I'll look... I may have missed it as I was in total shock from the amount of rust at the anode...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Hot Water Heater Switch A/C

If you look at the Power switch located on the Hot Water Heater you will notice it has a small hole thru the rocker. This is for a small hairpin cotter pin that when stuck through the hole prevents the switch from being turned to the on position. When this is inserted it will avoid putting power to the heating element. Anytime the switch in the on position and the circuit breaker is also in the on position there must be water in the tank or the heating element will burn out. I make it a practice to avoid using the circuit breaker and always keep this switch in the off position until I hook up to water and shore power. I'm out of the coach anyway for the hookups and it only takes a second to flip that switch. I can only imagine the hassel to replace the heating element or the whole heater.
You can operate in both the A/C and gas mode at the same time, if fast hot water recovery is needed, we tend to use just propane when either boondooking or on the road and go to strictly A/C when using campground power.
The switch and red light indicator next to it in the power center is for propane operation.
Good Luck
AREA51
McMaster-Carr
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

AREA51 - thanks for the detailed info - I appreciate it and will look this weekend when I can get the motorhome out of storage.