Originally Posted by mjracsj
2011 Berkshire 390RB with Progressive power converter. My unit was not subjected to the recall that was a hot topic 2 years ago and has worked fine. Today I arrived at my parents' house where they have a 50 amp RV plug in which we have used without issue every visit. Instead of me plugging in my cord (which I am always super careful about doing with the breaker off and plugging cord in securely) I allowed a well meaning relative to do it. A popping noise followed and the power did not come on in the coach, and noticed a burning smell coming from the converter and my Hughes Autoformer (which I was told was a good voltage regulator and surge protection device) was making a horrible buzzing noise. I quickly flipped the breaker off in the house and saw that the shore power plug was only pushed in halfway. The generator still works but now shore power does not. We tested power from the house outlet after this and it all checked out fine. The half- in plug must have caused a brownout-type condition (which the Hughes Autoformer was supposed to protect against but obviously did not!) and we checked inside the Progressive converter and saw the shore power part of it (the relay switch on the top half) seems burned and stuck :/
Will I need a whole new converter or can just the shore power part of it be replaced?
I will also be inquiring with the Hughes Autoformer people as to why this supposedly great protection device failed me.
Anyone else had anything like this happen?
I'm not sure I understand..... AFAIK, Progressive does not make a "power converter" which I assume what you're really meaning is the device that converts 120V shore power to 12 volt coach power to work lights (and any other 12 volt items), charge the house batts, etc.
I don't know what Hughes Autoformer is, nor it's function. But it sounds like it does (or is supposed to do) the same thing that my Progressive model EMS-HW50C is supposed to do; that is surge protection and handling "voltage protection" (under voltage, over voltage, open neutral, etc).
Whenever I plug into shore power, the EMS-HW50C monitors what is going on for about 15 seconds. If everything checks out, a monster relay snaps closed (you can hear it plainly), and then full shore power is sent on to the transfer switch and the entire coach is then "live".
If a problem of any sort, full power us NOT energized and an error code reads out on the EMS-HW50C.
Not sure why a brown out condition (due to improper plug insertion) would not be caught by your Autoformer, but it does sound like your transfer switch is (at least partially) shot.