Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Insurance..who is best cost with still good service?

I am sure I will get many different answers, but time for insurance to renew and I am not happy with my Progressive quote. 2013 Berkshire 390FL, no accidents, no claims over the last 8 years and they want $3,000. Who should I look at for a better rate?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
Brake is on left

D@mn. We dont pay that for two cars, a truck, a motorcycle and a TT. Holy carp. What state are you in? We are with Main Street America and our agent beat USAA on all fronts.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #3

Almost impossible to be very helpful ... everyone rate is dependent on too many different factors. Where you live (down to zip code), credit rating, age (of you and vehicle), driving record, number of drivers, deductibles, coverages needed, amounts of limits and a few other things.

About all you can do is get on the phone start calling and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Just for someone to call we have been with Geico for three years. 2nd year rates went DOWN $15 (for two cars and motorhome..but it was down!), 3rd year went down again. Granted it was only a dollar but again it was DOWN. They also had the best rate last time I checked around. I check every two or three years just to keep everyone honest.
FYI, if you have Forest River product you get an additinal discount as both companies are owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
D@mn. We dont pay that for two cars, a truck, a motorcycle and a TT. Holy carp. What state are you in? We are with Main Street America and our agent beat USAA on all fronts.

Central Florida...and that is just the motorhome through Progressive via USAA...
Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
Almost impossible to be very helpful ... everyone rate is dependent on too many different factors. Where you live (down to zip code), credit rating, age (of you and vehicle), driving record, number of drivers, deductibles, coverages needed, amounts of limits and a few other things.

About all you can do is get on the phone start calling and make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Just for someone to call we have been with Geico for three years. 2nd year rates went DOWN $15 (for two cars and motorhome..but it was down!), 3rd year went down again. Granted it was only a dollar but again it was DOWN. They also had the best rate last time I checked around. I check every two or three years just to keep everyone honest.
FYI, if you have Forest River product you get an additinal discount as both companies are owned by Berkshire Hathaway.

Thanks for info! Realize everyone is different but want to use others experience shopping around to figure out best companies to contact.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #6

Had my 2011 Berkshire 390QS coach registered & insured in S. Dakota last season. Had Progressive through USAA. The bill was around $2300/yr. Moved both my registration & insurance back to MA where I reside now full time and my bill was around $800 with better coverage & higher limits. Also found that registration was $60/yr. in MA vs $437/yr. in S. Dakota. Have to pay for an inspection sticker now in MA every year for $35 which I did not have to do in S.D. Also have to pay for excise tax in MA every year which is $158/yr. which S.D. does not have. Saved around $1600/yr. staying with "Taxachusetts!"
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

That seems super high. I live in Los Angeles, where insurance rates are supposedly very high. I have National General and pay about $1080/year and that is with high coverages as we include the RV in our Umbrella policy.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

USAA was sky high. I’ve been with them 50 years. Best rates on the market until you get to RVs. If eligible, try GEICO. I put an old pickup on the policy along with my MH and got a multi-car discount.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPfulltimers View Post
I am sure I will get many different answers, but time for insurance to renew and I am not happy with my Progressive quote. 2013 Berkshire 390FL, no accidents, no claims over the last 8 years and they want $3,000. Who should I look at for a better rate?
WHAT ????
We have 3 vehicles and the camper and pay around $2K per year....
Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #10

Live in Missouri, had an independent agent. got a quote from Farmers Insurance. My agent said "can't find anything to match it, let alone beat it". i switched. Had a small collision, insurance was prompt and easy to deal with
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

I just went from Progressive to Geico on my Harley.
I think Progressive spends too much on Flo and her TV advertising.
I have AAA on my Surveyor, $68/yr.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #12

RV Insurance

I pay $442 yr for a 2019 Forester thru Progressive. Everywhere else it was at least $800+. I am not a fan of Progressive after one of their policy holders run through my less than 1 year old cedar fence. Got screwed and only got ⅓ of what it would cost to fix the fence. Had to fix it myself. But sometimes you have to compromise on cost and insurance companies. Insurance is needed and required.
Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Hill View Post
Had my 2011 Berkshire 390QS coach registered & insured in S. Dakota last season. Had Progressive through USAA. The bill was around $2300/yr. Moved both my registration & insurance back to MA where I reside now full time and my bill was around $800 with better coverage & higher limits. Also found that registration was $60/yr. in MA vs $437/yr. in S. Dakota. Have to pay for an inspection sticker now in MA every year for $35 which I did not have to do in S.D. Also have to pay for excise tax in MA every year which is $158/yr. which S.D. does not have. Saved around $1600/yr. staying with "Taxachusetts!"
No way really?! Is it because S Dakota has to make tax revenue up somewhere since they don't have income tax?
BostonRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #14

Smile

Try GEICO. I have 1 car, 1 pickup, 1 suv and TT. my annual is $2283 for multi-vehicle discount, retired military and also with Homeowners Insurance with GEICO. And did I mention live in Maryland about 30 miles southeast of Washington DC.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #15

I used Good Sam and had a broker do the work for me. I'm with National General and while I have not had to file a claim since going with them (3 years now), the agent did all the work of finding me the best insurance for my needs as they look at rates from numerous insurance companies without you having to go through that hassle. No phone calls, emails or junk mail from companies where I had requested a quote.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 AM   #16

So I have progressive and pay $1400. Here is my coverage, because with out listing it- pricing means nothing. Remember to keep that uninsured up- that is your coverage when the person that hits you has no insurance or the minimum 15k policy which will do nothing for you.

MH value 130k
500k lib
500k uninsured
10k personal stuff
1000 ded.
towing
5k for a trailer
10k vacation interruption

For NJ this seem like a good price. I have gotten quotes for 2-3 times as much.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #17
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I used Good Sam and had a broker do the work for me. I'm with National General and while I have not had to file a claim since going with them (3 years now), the agent did all the work of finding me the best insurance for my needs as they look at rates from numerous insurance companies without you having to go through that hassle. No phone calls, emails or junk mail from companies where I had requested a quote.
I had Good Sam (National General), but when I had a claim, the agent that was assigned was in a different time zone, not very practical. Next year went with GEICO.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #18

I found Central Florida to be REAL HIGH on vehicle insurance. We are In the Tampa Bay area. We moved from Northern Michigan a couple of years ago and the rates here are 6x higher than they were in Michigan on the Travel trailer. They are about 2x higher on the vehicle.

We ended up with Progressive using an independent insurance agent.
2021 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
oldcomputerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPfulltimers View Post
Central Florida...and that is just the motorhome through Progressive via USAA...
I've heard from a few people that USAA is way too high. I would deal directly with Progressive first and see if it's lower then check with the others. The only reason I stick with progressive is the fact they are one of the few that will replace the whole unit if it's damaged badly with a brand new unit of the year of the problem for up to 5 years before they pro-rate it. I have one year to go then I might switch if I can find a lower rate.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 AM   #20

We have insured with USAA for every vehicle we have had since my return from So. Vietnam in 1969, including boats, trailers, homes, cars, SUV's et. al. Many claims. No problems.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, service