Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #1

I Surrender! (Cockpit glass replacement)

Spent the better part of yesterday with a friend trying to remove the cockpit window on my 2011 390QS. The stationary piece of glass next to the slider has seal failure. Received the replacement glass earlier in the week from a company in N. Carolina. To remove the window, you 1st have to remove the wall cabinet above the window to get to the screws that hold the window in place. That in itself was not easy. The bottom of the cabinet has 3 layers; all must be removed to get to 3 screws! Then the next issue is to remove the left side dashboard console under the window. Got the top section off with no problem. Looked inside to see what else was needed to remove the base of that console. What a nightmare! There is a least 20 screws holding the base to the outside wall & to the front section of the dash in front of the steering wheel. You would have to dismantle some of the front dash to be able to get to the screws to remove the left side base console. At that point I waved the red flag and put the dash back together. I am now looking for someone to do what I could not, change one lousy piece of glass! I cannot believe they would put a window like that in anything! I was a general contractor for over 25 years & never saw a window system so difficult to repair or remove! And looking around the coach, every window has a cabinet above it that hides screws that need to be removed if you were to repair or replace that unit. Unbelievable! Well while I wait to hear from a few people about the window issue, it's on to re-upholstering the two cockpit chairs! Received new covers from Flex Steel a week ago. That should be a cake walk compared to yesterday's fiasco!
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Chester, have the model of coach and same fogged window. Have looked at it also, what a PIA to get it out. Thought of just breaking the inside glass carefully and leaving it a single plane of glass. Saw on one forum where one person did it. Guess I'm a bit chicken to do it. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Most insurance companies cover glass under comprehensive. 100% and does not raise your rates. Would be ashamed if a rock kicked up from the road and broke the window.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement