Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

House Batteries

I learned in March from the dealership where I store my 2011 Berkshire 390BH that my batteries froze even though they had started and run my RV in December. I live in Chicago and store my RV outdoors in Indiana where temperatures in January and February dipped down to -20 below zero. All four Crown batteries either burst or bulged. I had just installed these house batteries in July 2014. Is this typical? The dealership is telling me that it is although they sold me the batteries in the first place so I'm a bit skeptical. Can't get anyone from Crown Battery to return my phone calls. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else experience this at all?
dbalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalys View Post
I learned in March from the dealership where I store my 2011 Berkshire 390BH that my batteries froze even though they had started and run my RV in December. I live in Chicago and store my RV outdoors in Indiana where temperatures in January and February dipped down to -20 below zero. All four Crown batteries either burst or bulged. I had just installed these house batteries in July 2014. Is this typical? The dealership is telling me that it is although they sold me the batteries in the first place so I'm a bit skeptical. Can't get anyone from Crown Battery to return my phone calls. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else experience this at all?
I was raised in Iowa where the temps can easily hit -30 at times. Our batts NEVER froze UNLESS they were not fully charged. Just my $02 worth.

Perhaps yours were dead, even though they said they started the coach at least once??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

dbalys
It does not matter how new your batteries are, it matters what the charge state is (the Specific Gravity). When buying new batteries, they are not new; they have been setting around for six months or more.

You need to have a full charge when storing and then disconnect them from the motorhome; either by the disconnect switch at the front door or better yet, by the manual disconnect switch in the battery compartment (if you have one).

It would be nice to have a trickle charge running while in storage, but if not possible, I would suggest you to periodically visit the storage facility in cold weather and run your generator for about and hour. to charge the batteries.
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Live to Travel!

House Batteries

I have a 2014 390BH and had the same failure this winter. I am in ND and temps were -20 to -30 for a few periods this winter. It was a frustrating $550 lesson to learn. Just the house batteries failed. The engine batteries were fine. I properly filled fluids just before storage and fully charged, I set the internal disconnect switch to store and turned the disconnect at the battery to off. After discovering four burst batteries this spring, I got to the root cause. There is a connection to the inverter which causes a parasitic drag on the battery. It is not part of the disconnect - a less than ideal design - the mechanical disconnect should be a true and total disconnect. Under severe enough conditions the discharge from the inverter computer, although minimal, will cause even the freshest battery to fail given enough time in cold enough temps. Next winter I will either remove the batteries or set a trickle charger on them, or better yet, store it in the south and get the heck out of here.
MightyOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaslaski View Post
Next winter I will either remove the batteries or set a trickle charger on them, or better yet, store it in the south and get the heck out of here.
swaslaski,

Now your talking!!! Head to Key West!!

Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your new coach!!! Your in the right place to get great info and help with your coach. Lots of nice people with plenty of good experience and knowledge to help with problems.

Good luck and many fun, memorable, and trouble free trips with your coach!!

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

I had my batteries freeze the second year and the cure is quite simple. Sell the house and. Most of your "stuff" and only go to warm places. Our first year doing it and I will bet my batteries never freeze again.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I had my batteries freeze the second year and the cure is quite simple. Sell the house and. Most of your "stuff" and only go to warm places. Our first year doing it and I will bet my batteries never freeze again.

So where do you spend your winters??

For me it's AZ, but I LOVE the desert SW in general. When you first come here you think "my God, who could like this god-forsaken place"? Then it starts to grow on you!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Bill we spent last year at Silver Palms in Okeechobee FL. We will be there this year from Nov until the end of February. We are thinking of leaving FL and following the Gulf around to south TX some place. From there who knows. I have a brother in Flagstaff I haven't seen in several years so depending on the weather we might head there. I would as soon spend the bulk if next spring in the NM AZ area.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Phil, Flagstaff is cold during the winter and does get snow. Not a place I would think of heading in the winter. Now Yuma, that is the place! Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #10

Craig it snows like a SOB there. If we can't talk my brother into meeting us south we will check the weather around April and see if it will work. Not heading into cold snow or ice if I can help it.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

I had the same problem this year in northeast PA. Bitterly cold winter. 5 years of motorhoming and never had an issue with my house batteries. Went out this spring to open her up and i find all 4 house batteries bulged and cracked. Not an easy pill to swallow. The cheapest I could find to replace was $290 each. You say you got all 4 for $550? Are they the huge 17" high ones? Mine are enormous and weigh 120 lbs each. From now on I will fully charge and disconnect them, then store them in my basement. Can't afford to do replace them every year!
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #12

Good thing you installed them in "July 2014". Now you know what's going to happen so perhaps you can prevent it this winter. Happens every time you drink the blue liquid from the "8" ball. You can see into the future.

2009 Rockwood 2701SS
2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #13

Do you get heartburn from the blue liquid?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the advice (both on the batteries and spending winters someplace warm). My family loves our motor home, however, I am strongly considering selling it an getting a fifth wheel. At least with a pick-up, I would be driving it and since the chassis batteries didn't freeze, I'm thinking I'd have better luck. Any thoughts on where to list it or the best way to sell it? I'm not liking the price the dealership is suggesting or having to leave it with them and not use it this summer.
dbalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

Good luck with the sale. As a suggestion I would find a better place to store what ever RV you buy. I thought your house batteries froze and you will have them in a 5th wheel. You need to have a place that you can put a trickle charger on. A charged battery will not freeze. Removing them is way to much work and is impossible for me to do myself. What every you buy is not a set and forget toy. They are all complicated and need to have maintenance and upkeep. MH verse 5th wheel is really more a what works better for me and my use not a question of what's easier to maintain.

Tags
battery