Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Hydralic slide stuck part way out

On my front left hydralic slide i heard a grinding noise and the slide wont come in the last 5 inches It wont go back out either. It sounded like a roller broke or something is jamed in it. Is there any way to access the under side of the slide to examine the rollers or see if anything is stuck like a floor tile or something else. The hydralics are working but not enough power to over ride the jam. Any advice?
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Are you able to get under slide on outside and pull down the rubber seal and look under the slide with flash light to see if anything is suck under it, also look on top just to make sure nothing is under the topper. Just suggestions.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Cyclone

X2 on checking on the top. I had the same thing happen once. Found I left the TV remote on top while keeping it away from the kids. When I slid it out I didn't catch it, but coming in, It ground to a halt.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #4

I checked on top and nothing blicking it up there. Since it is only 5 inches out it is tough to see under the rubber seal. Seems to be zero clearance between the floor and the bottom of the slide. It might have jumped of of alignment. Have spent hours crawling under the slide and in the storage bays. I even checked the syncing rod/gears that Phil57 is lubricating on that thread. Hopefully the dealer can look at it tomorrow as we were planning on leaving this week for vacation
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #5

That's a tough one Marty. Sure hope its something minor. Seams like a lot of slide issues lately.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Let us know what you find out, may help one of out down the road. Thanks and good luck
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

Mmnsc
We had a similar problem a few years ago. The rack and pinion gears had some teeth break off. New parts had to be installed and the slide realigned.

Good Luck
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #8

Marty,
Not sure what (other than something stuck) could be causing a grinding noise. When my slide broke a tooth on the rack and pinion mechanism, it went with a loud bang. Hopefully it is something simple and they can get if fixed quickly and get you on your way. I know you have a good relationship with your dealer and hopefully they will take care of you again.
Good luck,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

Could it be the slide is out of adjustment take a tape measure and tape it from the wall side to the slide on both sides.
The grinding may be the slide clutch engaging to early or because it is binding for some reason.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

At the dealer now and hopefully by this afternoon we will know what is wrong and how long it will take to fix. First glance it looked like the rod on that drives the rack and pinion might be bent, but cannot be for sure until they pull it apart. The slide on the right side is out 1/2 inch further than the left side (closest to the front of the couch) indicating it is also our of alignment. You might expect that if the rack and pinion jammed or jumped an gear. Will let you know what they find out
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Slide-Out Mechanisms | Motorhomes | RVs | Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site

55169 County Road 3
Elkhart, IN 46514
Local: (574) 264-3437
Toll Free: (800) 846-9659
Fax: (574) 266-6083
Equalizer has no direct part sales that I could find but hope this info might help..

Old 06-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

I don't have a Birkshire I have a 5r but one of the gear packs stripped a gear and the slide quit working. It put the slide in a bind and would not let it in or out. Measure the distance at both ends of the slide, if there is a difference you may have a broken gear on the rack system if that is what the Birkshire has. Mine measured 1 1/4" difference
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #13

Marty what's the latest on the slide.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #14

the saga continues. I will supply complete details in the next day or two. Would not believe how this has turned out. It is apparent "Murphy" is alive and well in my Berkshire.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #15

Marty,
Just as long as you will make it out in time for your trip. Hate to see interruptions like this affect your vacation.
Good luck.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #16

Well I learned a lot from this experience. First of all on Monday early AM I took the MH to Boat N RV in Ridgeland SC where I bought the unit from and asked them to just look at the unit and order any necessary parts as we had some non cancelable plans on our trip out west. I told them I needed it fixed by Thursday otherwise I would have to take it on the road with the slide out about 5 inches and just not use that slide. After many phone calls late Monday and all day Tuesday I finally got the answer I did not want to hear. The both ends of the timing rod were bent and the total timing system needed to be replaced along with possibly the hydralic cylinder. They told me they called Forest River and was told the timing rods were not stock and would have to be made. I asked why they did not go directly to Equalizer since they make the slide system I would not accept that they had to go through FR so Wednesday morning I called Equalizer my self. Talked to Jamie in technical service and told me the replacement parts were readily available but since it was a redo installation I. Would have to cut one of the rods, put a piece of tubing over the cut/splice and pin it so that the shafts could be reinstalled. I said no problem as I am mechanically inclined and able to do it. I ordered the 2 rods for the timing shaft and paid for next day shipping. I immediately bought the 5/8 inch ID pipe and went Thursday mid day to retrieved my MH from the dealer. The parts showed up Thursday morning as planned however Equalizer messed up to order and sent me the 2 shorter sides of the timing shaft and not the longer one I had to cut and splice. All was not lost. I went and bought a piece of 5/8 steel rod and planned to fabric the longer part of the timing shaft. Jamie was most helpful by sending me the drawing for the reinstallation timing shaft which gave me all the dimensions and tolerances needed to fabricate the new rod.
I have to tell you it is no easy task removing the old rods, laying on your back in the cargo hold working over your head. A lot for a 69 year old guy to do. Doing this for the first time is a real learning experience, if I had to do it again it would be a lot easier. After about 5 hours trying to figure out how to take this apart I realized it would require me to cut the old shaft. The I could not figure out how to get the old bent pinion gears out with the slide still out about 5 inches. Finally in feeling inside on the rack there is a notch on the rail that will allow the gear to come out however the slide must be FULLY in. Try getting the slide in without the timing shaft. No easy feat as the slide tends to twist. After about an hour and half finally got the slide in and was able to remove the old shaft. Fabricating the new shaft with cutting, drilling etc finally ready for reinstallation It is now 1 AM and time to call it quits for the night and start fresh in the morning. We were supposed to leave on the trip at 6 AM but that wasn't going to happen. Early Friday morning when I got up it was raining cats and dogs. At this point I was convinced God did not want me to start this journey. Started the assembly process and because of limited access space it was not the easiest task. After about 4 hours in the soaking rain the assembly was complete and low and behold the slide went out and in flawlessly.
I guess with all the bruises and sore muscles it was worth all the pain because we were actually able to get on the road by 4 PM with all the last minute packing that needed to be done. Had it not been for the great cooperation from Jamie at Equalizer I know we would not have been able to start this trip. I think I have now become an expert on how this slide works.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
Plain Old Member

I'm glad this turned out to be a success story. If you're not mechanically inclined, just buy an RV. You'll either become mechanically inclined, or you'll spend a LOT of time depending on 90% of the dealers which are not much help. I can relate to a LOT of out of pocket fixes I've done, just because it was more convenient, and I knew what the results will be. Congrads on your expert knowledge of this slide system now.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #18

Marty that's a great story and so very happy you got it done and on the road. It's also good that you were able to do it yourself. Any idea what happened? Why did it just fail? What ever the cause good job on the fix.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #19

Marty I am so happy things worked out. Safe travels and enjoy.
I am envious that so many of you can tackle the problems yourself but I get good info. I will be contacting equalizer on Monday to try to resolve my issue.
Debbie
Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #20

Awesome story, glad everything worked out for you.

Tags
slide