Old 08-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #31

Just returned from two weeks on the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. Great trip!
While inspecting the unit, I noticed something in the bottom of the PUR water filter so I removed the filter element to find about a jigger full of "black sand". Never seen this before, but we would have been drinking it if not for the 2 micron filter. Guess I'll be running city water through it till it clears out. Don't know which CG we picked it up, but we will be on the lookout next trip.
For those using inline filters, that much "sand" would have totally stopped their filters.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
You guys are beating yourselves up here. When I fill the tank, I just put a bolt in the over flow tube. I don't lose a drop.

That work quite well until you forget to remove bolt. What if you use it while on the road ??

Russell

Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #33

Following
Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
That work quite well until you forget to remove bolt. What if you use it while on the road ??

Russell

I agree. No way would I but a bolt in the overflow. One reason is I'm don't always smart enough to shut the water off. In fact I pressure tested my WT at Goshen Saturday. I started filling the tank and got talking with some neighbors and it filled for at least an hour. The tank was extremely bulging. With out the overflow it could have damaged it. as it is I was lucky.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #35
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

I put it in after it is full so while traveling nothing splashes out the over flow tube.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #36

Quote:
You guys are beating yourselves up here. When I fill the tank, I just put a bolt in the over flow tube. I don't lose a drop.
Not a good idea to plug the overflow line with a bolt. This line does three things; it lets air out of the tank when filling, lets excess water out if over filled and most importantly it lets air in when the pump draws water out.

Also, about the tank bulging, that happens because the tank is shaped like a bladder. The water is just filling its full volume, which expands the top.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Not a good idea to plug the overflow line with a bolt. This line does three things; it lets air out of the tank when filling, lets excess water out if over filled and most importantly it lets air in when the pump draws water out.

Also, about the tank bulging, that happens because the tank is shaped like a bladder. The water is just filling its full volume, which expands the top.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
This is the overflow for a Tiffin Allegro Bus. You can see a vacuum break on top of the piping.

Attachment 85739

Wayne
With regards to the Allegro Bus plumbing, the overflow comes out the top of the tank (not side), which means it will not siphon. The vacuum break isn't really necessary but what it does is that when there is a negative pressure caused by the pump working, it allows air into the tank. A nice extra.

Putting a vacuum break into the Berk overflow will not stop siphoning. Also, by the way, our water tank vents from the street, With my mod. (post #1), it vents from the inside of the compartment.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #39

Yikes - I had a brain spasm. This thread which I started, I said that the fresh water capacity was 100 gallons. My bad, it is 86 gallons.

Based on 86 gal., my lower 22 gal cannot be drawn (see pics. in post #1, which means carrying 183 lbs of inaccessible water. My overflow is then at the 68 gal. point, which means if the 18 gallons above the overflow (for a full tank) siphons out. there would only be 68 gal. in the tank with 68 - 22, or only 46 useable gallons. That is a kick in the pants since we all thought that we had 86 useable gallons.

By putting in the anti-siphon feature that I demonstrated, you can at least get 86 - 22, or 64 useable gallons.

One disclaimer - the above is based on the way my tank is plumbed. If the installers eyeball where they put the fittings in, then yours could be better or worse. Hank
Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wasn't going to look through 86 posts to see but was it mentioned that they include your wh tank as fw capacity?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"

Tags
fresh water, water