Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #21

I have the Winegard Carryout and absolutely love it.... Has HD and is totally automatic... I opted for the portable over the fixed for reasons stated already - so many CG have sites with trees (which we want for the shade) but they make a fixed unit almost unusable... With my portable unit I just find an open shot of SW sky and turn it on. It does the rest...

CW has them on sale for $649 right now... Best money you will spend - trust me...

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917
I have the Winegard Carryout and absolutely love it.... Has HD and is totally automatic... I opted for the portable over the fixed for reasons stated already - so many CG have sites with trees (which we want for the shade) but they make a fixed unit almost unusable... With my portable unit I just find an open shot of SW sky and turn it on. It does the rest...

CW has them on sale for $649 right now... Best money you will spend - trust me...
Great! Thanks. I have DirectTv. What provider do you have?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Berkshire 390QS

Buy the way, noticed your from CO also and when you leave the area about 200 miles or so you will lose the major networks like ABC,NBC etc. Unless you have distant network services from direct or dish.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
I have Direct TV at home and would like to pull the receiver from the living room and take it with us. Our coach is at the dealer for some warranty work and I thought since it was down there I would have them install the dish. Can anybody recommend what I should mount on the roof? I really do not want a portable dish. I don't need in-motion - the kids can deal with no tv for a few hours here and there.

Thanks.
Todd
Check Craigslist and I'm sure you will find one for FREE or for $20.
Just take your receiver and align to what ever it says on your set.
I did it and even learned how to align it at home before I went camping.

I also built this pvc mount that made the dish easier to travel with and align. Here is a link to the guy who designe dit and has more details.
Satellites DISH MOUNT Page

I built it with a few buck and works great.

After you get the it setup it takes not much to alighn and level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC%20sat%20dish%20mount%202.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	10167   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC%20sat%20dish%20mount.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	10168  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #25

I have Dish but Carryout works for Direct as well... No HD for Direct though....
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #26

I have Winegard Trav'ler Directv Slimline HD it view all three satellites,if have kid you want Dome to entertain them going down road .Trav'ler uses more power then your home box so have change setting some time taking from house to motor home.It cost me about $2oo.oo figure that out. Get up with me if you run in this problem i can send you paper the Tv guy give me. I gave $1900.00 hundred at my Rv dealer Camping World has them for $1699.99 and for Dish is $1429.99 .I hope that help.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #27

Hey IGGY, I built one of the PVC units up last night using sand in pipes, put a HD Dish on it and gave it a go. Took about 10 min's to get it set up the hardest part was the HD and it works great. Will post some pic's later today. Sure save's on space and easier to move around.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #28

I also wanted the portable sat that camping world has for $649, but my plan to take my HD receiver from home and use it with that portable sat will not get HD! I don't want to pay $1,650 on sale of the Direct TV sat that gets HD. Those home made units shown here sure look good!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
Hey IGGY, I built one of the PVC units up last night using sand in pipes, put a HD Dish on it and gave it a go. Took about 10 min's to get it set up the hardest part was the HD and it works great. Will post some pic's later today. Sure save's on space and easier to move around.
Also you can also drill out the arm spot welds and install a hinge and a lock. Some people do this but I haven't tried yet.

I do not have home SAT so all I do is call Dish Network and pay by the month when I need it. Start and stop whenever and no contract.
Here is the link if anyone is interested.
DishForMyRV.com: Mobile Satellite Dish Systems, Guides, Antennas, Receivers, Packages, iPhone Finder App & More

I picked up a free dish on Craigslist and bought the receiver for $25

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I also wanted the portable sat that camping world has for $649, but my plan to take my HD receiver from home and use it with that portable sat will not get HD! I don't want to pay $1,650 on sale of the Direct TV sat that gets HD. Those home made units shown here sure look good!
I agree!

I have done a bit of research and my head is spinning. Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it should be. This is what I have at home.

*Direct Tv at home - Receiver Model HR24 (HD with DVR). Slimline dish with the SWM LNB (green label model SL3S4NR2-01)

I can buy a used Slimline dish with the same SWM LNB for the RV for around $40-$80. Then some sites say I need a power adapter because the box will not power the LNB? I looked around my house and can see no sign on this 24v power supply. Do I need that or not?

My goal is to purchase a used slimline dish, plug it into the the HR24 receiver - align and have HD TV. Is it/can it be that easy?