Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
Doing a similar trip in the first week of March. Definitely going the I-81 route instead of the I-95 one. It's 30 miles longer from Wilkes Barre to Daytona, but way worth avoiding Philly, Newark, Baltimore, DC, and Richmond. I'll take my chances with Harrisburg, Carlisle, Harrisonburg, and Roanoke...😃
__________________

__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:18 AM   #12
Member
 
searay245se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: BrookPark,Ohio
Posts: 78
95 south of DC is a mess right now with construction and the back ups are terrible at certain times of day.
__________________

__________________
searay245se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 519
Leaving Long Island for Disney Dec 28. Plan to go thru DC early in the morning on Sunday. Any recommendations.
__________________
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,564
Not sure where you are starting in NJ, but I preferred to use 295 south ( vs NJ Turnpike) to the Del Mem bridge, no tolls and less traffic. Then 301 again no tolls but most of all no traffic and tunnels. Going south, there is no toll on the Chesapeake bay Bridge.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Am heading from Cape Cod day after Christmas to Sarasota towing a 20' travel trailer............495 to 84 to 81 , then cutting over to 95 on either 64 or 77.............but, need a 2-3 day window of good weather since I don't want to drive that inland route down 81 with icy or snowy roads. If need be, I will take 95, and just take my time. Have done both ways.........each route has its pluses and minuses.
__________________
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not sure where you are starting in NJ, but I preferred to use 295 south ( vs NJ Turnpike) to the Del Mem bridge, no tolls and less traffic. Then 301 again no tolls but most of all no traffic and tunnels. Going south, there is no toll on the Chesapeake bay Bridge.
that bridge just scares the crap outta me when towing.
__________________
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
AREA51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 159
I-95

I'm with lotsip. We leave in a week from Southern New England, I-95 to the Tappan-Zee, I-287 and I-87 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-10 to 301 to I-75 to Tampa. It is 100 miles longer and about 2 hours. One night at Cabellas in Hamburg, Pa. and 1 night in South Carolina. No tolls and much easier on the nerves.

Good Luck,
AREA51
__________________
AREA51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #18
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I95 in the Charleston area is a little rough. We have been using it for the last 8 years and this year we took the I295 east around Jacksonville, FL and found it just a little longer, but MUCH nicer and easier than going straight thru on I95 which is a mess with heavy traffic and it is pretty rough also.

They need a bridge over the whole town so you could bypass it completely.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I95 in the Charleston area is a little rough. We have been using it for the last 8 years and this year we took the I295 east around Jacksonville, FL and found it just a little longer, but MUCH nicer and easier than going straight thru on I95 which is a mess with heavy traffic and it is pretty rough also.

They need a bridge over the whole town so you could bypass it completely.
I'm likely going around that east side on I295 at Jacksonville. Is there a big bridge that way? I thought I read some people found it intimidating...
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
lotsip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Cod, Mass.
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
I'm with lotsip. We leave in a week from Southern New England, I-95 to the Tappan-Zee, I-287 and I-87 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-10 to 301 to I-75 to Tampa. It is 100 miles longer and about 2 hours. One night at Cabellas in Hamburg, Pa. and 1 night in South Carolina. No tolls and much easier on the nerves.

Good Luck,
AREA51
You mean I-78, not I-87, right ?
__________________

__________________
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.