Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #1

I really want this Berkshire 390BH!

I purchased a 2010 Keystone Cougar 298BHS and a 2007 Toyota Tundra to pull it with.

My family and I are living in it this summer, and then I will be living it in part time, splitting my time between Scottsdale, AZ and where ever I happen to be based that month (which is most likely somewhere in the Midwest). This was our first RV and we didn't want to spend a ton of money before we knew if it was something we really wanted to do or not. Well, we love it but the Cougar is obviously way to small to be living in and there is NO WAY it's going to make it through a winter in MI or WI. I guess that's why they call it a camper.

We (meaning I) looked at several high line 5th wheels and a 3500 series truck, but the diesel pushers just seem so much more convenient and luxurious. Plus we have a 2004 Kia Sorento that is paid for that we can pull behind the coach. Thus, we (again meaning I) decided on a Class A diesel pusher. We need a bunk house because we have 2 kids, and it seems like Bunk Houses are pretty new to this type of RV. From what I have seen this kind of rules out used diesel pushers since I have yet to see a used BH, plus it seems like most late model units are still $100K+ anyway. This is phrased in a statement, but I guess it's more of a question. Are these pretty accurate assumptions?

I looked at the usual suspects, but the Berkshire is about the only one I can afford and it's still more than I really wanted to spend. I am well aware that is not a "true" luxury motor home, but man does it seem like a lot of bang for the buck as it isn't priced like a "true" luxury motor home either.

But even at this price point these things seem like rich peoples toys. Is this one of those things that if I have to ask if I can afford it, I can't afford it? From what I have figured, with very little down the payment is only going to be a couple hundred more than what I'm spending on the truck and trailer combined now, but it's a butt load more money which makes me nervous. That's a lot of quid to spend on a depreciating expense. I feel like I'm taking out a mortgage, but on a house that is guaranteed to lose value.

But again, it seems like the Berkshire is a TON of coach for the money, way more than any of the other manufactures are offering. There a couple of things that I would like to have seen on them, but nothing that I couldn't live without for what they are asking.

I have gone to see the coach at Terry Town RV here in Grand Rapids a couple times, but I'm really surprised at the lack of attention I have received considering the amount of money I'm looking to spend. I'm not shy, so should I decided to do it I will most certainly demand a little more attention, but right now I feel as though I'm dealing with shady used car salesmen. Is this typical of RV dealers? (I bought the Cougar from a private party)

I'm trading in the Cougar and the truck and they said they will give me what I owe on both, so I guess with the tax implications it's better than selling them outright.

I guess in a long round about way I was wondering if I could ask other Berkshire owners what they have been paying for their coaches (or is that question bad etiquette)?

I feel like the dealer is shady, and you can't just look up an invoice like you can on a new car. I don't mind if they make a profit, but I just have this gut feeling that the profit they are trying to make off me is obscene. They quoted me a price of $156,000 for the black 390BH they have on the lot, but we haven't really negotiated yet.

I have this feeling like this particular coach has been sitting there awhile, but of course the salesman makes it seem like he can't keep them in stock and I'm lucky to be able to get one. He told me that they made a special purchase and got them cheaper than any other dealer in the country. Seems like a load of crap to me. Especially in this down economy, and especially in this down economy in MI. Is there any truth to what he's feeding me?

It has all the options except the bigger motor/transmission, polished wheels, and the freestanding dinette. Or at least that's what they said. Getting info is like pulling teeth. Sometimes talking to the salesmen is liking trying to get an answer out of my 6 year old except that my 6 year old is more direct. I guess the bigger motor isn't that big of a deal since all I plan on towing around is the Kia. By the way how much should I expect to spend on a TOAD setup?

I also wanted to ask if anyone has experience using their coach in freezing temperatures as that I what I plan on doing? They have pitched it to me as an all weather RV, but is it really? I was sold the Keystone Cougar as an all weather RV and we all know what a joke that is.

I'm going back into today to demand a little more detailed explanation of the coaches features and a test drive. I also plan on negotiating a deal and would like to be armed with a little more info. I have requested a quote from RV Direct, but how easy is it going to be to get them my trades? Since I'm living in my TT right now it makes things much more difficult.

Any other info you would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated.
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #2

I think you should look at the RV Direct web site. They usually have the 'window sticker' for the coach available and will quote you a price on that unit. I will give you a good idea as to what you will pay for the coach. As far as cold weather, we have not used the coach in very cold weather so I can't comment. As for towing, I have read where others have towed with the smaller engine and did not have any problems. I have also read where it can cost anywhere from $4000-$8000 for everything that is needed to tow. This cost and the fact that we so far have not had much of a need for a car once we are at the campground are the main reasons we opt to rent a car when we need one. We can get a lot of rentals for the kind of money needed to set up for towing and buying a vehicle to tow. I think that with small children, the booth dinette would be preferable (JMHO). Also, I would think that any dealer looking to make a sale would try to take better care of a potential customer.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I think you should look at the RV Direct web site. They usually have the 'window sticker' for the coach available and will quote you a price on that unit. I will give you a good idea as to what you will pay for the coach. As far as cold weather, we have not used the coach in very cold weather so I can't comment. As for towing, I have read where others have towed with the smaller engine and did not have any problems. I have also read where it can cost anywhere from $4000-$8000 for everything that is needed to tow. This cost and the fact that we so far have not had much of a need for a car once we are at the campground are the main reasons we opt to rent a car when we need one. We can get a lot of rentals for the kind of money needed to set up for towing and buying a vehicle to tow. I think that with small children, the booth dinette would be preferable (JMHO). Also, I would think that any dealer looking to make a sale would try to take better care of a potential customer.
I appreciate your time and information. Thank you. Ryan
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
I think you should look at the RV Direct web site. They usually have the 'window sticker' for the coach available and will quote you a price on that unit. I will give you a good idea as to what you will pay for the coach.
They got back to me a little while ago. $149,854. I think based on what I'm asking Terry Town to give me, if they do it I will be getting an even better deal than that. I've told myself I'm not budging. If they can't give me the terms that I have come up with, then I will just walk away like a big boy and realize it's just too much coach for me right now. I don't have the time or energy to get into a long drawn out negotiation battle. This is a luxury, not a necessity and I'm trying really hard to keep that in mind.

Thanks again for your time.

Ryan
Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
As for towing, I have read where others have towed with the smaller engine and did not have any problems. I have also read where it can cost anywhere from $4000-$8000 for everything that is needed to tow. This cost and the fact that we so far have not had much of a need for a car once we are at the campground are the main reasons we opt to rent a car when we need one. We can get a lot of rentals for the kind of money needed to set up for towing and buying a vehicle to tow. I think that with small children, the booth dinette would be preferable (JMHO). Also, I would think that any dealer looking to make a sale would try to take better care of a potential customer.
That won't work for me. I have to have a car. I have a 2004 Kia Sorento that is free and clear that I want to use to tow around with me, but $4K-$5K, wow!

I'm a pilot and these things remind me a lot of airplanes. The airplane is the cheapest part of the whole equation. It's the insurance, fuel, maintenance, storage, etc, etc that will drive you broke.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

We just went thru changing cars to tow. A new blue ox hitch installed was 1000.00. If you have to buy a receiver, thats another 800.00. installation of a breaking system in the car another 400-1200, and the lights installation is another 300.00. So we went with the blue ox instalation for 950.00, reinstalled our Easy Brake receiver, 178.00, and bought a magnet mounted rear lights at Harbor Tools for 24.00. Thats a lot cheaper than 3300.00. We already had the receiver and the break system from our Saturn.

PS Im also a retired Army Aviator. And I know about cost of flying. Check and see if your Kia can be towed. It may have to be towed on a dolly. A lot of foreign cars cannot be towed 4 on the ground.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #7

Why a diesel pusher? You can get a helluva gas Georgetown for $100K. Cheaper to maintain as well ($30 oil changes and such)
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #8

I don't know if its still available but I found a 2009 390BH with the 350 engine and 3000 Alison transmission at this address http://www.motorhomeclassifieds.com/162966.html> The seller's asking price was what remained on the note - roughly $128,000. They had taken the coach on only 2 trips and it had roughly 5 - 7000 miles on it. Evidently there was a death in the family.

Regarding towing capacity, we bought a 2011 390BH with the 340 HP and smaller transmission in May and have taken it from Tampa to Raleigh to Atlanta and have not had any issues with towing strength. I tow a 2005 Explore Sportrac.

We are a family of 5 so in addition to the bunks the hide-a-bed is used nightly. The convenience of the inflatable/deflatable mattress is wonderful. After our first 4 trips we remain in love with this coach.
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens107 View Post
I don't know if its still available but I found a 2009 390BH with the 350 engine and 3000 Alison transmission at this address http://www.motorhomeclassifieds.com/162966.html> The seller's asking price was what remained on the note - roughly $128,000. They had taken the coach on only 2 trips and it had roughly 5 - 7000 miles on it. Evidently there was a death in the family.

Regarding towing capacity, we bought a 2011 390BH with the 340 HP and smaller transmission in May and have taken it from Tampa to Raleigh to Atlanta and have not had any issues with towing strength. I tow a 2005 Explore Sportrac.

We are a family of 5 so in addition to the bunks the hide-a-bed is used nightly. The convenience of the inflatable/deflatable mattress is wonderful. After our first 4 trips we remain in love with this coach.
That coach has been on the market for a very long time. I'm not sure about why, but I can tell you that as a second owner, there is NO Warranty. That can be huge. I think the price you got from RV Direct (also known as Buffalo RV and RVOne) is for a 2011 on a 2010 chassis. The new chassis are about $15,000 more than the ones on the 2009 chassis. Ours is a 2011 on an '09 chassis. So far we love it and my only regret is that we didn't do this sooner. If you want specific info, feel free to pm me. We are currently on the road and will be home tomorrow.

BTW, we tried to deal with the dealer in Grand Rapids also and we found their reactions to be similar. They were thousands more than Buffalo RV for a 2010 while Buffalo RV gave us a 2011.

I wouldn't call the Berkshire a rich man's toy, but be careful of getting over extended on the RV. The first RV we bought was used and we bought it from a private party. When he went for the close out he had to take what we paid him plus another $14,000 of his own money to get rid of it. He sold it to us for $27,500 and he owed over $42,000 on the rig. RV's are not an investment, but a depreciating asset that can still be fun.

You mentioned a temporary job assignment as a telling factor on your decision. If you would like, I can give you some tax tips on what they may do for you. I'm a CPA and that is part of my practice to help people save taxes.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
RV's are not an investment, but a depreciating asset that can still be fun.
Tax man is right. My parents had a diesel pusher similar in quality and price to the Berkshire. They owned it--and really enjoyed it--for 7 years, but took a BIG bath when they finally got rid of it. Depreciation came to about $2.50 a mile! Dwell on that for a moment. You won't spend that much on fuel...even in Europe!

Someday I will buy a diesel pusher of my own, but after seeing what happened to my parents I will do it with my eyes wide open.

Try this, if you can drive down the highway in your RV and tear up a $100 bill every hour, and still enjoy yourself...you are ready to own a diesel pusher.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We just went thru changing cars to tow. A new blue ox hitch installed was 1000.00. If you have to buy a receiver, thats another 800.00. installation of a breaking system in the car another 400-1200, and the lights installation is another 300.00. So we went with the blue ox instalation for 950.00, reinstalled our Easy Brake receiver, 178.00, and bought a magnet mounted rear lights at Harbor Tools for 24.00. Thats a lot cheaper than 3300.00. We already had the receiver and the break system from our Saturn.

PS Im also a retired Army Aviator. And I know about cost of flying. Check and see if your Kia can be towed. It may have to be towed on a dolly. A lot of foreign cars cannot be towed 4 on the ground.
It can be towed 4 down. I'm checking right now on prices. I think I can do it with the Blue Ox for about $1500 or so.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Why a diesel pusher? You can get a helluva gas Georgetown for $100K. Cheaper to maintain as well ($30 oil changes and such)
Because I need an bunk house, W/D, size, and an RV that can survive a WI winter.

I looked at the Georgetown, it's a very nice coach, just not big enough for the amount of time we are spending in it, and with the bunk house you loose the W/D space (which seems to be the case with all the gas bunk houses)
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens107 View Post

I'm not really paying much more than the $128,000 they are asking and I'm getting a brand new coach with 2 year warranty and a year of road side assistance.

Plus I'm getting the exact color and options that I want.

Plus the dealer is taking my truck and trailer on trade. That will save me a ton on tax and I won't have to take the time and trouble of selling the vehicles out right. The dealer is allowing what I owe on the truck and trailer so it really doesn't even make sense to sell them outright.

If the dealer agrees to the terms I've laid out I'm getting the coach for the low $130's and like I said, it's brand new.

In addition I don't really need to the bigger engine so I guess it makes more sense to go with the smaller engine for weight and fuel consumption reasons.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
That coach has been on the market for a very long time. I'm not sure about why, but I can tell you that as a second owner, there is NO Warranty. That can be huge. I think the price you got from RV Direct (also known as Buffalo RV and RVOne) is for a 2011 on a 2010 chassis. The new chassis are about $15,000 more than the ones on the 2009 chassis. Ours is a 2011 on an '09 chassis. So far we love it and my only regret is that we didn't do this sooner. If you want specific info, feel free to pm me. We are currently on the road and will be home tomorrow.

BTW, we tried to deal with the dealer in Grand Rapids also and we found their reactions to be similar. They were thousands more than Buffalo RV for a 2010 while Buffalo RV gave us a 2011.

I wouldn't call the Berkshire a rich man's toy, but be careful of getting over extended on the RV. The first RV we bought was used and we bought it from a private party. When he went for the close out he had to take what we paid him plus another $14,000 of his own money to get rid of it. He sold it to us for $27,500 and he owed over $42,000 on the rig. RV's are not an investment, but a depreciating asset that can still be fun.

You mentioned a temporary job assignment as a telling factor on your decision. If you would like, I can give you some tax tips on what they may do for you. I'm a CPA and that is part of my practice to help people save taxes.
I hear you on the warranty issue. For what they are letting them go for new, it just really doesn't make sense to buy used.

I also understand about being over extended. I guess your getting hosed one way or another. You either lose it when you put it down or you lose it when you go to sell it. Either way you lose it. Like I said, it's as if you are taking out a mortgage, but the house is guaranteed to depreciate.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
T
I'm an airline pilot. I live in Scottsdale, AZ, but I'm based in Grand Rapids, MI, and for August I will be based in Milwaukee, WI. It's tricky since technically it's not a temporary assignment, and the government considers my base my home for deduction sake.

I guess I can still deduct the interest since it can be classified as a home, correct?

I would be interested to hear what you have to say on the issue though.

Ryan
Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
Tax man is right. My parents had a diesel pusher similar in quality and price to the Berkshire. They owned it--and really enjoyed it--for 7 years, but took a BIG bath when they finally got rid of it. Depreciation came to about $2.50 a mile! Dwell on that for a moment. You won't spend that much on fuel...even in Europe!

Someday I will buy a diesel pusher of my own, but after seeing what happened to my parents I will do it with my eyes wide open.

Try this, if you can drive down the highway in your RV and tear up a $100 bill every hour, and still enjoy yourself...you are ready to own a diesel pusher.
I completely understand what you are saying. It's a lose lose proposition anyway you look at. And when you put it that way, it really takes your breath away. Again, it's not that I can't afford it, but do I really want to spend my money that way. Emotionally I do, but logically and financially this thing makes no sense what so ever unless you have $100 bills to wipe your butt with.

The thing is for the amount of time I have to spend away from home I have to spend the money one way or another. I either spend it on a hotel, on an apartment, or on the RV.

My job has the potential to be very transient and unpredictable so an apartment doesn't really make sense. I have to sign a lease, I need furniture to put in it, utilities, etc, etc.

As far as the hotel goes...does anyone really want to live in a hotel half the year?

The upside to the RV is that, well I don't need to tell you the upside, you get the point. At least I'm dumping money into something I own, not to mention it's a great built in vacation tool for the family. Does any of that make it make sense? I don't know.

Thanks for the perspective, it really made me think about it.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Proud Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyskyhigh View Post
Thanks for the perspective, it really made me think about it.
I hope you don't feel as if I spoiled it for you. That was not my intent. But you seem to have a healthy perspective on it.

Few people who buy a diesel pusher can justify it as well as you can. You seem to have a handle on your needs, and the advantages it brings. I suspect Taxman can help you with the tax benefits off line as well.

Good luck. Keep us posted. When you do make the leap, you will have plenty of help and friends in this forum.
Reese SC WD System 800/10,000 lbs
1976 Cessna 177RG
Wife, son, twin daughters, and mother

red.jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #18

If I may offer my opinion for a second there ...

You state that you want a motorhome because it is so much more convenient and luxurious in your first post. From there on you are set on getting a motorhome. I do not recall what kind of a tow vehicle you have, but you are almost ready to get rid of the tow vehicle and the existing too small 5'th wheel and get a 130,000+ Motorhome.

Unless that is what you are really wishing to purchase and in that case forget what I am about to say, did you consider getting a bigger 5'th wheel which has more space and bunks etc seriously at all ? We all know that there are Humongous 5'th wheels out there suitable for winter use as well. if your tow vehicle is not suitable for a bigger 5'th wheel, there are excellent deals out there. You could easily get a well cared for Diesel Tow vehicle which can tow any 5'th wheel for around 40K, probably less. (I am from Canada and they sell for anywhere from 29K to 40K here and they are not toys like an F-150 or 1500 series trucks, no offense people, I own an F-150). A good 5'th wheel might set you back maybe 50,000 dollars brand new. You are below 100,000 dollars with a better combo.

Can a better bigger 5'th wheel and a bigger tow vehicle (If needed) not be an alternative solution ? You will definitely have more space in a big 5'th wheel for sure, as well as more storage.

I am just throwing it there out there ..... You probably made up your mind on a motorhome, you want one and I fully respect that, as you seem to be able to afford it. Sometimes we do not see the obvious and I wanted to make sure that you entertained this thought already .....

Off topic, What do you fly ? My son has his private pilot license and my daughter started her training towards hers this summer. Yup, Aviation fanatic family here
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.jimbo View Post
I hope you don't feel as if I spoiled it for you. That was not my intent. But you seem to have a healthy perspective on it.

Few people who buy a diesel pusher can justify it as well as you can. You seem to have a handle on your needs, and the advantages it brings. I suspect Taxman can help you with the tax benefits off line as well.

Good luck. Keep us posted. When you do make the leap, you will have plenty of help and friends in this forum.
No worries. You did not spoil my fun at all. Everyone needs reality checks. I'm still mulling over every possible option...including doing nothing at all.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
If I may offer my opinion for a second there ...

You state that you want a motorhome because it is so much more convenient and luxurious in your first post. From there on you are set on getting a motorhome.
I am pretty much nailed down on a diesel pusher because I have analized an naseum what my needs are, and it fits my needs. A nice gas motorhome is out of the question because it in the end is not the best option for what I want I need it to do. The coach is more luxurious and convenient than what I have now. It's all relative.

Quote:
I do not recall what kind of a tow vehicle you have, but you are almost ready to get rid of the tow vehicle and the existing too small 5'th wheel and get a 130,000+ Motorhome.
I don't have a 5th wheel right now. I have a Keystone Cougar 298BHS Travel Trailer. My tow vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited 4X4 with the 5.7L V8, a more than competent tow vehicle for what I am currently asking it to do. The Tundra is a fantastic truck, but there is not way on God's green earth it is going to tow any kind of 5th Wheel. The Cougar is great...but it's a camper, and not meant for a family of 4 plus 2 dogs to live in for any extend period of time. It was meant as more of a low cost experiment to see if this was something that we could and wanted to do. It is.

Quote:
Unless that is what you are really wishing to purchase and in that case forget what I am about to say, did you consider getting a bigger 5'th wheel which has more space and bunks etc seriously at all ?
My original idea was to get a 3500 series truck and full time type 5th wheel. But after looking at everything in upscale 5th wheels and trucks, and then looking at the diesel pushers I just decided that was the better route for us.

Quote:
We all know that there are Humongous 5'th wheels out there suitable for winter use as well.
I loved some of the 5th wheels I looked at, and yes they are definitely built for winter. I looked at the Cedar Creeks, Camio's, Cari-lite's, etc. Amazing vehicles, and they have a ton of space with everything you could possibly think of. I know I would be very happy in a nice high end 5th wheel.

Quote:
If your tow vehicle is not suitable for a bigger 5'th wheel, there are excellent deals out there. You could easily get a well cared for Diesel Tow vehicle which can tow any 5'th wheel for around 40K, probably less. (I am from Canada and they sell for anywhere from 29K to 40K here and they are not toys like an F-150 or 1500 series trucks, no offense people, I own an F-150).
That is correct. Most of the trucks I was looking at, and am still looking at are in the $30K-$40K price range. I'm just not sure that I want that big of a truck as a daily driver, which it will have to be if I go the 5th wheel route. And not that I'm opposed to it, but then I have to go find a truck (which can be hard to do, I looked for 4 months before I bought the Tundra), and go through the headache and pain of dealing with yet a another dealership.

Quote:
A good 5'th wheel might set you back maybe 50,000 dollars brand new. You are below 100,000 dollars with a better combo.
Correct again. I was looking at a totally loaded Cedar Creek and I didn't get any hard numbers, but I'm guessing it would be in the $50K-$60K range.

The issue here is that monthly outlay of cash would be about the same because you have to finance the truck, which has a higher interest rate and shorter term than the RV. Yea, you might be spending $20K to $40K less, but I'm not really that worried about that since I don't plan on keeping either loan to maturation.

Since I'm really just looking at what it costs me to own on a monthly basis, I want the best deal on what ever it is I'm going to buy (so I don't end up crazy upside down the second I drive it off the lot, and I can sell it down the road when needed without taking a bigger hit than necessary). I'm going to take deprecation no matter which direction I decide to go, I just want to stay within my monthly budget and take as little depreciation as possible.

Like I said, I have to spend the money every month one way or another be it a hotel, apartment, or RV. At least with the RV I'm wasting money on something I own that has the potential to have equity at some point.

If I buy a coach and sell it in a year, I'm going to lose big. If I buy a 5th wheel and sell it in a year, I'm going to lose big.

Obviously price is a factor since I'm not a millionaire, but in the end the price isn't really all that much different, and since I feel the motorhome is better suited to our needs at this time, that's the road I'm heading down right now.

Quote:
Can a better bigger 5'th wheel and a bigger tow vehicle (If needed) not be an alternative solution ?
Yes it is still an option, but a second one.

Quote:
You will definitely have more space in a big 5'th wheel for sure, as well as more storage.
That's what I thought too, but have you spent any time in a 390BH? I'm not so sure anymore. That thing with is huge!

Quote:
I am just throwing it there out there ..... You probably made up your mind on a motorhome, you want one and I fully respect that, as you seem to be able to afford it. Sometimes we do not see the obvious and I wanted to make sure that you entertained this thought already .....
Yes, I have thought about it good and hard. I'm a pilot, I'm paid to see every possible out come and pick the best one. But as a pilot just like with everything else, the best outcome still might not be a good one. I kid.

I'm still considering the Cedar Creek, but I'm not telling the dealer that. I want them to think it's the Berkshire or I'm walking away.

And I will most definitely walk away. I have taken the emotion out of it because I know that I don't truly "NEED" it. When I say the Berkshire meets outs "needs", I mean that if I was to buy a new RV, it would be best suited for how I was going to use it. I'm pretty sure life would go on without it.

I have laid out very specific terms that I would like to purchase the coach at and made it very clear that I will not budge. If they can't do it, they can't do. I will go back to looking at the 5th Wheels and if I decide I don't want to go the 5th wheel route I'll sell what I got and move on to plan C. I just don't know what plan C is yet.

To be honest I'm asking them to sell me a new 2010/2011 coach for something in the mid $120's to low $130, and I'm fully expecting them to be unable to do it. But if they can....then I take the deal and run. Since a used late model diesel pusher is still going to run you $100-$115 I figure $125-$130 for a new one with warranty is a pretty smoking deal.

Thanks for talking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it. I know how time consuming it can be to sit down here an type a long response, and I thank you for it. I also respect your suggestions, as I really haven't been doing this that long.

Quote:
Off topic, What do you fly ? My son has his private pilot license and my daughter started her training towards hers this summer. Yup, Aviation fanatic family here
I'm a captain on a EMB145 jet for a major airline here in the US. Don't let your kids become airline pilots!!!!!! It's a terrible career, maybe not in Canada, but here in the US it is. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't. As I always say, "I love my work, I hate my job." They will have to buy $130K motor homes to live in half the year if they commute to work.

Tags
390bh, berkshire