Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
Berkshire 390QS

Been thinking of changing controllers also and having AGS to generator, just wondering how hard to install. Let us know how it goes.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #22

Craig,
Why don't you give Magnum a call and see if they can answer your questions? I would think that they should be able to give you the answers.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Tom,

Did talk with them. Just trying to find out others actual experiences with the new remotes.

Regards,

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
mjracsj and boohoo,

I am in the process of changing my Magnum Inverter Remote from a MM-RC to a ME-RC controller. I have the Remote in hand, but my unit is in storage in Georgia. It appears from the prior posts that I've read, that you both put in the new ME-RC controller. Did the new one fit in the same space as the old one? I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring tools to enlarge the cutout space. Also I'm told by Magnum, that I don't need to run the new "telephone" wire that comes with it, that I can just plug in the exiting wire from the old remote. Did you find this to be true?

I have been reading through the manual for the new remote. Do you have any tips for setting it up. The main reason I went with the new remote was so that I could equalize the batteries and also set a lower charge level.

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Craig
(Superchief)

Yes you will need to make the hole bigger and yes it plugs right in. I used a jig saw and a bunch of blue tape to not scratch the surface. Very easy and worth the switch.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
2011 Berkshire 390BH

NO3putt,

Recently went to a FMCA Rally and attended two battery workshops. I discovered a couple of things. First I was filling my batteries to full. Left no room for gases to expand without gassing out of the top of the battery. No more than 1/2 inch over the plates. Second, they talked about equalizing the batteries, as all batteries will seek the lowest output level of one. I tried to find out how to do this and was told I must have an equalizing system on my remote. After some research, I found out that I only had a six "light idiot" system that could not equalize the batteries. I then found out that Magnum makes two remotes for my inverter. A MM-RC (6 lights) and the ME-RC, which had all the additional functions. These ME-RC's are what the newer Berkshires have. I purchased a ME-RC and can't wait to install it. I will let you know how it goes.

Craig
(Superchief)

Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Klucas,

Thanks for the information.

Craig

Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #27

Craig I didn't do it myself but FR did it. I know it was plug and play and won't require cutting or modifying the existing hole. As far as set up its straight forward. I'm still learning the setting and did notice a little white dust on the batteries so I will back off the charge rate. I don't remember what I have them set at sorry. I will be back in the MH in two weeks but I don't have access to it.
I wish I would have done it earlier it cost me a 600$ set if batteries.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #28

Sorry I didn't read the while thread and now see that Kluces had to cut the hole larger. Warren had told me it plugged right in so I assumed he didn't cut it. It sounds like you better bring a saw. I will have to look at the equalizer function I didn't know that.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
mjracsj and boohoo,

I am in the process of changing my Magnum Inverter Remote from a MM-RC to a ME-RC controller. I have the Remote in hand, but my unit is in storage in Georgia. It appears from the prior posts that I've read, that you both put in the new ME-RC controller. Did the new one fit in the same space as the old one? I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring tools to enlarge the cutout space. Also I'm told by Magnum, that I don't need to run the new "telephone" wire that comes with it, that I can just plug in the exiting wire from the old remote. Did you find this to be true?

I have been reading through the manual for the new remote. Do you have any tips for setting it up. The main reason I went with the new remote was so that I could equalize the batteries and also set a lower charge level.

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Craig
(Superchief)
Craig..... My original control was just three buttons and 3 leds if I remember correctly. Therefore I DID have to enlarge the opening with a sabre saw. Take care to not accidentally hit the wire; there are several feet of it coiled up behind the original panel.

The electrics are just unplug the old one and plug in the new. RJ45 (ethernet type) of connector.

As far as setting..... I keep mine around 30% when on shore power. This should "baby" the batteries and is OK, since I don't care how fast the batts recharge.

I did the calculations based upon the max inverter charging rate (70 amps) and since Trojan says I can safely recharge at that rate, I plan to kick the rate up to 100% when boondocking this summer; that should shorten the time I need to run the gen set.

That's my plan anyhow..... Maybe someone will dispute me. I know the new batts have been installed for around 6 weeks now, and have needed no water added AT ALL.

Bill
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #30
Berkshire 390QS

thanks superchief, pretty sure we have the same original set up.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Klucas,

Thanks for the information.

Craig

Your welcome. Also bring a vacuum as cutting into the particle board makes a huge mess. You will get a lot of dust in the cabinet under the tv. Just be aware. I wish I covered the DVD player. I took a while to clean up in there. Other woes it's a super easy instal.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Thanks guys for all the help. The install actually went well. Used hand tools only (key saw), drill bits by hand on a screw driver, and plastic and blue tape, and oh yea a wood file to square it off. It was messy to say the least, but everything cleaned up well.

Tags
replacement