Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Question How to GET RV Antifreeze into System 2019 Berkshire 40 D

I took delivery of our 2019 Berkshire 40 D last week.
Over the past week I have read through all the supplied manuals and downloaded a few missing ones.

The owners manual from Forest River (Class A Diesel Motorhome Owner's Manual) is generic and doesn't show items that came standard. That is quite annoying.

In the winterization section, it says to pour antifreeze into the fresh water tank to a level that the pump can pull it out of the tank. Surely that's not correct. It has a winterize setting for the water flow valve though. Anyone know how introduce antifreeze into the water system.

Thank you
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #2

I'm not sure understand? Are you wanting to know how to winterize the coach?
Old 05-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

In the meantime, I would not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Didn't the dealer show you the winterize/dewinterize process?

Shame on them if they didn't.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #5

Antifreeze Question

To Dan:

Not sure show to answer your question. What I am after is how do you introduce antifreeze into the coach water system. Surely not like the manual says by pouring it into the fresh water tank. In the Winnebago i just traded in, you switched a valve to winterize, removed the water filter, bypassed the water tank, removed a syphon hose from the water/sewer compartment, put the hose in your antifreeze, turned on the pump and proceeded to each tap and toilet to run the water until it turned pink. It was all covered in the model specific manual (two books about 1 inch thick each). The manual included a section on winterizing the fridge and the washing machine.

This coach has nothing on how to introduce the antifreeze into the system or how to winterize the residential fridge. I haven't read the manuals for the dish washer or the washing machine yet.

As you may gather, i read all this stuff so i know how to operate my equipment.

Nope the dealer didn't show me how to winterize the unit. Didn't on the last one either, but I followed the manual which was model specific.

Thanks all.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

The berkshire procedure is very similar to what you stated on your winnebago.
You should find this switch and hoses on the passenger side opposit the water manifold. Look undernearh for 2 locking pens so you can raise up that door.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

To get rv antifreeze into the system (when winter raises it's ugly head again), you can use a handpump like this https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P235...omotive&sr=1-6
or a mechanical pump.
You do not add the antifreeze to the fresh water tank or you'll never get rid of the taste. The antifreeze is added through the connection where you hook up your freshwater to the faucet.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
Dragonship Captain

And, once again lots of bad info from people that don't own a Berk on this Berk page.

The 4 way valve is used. Set it to (and I forgot exactly) "Winterize" "Sanitize" or similar. There's a three way valve upstream of the water pump to put the short piece of hose in a bucket with pink/bleach etc.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Didn't the dealer show you the winterize/dewinterize process?

Shame on them if they didn't.
That's funny. There is no way in hell you can show someone everything they need to know in a 2 hour PDI. Nor do they care. You can't sell coaches when you're showing someone around the one they already bought.

These coaches SHOULD come with extensive, specific and accurate documentation. They don't. FR is negligent in this and has been for years. They've admitted it to me, but don't seem to care enough to do something about it.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
And, once again lots of bad info from people that don't own a Berk on this Berk page.

The 4 way valve is used. Set it to (and I forgot exactly) "Winterize" "Sanitize" or similar. There's a three way valve upstream of the water pump to put the short piece of hose in a bucket with pink/bleach etc.

G. Hollingsworth here. There is no three way valve upstream of the pump. However, after calling the dealer, I believe that you set the 4 way valve to winterize and attach a shirt hose to the city water connection and the other end into the antifreeze. When the pump is turned on then it will draw from the antifreeze container.

I will experiment with freash water before our first trip out and see if that works.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 AM   #11
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Hollingsworth View Post
G. Hollingsworth here. There is no three way valve upstream of the pump. However, after calling the dealer, I believe that you set the 4 way valve to winterize and attach a shirt hose to the city water connection and the other end into the antifreeze. When the pump is turned on then it will draw from the antifreeze container.

I will experiment with freash water before our first trip out and see if that works.
Oops. My bad... yes. I have the old setup with multiple connections.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Hollingsworth View Post

That how I did our 2019 XLT last winter. Short hose in bucket of RV antifreeze connected to the city water inlet, selector to “winterize” turn pump on and run each faucet till antifreeze came out.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #13

I confirmed. You switch the valve to winterize/sanitize, attach a shot hose to the city water connection, put the hose in your antifreeze and turn on the pump. It will draw the antifreeze into your system.

Tags
antifreeze, berkshire