Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
I had the same problem this year in northeast PA. Bitterly cold winter. 5 years of motorhoming and never had an issue with my house batteries. Went out this spring to open her up and i find all 4 house batteries bulged and cracked. Not an easy pill to swallow. The cheapest I could find to replace was $290 each. You say you got all 4 for $550? Are they the huge 17" high ones? Mine are enormous and weigh 120 lbs each. From now on I will fully charge and disconnect them, then store them in my basement. Can't afford to do replace them every year!

Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Good thing you installed them in "July 2014". Now you know what's going to happen so perhaps you can prevent it this winter. Happens every time you drink the blue liquid from the "8" ball. You can see into the future.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Do you get heartburn from the blue liquid?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Thanks everyone for the advice (both on the batteries and spending winters someplace warm). My family loves our motor home, however, I am strongly considering selling it an getting a fifth wheel. At least with a pick-up, I would be driving it and since the chassis batteries didn't freeze, I'm thinking I'd have better luck. Any thoughts on where to list it or the best way to sell it? I'm not liking the price the dealership is suggesting or having to leave it with them and not use it this summer.
dbalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Good luck with the sale. As a suggestion I would find a better place to store what ever RV you buy. I thought your house batteries froze and you will have them in a 5th wheel. You need to have a place that you can put a trickle charger on. A charged battery will not freeze. Removing them is way to much work and is impossible for me to do myself. What every you buy is not a set and forget toy. They are all complicated and need to have maintenance and upkeep. MH verse 5th wheel is really more a what works better for me and my use not a question of what's easier to maintain.

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote