Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Hydraulic Slides "sticking" ??

Last week I mentioned that one of my LR slides came in quite sluggishly. I thought it was low house batts. BTW, I assume that everyone's kitchen slide looks like it's going pitch over and fall when it starts moving; quite unnerving the first couple of time I ran it in.

Anyhow, I now find that it runs slowly even with fully charged batts.

Anyone else had this happen?? I know there are grease fittings on the rotating shaft down in the mother-in-law suite. But I don't know if there are any other things that might need to be lubed down there.

Anyone?

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

A friend of mine had this issue and was told to clean and lubricate the seals around the slide. He poo-poohed the idea but did it anyway. He was amazed that it made a big difference.
bkearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Yeah.... I hate the heck out of how the kitchen slide opens.... You have to start then pause and let it settle Dow and then finish opening it.... It's the only slide i put a slide-loc on ....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
A friend of mine had this issue and was told to clean and lubricate the seals around the slide. He poo-poohed the idea but did it anyway. He was amazed that it made a big difference.
Will try that as soon as it quits raining!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Yeah.... I hate the heck out of how the kitchen slide opens.... You have to start then pause and let it settle Dow and then finish opening it.... It's the only slide i put a slide-loc on ....
The other day I noticed both my kitchen & dining room had eased out a bit. Guess it'll be slide locks for both 'em.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Hi Gotta
If your slides are starting to creep out, the bad news it will probably get worse. On mine I finanally had to have the anti-creep valve changed along with the hydralic cylindar. Make sure you travel with your safety bars as mine started to creep out as I was driving. I had to stop every 15 miles to bring it back in.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

What did he lubricate the seals with. One of my slides wouldn't move today. The motor was running but it wouldn't move. I went out side and noticed the rubber seals had folder in and part of it was twisted the other way. Fixed it and it opened fine so I can definitely see how they'd slow the slide or stop it from moving.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #8

Manufacturer of our old TT (Jayco) said to use silicone spray lube. I gave all of the slide out seals a good coating after de-winterizing each February. Never had an issue. I plan on doing the same with the new Rockwood.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #9

Protect All Slide Out Rubber Seal Treatment - Protect All 40015 - Slideouts & Storage Bays - Camping World
bkearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #10

Baby powder works well. I just put it on an old sock and rub it into the seals. As a "dry" lubrucant it does not build up dirt and make a sticky mess let using liquid spray silicone.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

I'm a little late to this discussion but I had the same problem with my sofa slide. As Mmnsc said you're gonna have to change your slide piston & the associated anti-creep valve.
ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedog View Post
I'm a little late to this discussion but I had the same problem with my sofa slide. As Mmnsc said you're gonna have to change your slide piston & the associated anti-creep valve.
So much good info on this forum. I got my hydraulic lift leak fixed half way through my lap on Weds, and slides don't look to have budged for 90 miles. I have a 120 mile round-trip tomorrow and I'll watch 'em. If the anti-creep is gonna fail, I'd be happy for it to happen while still in warranty. Still figuring this all out as I go...

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

I had my anti creep value replaced in Elkhart and the kitchen slide is still creeping. In storage it came all the way out with the slide locks out. I have an email to Randy. Going to Gaffney for maintenance does anyone know of a good rv repair shop to help get this fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #14

I need some feedback! !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390BH

It sounds like you still have air in your hydraulic system. After I had my anti-creep valve replaced, I did get some creeping periodically. I ended up putting the slide in and out 6 to 8 times in a row. I also put the slide locks on when it was in. After about 6 months I found the creeping had stopped and now I don't use the slide locks anymore. As for Gaffney, sorry I can't be of much help, only that Freightliner is not response for nor do I believe they do any work on parts of the Motorhome other than what they manufacturer at the factory. Hope that helps. Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #16

Craig,
Your info is a big help I will try it on Monday. I have not found a good rv shop and I wanted to know if there was a shop between New York and Gaffney to help resolve my slide issue. I hope purging the air in and out will help and I will not need a shop.
Thanks.
Debbie
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #17

Unhappy

I am having the same problem. I thought it was the battery, checked it today and it checks ok.

I have to let kitchen slide rest 3 or 4 times before I get it extended or closed. Generally the small entertainment center slide moves without having to rest.

Dale
Mountainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #18

As I found out the hard way the anti creep valve is not always the problem. Sometimes it is the cylinder as you get a small amount of blow by the main seals and lets the pressure equalize allowing the the piston to creep out. I eventually had to replace both the new anti creep valve I had installed the previous month along with the cylinder. Also the replacement cylinder from Equalizer is now a larger diameter piston and therefore stronger.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #19

Craig,
Did you do the work or did you have buffalo rv do it?
Debbie
Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Debbie, Bought the valve from Equalizer. Had Buffalo RV install, as I didn't want to mess with the hydraulics. Buffalo RV had to call Equalizer to figure out how to install, as there are less connections with the new valve. Look at this post for pictures and more information. Hope that helps. Craig
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=46057

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, hydraulic, slides