Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #21

[QUOTE=rjshiflet;1039382]When we got our new Columbus, I switched to Good Sam (National General) and they bundled my three vehicles into the coverage and it was significant savings. The second year the cost went up about 18%...the third year it was up another 40% and the back-breaker was the fourth year when I had a $1,200 claim on my Altima and they sent me an invoice for an increase of 160%.

That's when I told them what I sincerely thought of their business and switched back to my Texas Farm Bureau insurance that I had used for the past 35 years.

I still get emails and mailings from Good Sam telling me they can cut my insurance costs, but now I know (from previous dealings) that it's basically a very low introductory rate with methodical increases 'til you have your first fender bender...then, WATCH OUT!!![/QUOTE

Don't even need an accident for them to raise their rates. My rates went up 60 percent one year. When we questioned them why the big increase they said it was because they ''re-rated' my motor home. Still don't know what that means, but needless to say, we no longer give them our business. And yes, we continually get mailings from them telling us how much they can save us, which of course they can't even come close to what we now pay.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #22

This may seem obvious, but start with the company that insures your cars. When we bought our tt I spent hours on the phone with several companies and got the best deal at the company where we were already a customer. Adding the tt to our existing auto policies turned out to be a lot less expensive than buying a new policy from a new company. Assuming that you're happy with your current insurance company, it's worth having a chat with them before making a decision.
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #23

National General (Good Sam) here. Have not had any claims, so can't speak to that. Had progressive before and they were about the same price but did not have a storage option. With GS, I just keep comp. on the coach in the winter (plus my buddy, Phil, said to ditch progressive) The other reason for GS was that they insure coach for replacement cost for first (3 or5 ) years. I also switched to coach net. Good reputation and it's cheaper.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #24

Thanks again all. The "shopping" is now complete and the info you folks provided was great. Looks like I am going with "National General". One thing that I learned that was kind of interesting- the cost of the insurance from any particular insurance company changes a little bit based on the "broker" you are using. I compared "National General" going through both Good Sam and Miller Insurance (broker) and it was a little bit less expensive going through Miller than what Good Sam had quoted for the exact same coverage. I know it is all based on the contract the broker has with the carrier, but it was still interesting to me. Thanks again! -Glenn
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Thanks again all. The "shopping" is now complete and the info you folks provided was great. Looks like I am going with "National General". One thing that I learned that was kind of interesting- the cost of the insurance from any particular insurance company changes a little bit based on the "broker" you are using. I compared "National General" going through both Good Sam and Miller Insurance (broker) and it was a little bit less expensive going through Miller than what Good Sam had quoted for the exact same coverage. I know it is all based on the contract the broker has with the carrier, but it was still interesting to me. Thanks again! -Glenn

Interesting...

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #26

Quote:
X2 Glenn! Our quote direct from Good Sam versus going through our Escapees/IRV2 broker was almost 50% cheaper I could not believe it!

Item for item it tracked. The only difference is the Escapees group rate discount. Amazing!

(BTW, I just renewed yesterday)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #27

Thanks Bob. I just sent you a PM about the insurance. -Glenn
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks Bob. I just sent you a PM about the insurance. -Glenn
Glenn, PM replied to!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
In addition to insurance you'll want to look at roadside assistance. I recommend Coach Net.

We had Coach Net - the operator had no clue where Maine was and or where teh nearest Froest River Auth dealer was for us to replace the window trim for our picture window that came out on a 3 day old trailer.

they were of no assistance at all.
We have since then gone with Good Sam roadside assistance and have made 4 calls without issue.

Tags
insurance