Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

I need some answers

After a long day of driving and numerous traffic jams we made it to Maine.
1. My jacks will not extend. The power light comes on but nothing happens. We are on a pretty level site near the pond and we can do without them. Just beautiful.
2. The remote controls for the tv. the channels to go up and down are strange. We have to manually enter each channel otherwise the numbers jump all over. The picture is not clear.
3. 2 long scratches on my rv up by the upper bunks. I do not know how they got there. Not sure if it happen at the storage lot or what.

4. Can you wear out the engine brake? I feel I have more control going up and down the mountains and with all the traffic. Is it normal for the regular brakes to be scretching with only 2500 miles when braking?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Sorry Deb, don't have many answers for you besides It wasn't me that put the scratches in the rig (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Just do what I do after a long day on the road. Sit back and have your favorite adult drink, relax and worry bout things tomorrow.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

Hi Debbie.
What kind of RV do you have? If you are talking about stabilizer jacks, is there a manual override crank to get them down? As for the TV, check the connections on the back and in the wall. Take the batteries out of the remote and wait a minute, then re-install them. If nothing changes,replace the batteries in the remote.
usteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Jas

my TV has a little resetable surge protector looking contraption at the first jack off the tv connection. If it trips I get the same results when trying to auto search channels let alone manually enter them. It must be some kind of booster. Just a thought.

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
my TV has a little resetable surge protector looking contraption at the first jack off the tv connection. If it trips I get the same results when trying to auto search channels let alone manually enter them. It must be some kind of booster. Just a thought.

This is your exterior antenna amp power supply.

It is not a surge protector.

Green light on for TV antenna, off for cable.

RV-7012 WALL PLATE/ POWER SUPPLY, “Cable Ready”
+12 VDC power supply with polyfuse, flush mounted wall plate. Provides the option of watching TV from the Winegard RV TV antenna or from external source (cable). Features include 75 ohm coaxial input and output connections, 2-way splitter for second TV set, input switch for cable or TV antenna, select LED light and +12 VDC “cigarette lighter” receptacle for TV set plug-in. Ivory. Packed 1 per bag, 12/master carton. Use with Winegard amplified antennas only.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #6

1) Jacks - I remember reading in the Equalizer Systems pamplet, that you can override the system hydraulics to get the jacks to retract but I don't recall any information on overiding the system to get the jacks to deploy.
I'm curious about one thing though, are your air bags deflating when you select auto level? Also, have you tried to deploy each jack seperately with the arrow button?

2) TV's - Is your TV a Westinghouse? Mine was installed with Westinghouse. I bought a Westinghouse about 3 years ago for my home. I have had nothing but trouble with all 3 TV's. It's not just one problem, it's a whole range of problems. I have already replaced my house TV and the bedroom TV in the coach. The remaining TV is doing alot of weird things like what you explained. I will be replacing this TV also.

3) Scratches - Are these surface scratches or is it down to the fiberglass? I do my very best of trying to avoid tree limbs on the road and in campgrounds, but it seems everytime we wash the coach a different surface scratch is found. These type of things will happen no matter how careful you are.

4) VGT (Engine Brake) - Use it to your heart's desire (except on wet pavement), you are not going to hurt it.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #7

Debbie,
Not sure about your TV and jack problem. For the jacks, you could try to give Equalizer a call and see if they can give you some help. As far as the scratches are concerned, are you sure that they are actually scratches in your rig? Sometimes if branches scrape against the rig, you will get some bark and sap that can be removed with a good wax. For the brakes, there is a break-in method in the chassis manual that you should follow. It involves several hard braking and other stops at different speeds. This should help with the squeaking.
Hope the rest of your trip pleasant and uneventful.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Didn't someone post somewhere that jacks won't deploy with
the engine running?
or did I dream that.......
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #9

my friends motor home has to have the motor off and in neutral and parking brake on to deploy the jacks
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

After being told the engine should be running to deploy the jacks when we got home yesterday I tried it with the engine off and they deployed!!! (Except my driveway is on a slope and the front wheels were coming off the ground) This past weekend turned out to be our shakedown trip. Now I know about the jacks. The tv -I had to do a reset to eliminate the wierd channels. I'm working on the brakes and they are not squeaking as much.
I am having low water pressure in the bathroom sink when hooked up to city water and when you 1st turn on the tub- brown rust water runs out each time and there was 5 of us using the shower this weekend and it kept doing it.
The ac is not really strong enough for the unit and the one in the bedroom is noisy. I have not tried the washer/dryer-that's the next trip. The rv place will fix the scratches.
Overall it was a great weekend and I am working on my rv to make it home.

Tags
berkshire