Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

How Can I Expand the TV Sound?

When playing a DVD, all five speakers are used and I am satisfied. However, when watching TV, its built-in speakers are used and when it is raining, it is very difficult to hear more then 6 ft. away (maybe sign of old age).

With the DVD unit and its Function button, I can place it in the "AV" mode and get better sound out of the ceiling speakers. The problem is that the TV sound is not Dolby 5.1 and since there is no sound content for the rear speakers (up front in MH), nothing comes out.

Has anyone been able to get TV sound (from antenna) out of all for ceiling speakers?
Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Do you have the RCA RTD7W DVD player ?
If so, it seems to be very simple.
Connect an Optical cable from the TV out to the DVD in jacks.
Push the 'Optical' button on the remote control.

Here's a user manual:
http://www.voxxintl.com/docs/common/...RTD317W_OM.pdf

(this assumes the TV has an optical out as most new TVs do)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

How Can I Expand the TV Sound?

Yes but the radio is playing all speaks work, but when I watching TV only the passenger and the one in front of TV works but so times all seven work....... go figure.🐸

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I have a 2010 BH 🐸
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Plug one of these from the tv to the radio/stereo/cd player. Remember it must have the two rings on the male connector for stereo.
1.5ft 3.5mm M/M Stereo Audio Cable
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

[QUOTE=dan-nickie;788492]Do you have the RCA RTD7W DVD player ?

My 2012 Berk has a Memorex STS2891-RV DVD player. This unit is not commercial and is a special for the RV industry. It is a combo AM/FM receiver, audio amplifier and DVD player.

I have no problem in getting the TV audio into the DVD Player's audio amp. The problem is that the TV's audio is stereo and the DVD player is looking for Dolby 5.1. Therefore, the DVD player puts out no sound in the rear two speakers. There is no control capability to have the DVD player put the front to channels on the rear speakers.

Furthermore, this DVD player has no optical jacks.

Hank
Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #6

Well seems you have your system down pat. I suggest contacting your local stereo shop.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

mike.t
I do not have my system down pat. If I did, I wouldn't be asking questions. My DVD unit does not have a 3.5mm Stereo Audio jack. It has a manufacturer date of 2010 and has Component Video and Composite video out and RCA audio L & R jack inputs.
Hank
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Get a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the TV and get a Bluetooth speaker.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

dan-nickie
My Memorex unit does not have an optical sound input. Your RCA RTD7W is more up to date as opposed to my 2010 unit. I am sure if your unit receives Dolby 5.1, it will play it. I do not know however whether it will play normal TV stereo on the rear speakers (over the drivers seat).

Thanks for the info. I will look into your unit more to see if I should make a change.
Hank
Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #10

I-RV You ask a question on a forum so people are going to "TRY" to help out. It is better to talk to a stereo expert rather than. Never mind.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Get a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the TV and get a Bluetooth speaker.
I didn't know such a thing existed. This may just be the answer to hearing the TV when it is raining. Do you have a model number? Thanks for the info.
Hank
Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I-RV You ask a question on a forum so people are going to "TRY" to help out. It is better to talk to a stereo expert rather than. Never mind.
mike.t I see what you are saying and trying a stereo expert is one great avenue. I have found the people on the FR forum to be very informative as well and I was trying that avenue. BooBoo23 may just have the answer for me.
Hank
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #13

I have to confess I haven't hooked my transmitter up on the tv yet. I decided to give it a try since DW didn't like the sound from the tv speakers and the setup isn't expensive so if it doesn't work out (pretty sure it will) I'm not out much $. It's been too cold to mess with it. It plugs in the audio jack on the tv and has a rechargeable battery in the transmitter that is supposed to last up to 8 hours. It doesn't require a computer to pare it to another Bluetooth device. I got mine on Ebay, there are lots of them for under $20. I got the speaker from Big Lots for $39. It's about 4' long (horizontal) with multiple speakers in it as well as a built in AM/FM stereo receiver, clock and a remote control. The speaker does require a power source (wall wart) and is not completely wireless but can be positioned anywhere within 30' of the transmitter. The wall wart wire is pretty long so it shouldn't be a problem. If your RV has a radio/dvd/cd player it may have Bluetooth in it (mine does) so it may be possible to pare it with the tv and use the ceiling speakers, if that doesn't work maybe the cd player will connect with the Bluetooth speaker. I plan to play with it a little to see what works. The speakers will also work with a Bluetooth cell phone.
Just do a little research about the Bluetooth speakers and transmitters on Google and take a look at Ebay or Amazon and search "Bluetooth transmitter".
I'll be a little smarter about it within the next month for my trip to the Frog Fun Fest in Tampa.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #14

[QUOTE=I-RV;788586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Do you have the RCA RTD7W DVD player ?

My 2012 Berk has a Memorex STS2891-RV DVD player. This unit is not commercial and is a special for the RV industry. It is a combo AM/FM receiver, audio amplifier and DVD player.

I have no problem in getting the TV audio into the DVD Player's audio amp. The problem is that the TV's audio is stereo and the DVD player is looking for Dolby 5.1. Therefore, the DVD player puts out no sound in the rear two speakers. There is no control capability to have the DVD player put the front to channels on the rear speakers.

Furthermore, this DVD player has no optical jacks.

Hank
I guess FR changed from the Memorex to the RCA a couple years ago.
The RCA sounds similar in features as it is also a combo AM/FM receiver, audio amplifier and DVD player.

Boy that Memorex unit must be an odd one. There aren't any manuals or even pictures that I could find online.
The only thing I could find in a few places was the description.
The descriptions I found said it had an Optical Input, but since you are looking at it I guess that is wrong.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
dan-nickie
My Memorex unit does not have an optical sound input. Your RCA RTD7W is more up to date as opposed to my 2010 unit. I am sure if your unit receives Dolby 5.1, it will play it. I do not know however whether it will play normal TV stereo on the rear speakers (over the drivers seat).

Thanks for the info. I will look into your unit more to see if I should make a change.
Hank
If you decide to look at changing to the RCA let me know as I might have one for you. I think you can find more info online about it if you wanted to research to see if it might work for you.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

Is your DVD unit an all in one unit like the Jensen's found in much of FR's units? If so, you should have an 2.5 mm aux in plug that you can patch from the TV's headphone out jack. This will feed all speakers. I do this with my R-Pod and the audio is so much better than the TV speakers. Just make sure that you power up the rear speakers individually. There should be a button on the front of your unit for this.
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

gl Exactly what i did and the tv sound is heard through all the speakers. However the gentleman stated that he has no such outlets
Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #18

I don't know if this will help, but it is a FR product so they should be basically the same.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfillion View Post
Is your DVD unit an all in one unit like the Jensen's found in much of FR's units? If so, you should have an 2.5 mm aux in plug that you can patch from the TV's headphone out jack. This will feed all speakers. I do this with my R-Pod and the audio is so much better than the TV speakers. Just make sure that you power up the rear speakers individually. There should be a button on the front of your unit for this.
My dash model VR209TP dash audio appears to have a 2.5mm jack. It has two speakers directly above. My TV and Memorex STS2891-RV Home Theater is located mid-ship in my motorhome, below the TV. It operates a left, center and right speaker at mid-ship, a sub-woofer and left/right rear speakers above the dash, but separate from the Jensen speakers. Not sure that I want to run a 20 ft. cable from the TV to the dash. I have a Berkshire; what is your rig?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I don't know if this will help, but it is a FR product so they should be basically the same.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater
My model VR209TP Jenson does not have the menu choices that the video shows, and no AV/2 choice. It appears that my somewhat late model motor home has a lot equipment in it.
Hank