Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Hydraulic Jacks

All,

I recently noticed that I lost a plate on the bottom of my front right jack. Sure others have experienced this. Where can I get another plate and how do they connect to the jack (I.e. Pop on, weld or screw)? Thanks in advance for your help.

-David
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437327078.717478.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83352Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437327103.759502.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	83353
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Big screw it comes with the new plate. There is a new design.
get them here.
10x10 Foot Pad and Bolt # 7849 | Foot Pads | Replacement Parts | Online Store | Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site
How old is your Berkshire? I would call them maybe they will send you a new one as it's a known problem.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

Accumack,

Thanks for the information. I have a 2011 390bh. Assume you mean call Randy?

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #4

Call Equalizer systems their design. You may end up buying your own I did but it can't hurt to try. I replaced all mine. I had them punch through one by one feels like your RV just got hit. Mine is a 2011 390 rb 40
Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

To replace them get an impact driver they have locktite on them.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
To replace them get an impact driver they have locktite on them.
Be SURE to get the newer HIGHLY re-enforced ones. Equalizer "comped" mine, since the coach was only a year old. They KNOW they have a problem with the originals; they were too flimsy.

If they won't comp them, they are about $35 per plate. Replace them all.

My tech took over 2 hours, several broken tools, and a blowtorch to get one of mine off. They are locktighted on and it's almost impossible to grip the piston to keep from turning.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Using an impact driver they came off no problem didn't need to hold the ram and heat will damage the seals. You may have to raise the coach to get clearance. I dug a little hole in the dirt for clearance for my air impact driver. It took me less than an hour to change mine. The link I put up is for the reinforced feet.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

Just an FYI,
When I needed some new plates for my '08 I said to make sure that they were the new, reinforced ones. They told me that they are the only ones that they have and the only type they will send out.
But, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to them just in case.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Should I be proactive and switch mine? I have a late 2011. Not had a issue but it seems like I will with all the comments.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Phil,
If you haven't had a problem yet, you should be fine. The only reason I replaced one of my plates is because the one on my coach had been bent when I lowered the jacks at Gaffney and hit one of those wedge shaped cement blocks that are at the end of a parking spot. Most of those with a problem had the issue fairly early in their coach ownership.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

When they go you look around to find out what hit you. After the second you know. I think they will all punch through at some point some take longer than others. Probably the more humid the more likely it happens sooner. They also punch through your blocks.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Should I be proactive and switch mine? I have a late 2011. Not had a issue but it seems like I will with all the comments.
Since our coaches are so close together on S/N I can't imagine that they would not be the same. I had two fail on two separate occasions.

It's a heluva shock when it happens I thought for sure somebody had driven a truck into the coach.

One of the two was even on the front; much less weight.

The guy from Eq told me that the new plates were stress tested to 12K lbs.

Boowho??
Old 07-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

boo,
When did your coach have the problem? Did you replace all 4 pads when you had the problem?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #14

Does anyone know if now they install the heavy duty plates on new coaches? If so, what year would they have started?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo,
When did your coach have the problem? Did you replace all 4 pads when you had the problem?
Right after I got it December, 2012. Once punched thru (left rear) so I just ordered one from Eq Sys ($35 for one).

IIRC, the one shipped was still the old style.

Then a month or so later, the right front punched thru. So I crawled under the coach to recheck the replaced (left rear) one and saw that it was already starting to go thru again.

I got on the phone and let Eq Sys know what I thought of their ill-engineered product.

That's when the CS guy admitted that the pads had been strengthened and offered to comp 4 of them, if I would either put them on myself or pay a tech.

Since I was then out of warranty, I quickly agreed to that deal.

Boowho??
Old 07-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

If they look like these they are the new ones.

10x10 Foot Pad and Bolt # 7849 | Foot Pads | Replacement Parts | Online Store | Equalizer Systems | A Days Company | Official Site

I know 1 1/2 years ago I got the old style and when I ordered this year i got the new ones. So I have 3 new and 1 old style.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

Had the flimsy ones on my 2013 390RB. Changed all of them. Andy at FR send them because I wasn't getting response from Equalizer. Had to use heat and grip the lower end of the rod with channel-locks to get one of them loose. Equalizer assured me that it wouldn't hurt the rod or the seals as long as I had the rod extended about 10". It did mar the end of the rod but it doesn't effect the function or operation. The other three came off easy.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #18

So that's what happened. My rig was in the shop for other things when we noticed a foot laying on the ground where it had been just moved from. The techs at the garage assumed the mounting hardware had just came out. Good thing I spend so much time in this forum.
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Just like a woman's spiky high heel can damage your floors with 500 psi (pounds per square inch), is also the problem with the pads. The pad itself can distribute the 8, 000 lbs on so at your rear axle to only 80 psi on the pad. But where the piston seats onto the pad can have 8,000psi on it.

Although the pads swivel, if you jack up with them at an angle; there will be more psi on a portion of the piston contact area. My advice is that you check the pads to be at a 90 degree angel with the piston after jacked up. Even with a board underneath, sometimes the levelness looks good, but after putting weight on it, one side might sink into the ground. The design of the swivel contact section is more important then the thickness of the plate.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #20

I sent an email to Equalizer Systems asking about this issue since one of my jacks did this. An employee named Randy replied back that I should have all 4 replaced while my rig is in the shop but because I'm not the original owner, they won't cover the costs.
That sounds like he is acknowledging that they are bad but won't make it right.

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jacks