Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #21

Good deal! I put a vacuum break on ours to solve this issue. To get all the water in the tank I also added a tee off to the drain at the bottom of the tank.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I wish that Russell would elaborate more on his tubing location. As for how siphoning works, three things need happen. First the output must be lower then the input. Secondly, liquid must be higher then the tube's input and lastly, the tube must be primed by being filled with liquid.

Siphoning will happen with these conditions and will continue until either the output tube is raised higher then the liquid level or liquid in the tank falls below the tube input.

Since we do not want siphoning is why the tube is cut 1 1/5" higher then the tank.

Hank I think you all are on to something I am just being lazy and looking at who can do it without much work.

Wayne

Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #23

This is the overflow for a Tiffin Allegro Bus. You can see a vacuum break on top of the piping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439600395.244342.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	85739

Wayne
Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #24

If You Want More Fresh Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Russell what if you did that but added to the length of the overflow tube would it still siphon

Wayne

Well in my mind one could pull the current hose up like I did. Then add a larger hose with the old hose stuck in the top-- thus making an air gap between the two hoses.

That may be what others are doing. Heck we are aways leaking water in that compartment anyway. On the other side. Tank fill, black tank flush, and city water. One or the other puts water in there so if I would run some out the overflow no big deal. I don't run any out because I have a hole cut to watch the tank fill

The siphoning occurred in a turn or braking with the tank full.

Russell
Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #25

FYI - See the email that I sent to Randy:

Hi Randy:

I recently posted a water tank modification on the FR forum and thought that you might be interested. Mike Bukowski told a buddy of mine that FR hasn't heard about the problems. I feel that the problems are real and most just do not know that they are there (with the exception of the bad access door latches).

Read post #1 of the following to see the modification:
If You Want More Fresh Water

It is a bad design when there is a 100 gallon tank where the bottom 25 gallons cannot be accessed, thus meaning carrying around 208 useless pounds and the top 21 gallons, siphons out. This means the big beautiful motorhome can only have 54 gallons of water for use.

My modification only addresses eliminating the top loss of 21 gallons by siphoning. Although my post mostly talks about a method to get the tank full without siphoning, probably all do not realize that once on the road, the overflow tube will be filled by the water swishing around and once filled, 21 gallons will be dumped on the road without anyone knowing.

The problems that I find with the water bay are:
  1. The compartment door latches are terrible and difficult to access.
  2. The tank pump inlet is located on the side of the tank wherein the pump starts sucking air with 25 gallons in the tank. Putting the pump inlet on the bottom is one solution, or having plastic L-shaped device inserted into the tank's floor is another solution.
  3. The drain is also up on the tank's side, thereby meaning the tank cannot be completely drained.
  4. The overflow is on the side of the tank and if the tank is fully filled, 21 gallons will either siphon out immediately or while on the road. My simple modification fixes that and makes for 75 useable gallons.
  5. Only 54 gallons are presently useable.
Besides the water tank's water fittings location being a very bad design, it appears that it was thoughtless (that is what is depressing). Would a car be designed where it cannot get to the bottom 5 gallons of gas?

I hope that you are doing well and I hope that my input is addressed to make the Berkshire even better. I do not see where correcting the problems is a big money deal.

Hank
Old 08-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #26

And have you received any reply from Randy?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #27

One does not have to be an engineer to out think FR engineers.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #28

FR diesel has a new engineer as of last year I believe. We met him and my impression is he is a sharp guy. He is certainly willing to listen. We mostly deal with Randy and there is no one better or more passionate about helping customers than he is. I believe the upper management has been replaced at Diesel and everyone I have talked to is excited about the direction the line is going. We also talked about one of the guys at the top stepping up and participating in the forum. I'm not sure if they will or not but I sure hope they will.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #29
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

You guys are beating yourselves up here. When I fill the tank, I just put a bolt in the over flow tube. I don't lose a drop.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #30
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

AFTER it is full, not while filling it.

Tags
fresh water, water