Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #21

Iflyskyhigh,

Certainly the value of any RV is going to drop, but then so is it does for big screen TVs that guys paid $6000 for when they first came out, DVD players, trucks, cars, boats, toys, etc. It's the scale of money you feel comfortable with loosing.

I do not really consider the depreciation into the equasion with our RVs. Instead I look at it as a mobile vacation home that will go where ever I want to be this next weekend. If we want to go skiing it's our ski challet, if we want to do some bass fishing we hook up the boat and head for our favorite lake, if we are gonna be Jeepn' in the mountains then it's our mountain cabin next to a rushing stream for a home base.

Your job places many demands on you (I know I had to make the decision to go your route or stay on the ground so I chose ATC over flying) What is most important I feel for both of us is getting as far away from our jobs as we can when we have that free time to spend (I feel you get much more of it than I do). You can't place a dollar sign on this. You only go around once and you can't take the money with you when you go.

I too love my work and hate my job (or should I say employer).

Hope I've put a different light on it for you. Buy the rig, enjoy the time away and the things than money just can't buy for your family, lots of great memories around the campfire.

If you ever get out to the northwest I work for Seattle Center and more exactly the airspace around eastern WA (GEG, PSC, LWS, EAT, YKM). Come on out and I'll tell you where to go.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Iflyskyhigh,

Certainly the value of any RV is going to drop, but then so is it does for big screen TVs that guys paid $6000 for when they first came out, DVD players, trucks, cars, boats, toys, etc. It's the scale of money you feel comfortable with loosing.

I do not really consider the depreciation into the equasion with our RVs. Instead I look at it as a mobile vacation home that will go where ever I want to be this next weekend. If we want to go skiing it's our ski challet, if we want to do some bass fishing we hook up the boat and head for our favorite lake, if we are gonna be Jeepn' in the mountains then it's our mountain cabin next to a rushing stream for a home base.

Your job places many demands on you (I know I had to make the decision to go your route or stay on the ground so I chose ATC over flying) What is most important I feel for both of us is getting as far away from our jobs as we can when we have that free time to spend (I feel you get much more of it than I do). You can't place a dollar sign on this. You only go around once and you can't take the money with you when you go.

I too love my work and hate my job (or should I say employer).

Hope I've put a different light on it for you. Buy the rig, enjoy the time away and the things than money just can't buy for your family, lots of great memories around the campfire.

If you ever get out to the northwest I work for Seattle Center and more exactly the airspace around eastern WA (GEG, PSC, LWS, EAT, YKM). Come on out and I'll tell you where to go.
Wow, very well put and some excellent thoughts. I feel much the same way about everything you just said.

That was one of the ways I was trying to justify it in my mind; it's my family's vacation for the next 10 years. We go where we want, when we want. No busy airports with stupid TSA screener's telling my wife she can't bring this or that for the kids. No hit or miss hotels.

You should be a salesman because you just sold me.

I'll look you when I make it back out west.

Ryan
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
Wow, very well put and some excellent thoughts. I feel much the same way about everything you just said.

That was one of the ways I was trying to justify it in my mind; it's my family's vacation for the next 10 years. We go where we want, when we want. No busy airports with stupid TSA screener's telling my wife she can't bring this or that for the kids. No hit or miss hotels.

You should be a salesman because you just sold me.

I'll look you when I make it back out west.

Ryan
Amen on not flying! We have small dogs to take too so that is another good selling point but I see what goes on in our ATC system and I don't want to alarm you but even as a pilot myself I stay on the ground now. There is a lot, (and I mean alot) to see in this great country of ours if people would just slow down and see it by RV!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Amen on not flying! We have small dogs to take too so that is another good selling point but I see what goes on in our ATC system and I don't want to alarm you but even as a pilot myself I stay on the ground now. There is a lot, (and I mean alot) to see in this great country of ours if people would just slow down and see it by RV!
Same here. Two old Jack Russel Terriers. I would just put them to sleep, but he wife won't let me, so therefore we must drag them around with us.

By the time I take our mini-van back to Scottsdale next week I will have driven almost 6000 miles in the past 2 and a half months between bringing the cars back and forth and bringing the RV out to MI, and I love it!

We have only been in the RV for a month, and like I said this was our first one, but we had a great summer. My wife said she differently wants to do it again next year no matter what we decide to do (ie keep the TT, or go with a Coach or 5th Wheel). The kids had a blast. The dogs had a blast. I had a blast. Heck I would live in the motor home and sell everything we owned if my wife would let me.

I think with kids and dogs, it's the only way to travel.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #25

Thanks, but not right now

Thanks to everyone for all their advice and help. After really pondering it for a couple weeks we have decided that this is not the right time to make this large of a purchase. I just don't feel like spending that much on everything that goes with it, i.e. maintenance, a TOAD, tax, title, tags, insurance etc.

I called the AZ DMV and it was going to be $3667 to title and plate the thing for one year!!!!!!!!! And it only goes down marginally each year after that. That was a real reality check, not to mention it pretty much sent me off the deep end on the usefulness of our government at this point.

I just registered all four of my vehicles (2004 Kia Sorento, 20008 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Toyota Tundra, and the 2010 Cougar TT) over the past 2 months and have given the state over $1700 in registration fees. To say that I am displeased with our government (on all levels) is an understatement, and the thought of giving them one more cent of my hard earned money is almost to much to stomach.

Also, in AZ if you buy a vehicle (any type of vehicle), from a private party, you don't have to pay sales tax. When talking about a $150,000 vehicle, that is huge! I purchased both the Tundra and the Cougar I have now from private parties, and it's a good part of the reason I'm not upside down in either.

I think when the time is right I will sell both the truck and trailer and purchase either a nice 5th wheel or pusher from a private party and save myself $10,000 in tax.

Again, thanks to everyone in helping me come to my decision. No one talked me out of it, so don't feel bad. But it was you honest assessment of ownership that helped me arrive at my decision.

Ryan
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #26

Sorry it won't work out for you at this time Ryan. Sounds like you need to change states. Here in WA the licensing for that rig would probably be in the order of $165 per year. Arizona needs to get it's taxes somewhere though, what with most of it being either military bases, indian reservations or those working who aren't paying their fair share for what they take the state has a hard time with revenue.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #27

ifly,

I'm in a similar but different scenario. My job allows for telecommuting and my wife works less hours in the summer. Currently the '07 Tundra Crewmax with a 32' trailer does us well but the wife isn't comfortable driving it long distances. So MH here we come (eventually - prob 1 to 2 years). Love the 390BH.

So, here's what's in my mind:
- talk to an atty
- talk to a CPA

With the goal of finding every loophole that I can take advantage of to make my life easier and cheaper relative to this second home on wheels. In theory, I should do it now but the TT is <$300/yr and the truck is a daily driver so I need it anyhow.

For instance: Montana LLC

I'm considering this and I've heard on other forums (mostly full-timers, kinda what you are doing) with stories of success as well. I'm not referring the above link over any other person - it just tells the story.

FWIW,

/Jeff
jeffmarshall911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #28
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Be really careful about the Montana LLC. There are very strict laws that dictate what each state allows for out of state "companies" owning a vehicle that is garaged in their state. Almost every state in the US is hard up for cash right now and most are totally and completely out of control. NY is using tactics that if an individual used would land them in jail. If you aren't aware, good old John Kerry just got caught trying to get around the sales tax laws of his own state to the tune of $500,000 of tax on his new boat. Imagine, a politician doing something dishonest!!! Who would have thunk it?

Tags
390bh, berkshire