Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Berkshire 390QS

house batteries

just wondering how many years the house batteries should last. Ours began to surface charge and batteries began to buldge a little. Think we got a good deal at Costco, Interstate batteries at $83 each.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #2

I replaced mine (us battery - flooded) early this summer (after 4 yrs service) . I'll admit I'm not the best at maintenance and/or monitoring the charging. I replaced the charger control unit after three years because I kept having boil over problems and wanted better charge control.

I opted for AGM batteries. I was going to get Trojans, but they had some sort of recall on the gel material so I ended up buying Full River brand AGMs. So far, I've been very happy with them. They were not cheap though. I think it was about $1350 for the 4 batteries and taxes.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #3

Dang, I didn't really answer the question. It really depends on how often and how deeply you discharge them, assuming good maintenance. Cop out answer, I know...but it's the truth!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #4

We really don't use the batteries that much, most trips are with electric hookup and while traveling the TV charges so capacity is not really a concern. On my cruiser with the same or nearly same conditions, genset if not on shore power, I am expecting 7 years and getting it for the last 3 cycles. The camper has two batteries and they are going on 4 years with no problems noted. I disconnect them in storage but unlike the cruiser they are not on continuous maintainers so 5 years may be an answer. We do use it during the winter season as a snowbird retreat so that may push the life toward the 7 of the cruiser.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery