Old 05-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #31

Another possible area is the magnet on the door if it is not aligned with the mating button on the door jam the step won't work or for those who say it comes out on its own in the middle of the night that would cause the step to extend as well.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #32

Let's see - I've been to the shop 6 times, checked for faulty ground wire numerous times, replaced magnets, checked proper function of motor (twice) AND THE D--- THINGS STILL OPEN/CLOSE AS I'M DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD... Oh - they also open and stay open for a day or so and then close just sitting in my driveway...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 05-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #33
Berkshire 390QS

On ous we leave the steps in the off position that way they only go in or out when the engine is on. Saves wear and tear on the assembly. We also sray silicon on the joints about every two months or so.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Let's see - I've been to the shop 6 times, checked for faulty ground wire numerous times, replaced magnets, checked proper function of motor (twice) AND THE D--- THINGS STILL OPEN/CLOSE AS I'M DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD... Oh - they also open and stay open for a day or so and then close just sitting in my driveway...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Frustrating, mine does not come open while going down the road but does delay closing and opening for about 60 seconds. LCI had dealer test motor during those 60 seconds and said motor is bad so they replaced motor. Guess what did same thing old motor did the next. day.
Have you changed controller yet I did not see that on your list?
Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #35

No - it's the first item on my list of needed fixes for Goshen...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #36

Knock on wood, I've had no issues with my steps.

As for the delay in coming in, I believe this is a built in function. I've noticed if the engine is running and I open and then close the door, steps go out and then right back in, but if I reopen the door, then close it, their is a 30 or 60 second delay before they come back in. Not sure why but that is how mine have operated since new.

Jason
Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #37

If it is intended to operate with a delay it is a best kept secret even from Forest River employees I had one standing next to me and he could not believe that the step functioned that way even though he saw it with his own eyes.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #38

Not sure, I do know mine do that every time I reopen the door then close it but that is the only time they delay. And only if I reopen soon after closing the door. Other than that, they have never opened up unintentionally or closed unintentionally. Another mystery!! LOL

Jason
Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #39

Take a look at this; I have a different step set, but this was the cause of my intermittent step operation.

See post#7 in this thread.

Solera retractable step fuse location

On a hunch what might be going on is conflicting comands to the main controller. If the steps bind, that causes the controller to shut the actuation mode off. If after the controller resets, it might try to again deploy/retract the steps where it left off. Mine were moving with much resistance when checking them (linkage disconnected) That, in turn I believe caused intermittent signals from the different points (i.e. door magnets, manual switch, ignition safety switch) Then, after the controller "resets" after a period of time, it tried to complete the switch command in the queue. Just a hunch your steps are binding beyond the limits of the operation maximums. Just sayin'
Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #40

It's GOTTA be electrical... The motor would only operate if it's told to. I would think that power is always present on one side of the control board, and the magnets in the door tied to ground on one end.

When ground to the magnet is changed (does the magnet open the loop? I think it does), the steps should go out. The door switch should be a normally closed switch.

So therefore, I would think that if the magnets other end has a loose ground connection, it could signal that the door has been opened.

My fear is what if it decided to close while my bride was standing on them!

Does this only happen when the door is closed? Or do they go whompy if you left the door open?

Lemme think through this... the magnetic switch should be normally open, meaning when the door closes, the magnet CLOSES the switch, connecting it to it's ground. When the magnet leaves it's mate, the switch would return to it's normally open state, disconnecting ground? So ground disconnection signals door open, steps open.