Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #21

Hi Craig, We bought a jet pak and tried it out for the first time this weekend. Pretty cool. I think it will be just fine for our needs. Thanks Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #22

Verizon gave me a jetpack (no charge) when I added it to my plan. It works most places and then there is no worry about needing my phone for other things!

None of the other cell providers work as well as Verizon in the areas I camp in. Have fun!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
Looks interesting, and for full-timer looks really great... glancing at activation fees and reactivations it loses a little luster if you were gonna use it a month or so then shut it off and reactivate. I think I'd want to talk through THAT process with 'em. DEFINITELY a deal if you're hitting 10-20 gig of data a month consistently. Good catch.
If you have a verizon shared data plan, you can buy more data for the months you're traveling and keep it lower when at home.
VERIZON OR MiLLENECOM using the Verizon 4G netwwork??
Yup Gottawunder...excellent points...
  • The low on Verizon is 40 bucks a month if your using your phone as a wifi hub and can live with one gig. If you add their jetback that adds 20 bucks a month so VERIZON costs $40-$60 MINIMUM for a month for a single gig of data. You cannot simply turn it off in months when you don't need it.
  • Now 20 gigs like the millenecom gives you costs $150 a month + the mifi device @$20 (if you go that route) from Verizon...So...Verizon $150 to 170/month vs. $90 from Millenicom.Note that Millenecom lets you slide a little bit if you go over 20gb...you pay $15 a gig to Verizon if you go over.
  • With a minimum level of $40 bucks @Verizon vs. $90 minimum from Millenicom...Verizon can save you 50 bucks a month MAXIMUM over Millenecom... but will COST you $60 bucks more a month or more when you do use big gigs on the road. .... Net net...assuming no turning on and off with Millenecom...somewhere around 5 months a year use(or slightly less if you do the mifi device)...the Millenecom plan beats the cheapest verizon plan. If you don't use the RV around 5 months a year...Verizon SHOULD be cheaper IF you can plan your use and make the ADVANCE adjustments in your plan GIGS. Remember if you guess on the light side...EVERY GIG costs you $15 bucks!!

So...armed with the knowledge of the differences, their own use needs and travel plans, hopefully people will make the best decision for themselves.

In related news...
I note that Millenecoms site today is using a completely different hot spot than the relabled Verizon one we discussed earlier in the week. This disturbs me and I'd caution anyone to wait till the reviews are in on this from actuall users. WE KNOW the relabled "jet pack" works...we know nothing of this new model. Will try to keep an eye on this and post any updates I come across.

FWIW...TODAY I signed on for a Verizon plan based on our more limited travel needs...so I'm definitely not pushing one thing over another.

Happy hunting to all!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #24

Interesting about the Millenecom changing hot spot.

Another part-timer option is Verizion prepaid Jet Pack plan. Was surfing used Jetpacks on craigslist and discovered this: Prepaid Jetpack -Verizon Wireless No activation or reconnect fees.

My family shares 8 gigs a month on Verizon currently, so adding gigs during our heavy use months isn't a big trick..

NOW HOLD THE PHONE, SO TO SPEAK

I logged into Verizon to look at monthly plans... They are listing an internet only plan that is more in line with the Millenecom plan... $20/mo device access plus $110/month for 20 gig... the advantage there is you could taper that down to 4 gig for $50/month ($20 access + $30 data) on your slack months. I also found an error on the page, and chatted with customer service about it ...they were showing $5/month in one part of the page for jetpack access and $20/month on another. He said pricing was $20/mo but it'll be interesting to see if there's new pricing in the works or if a web designer fat fingered...it was pretty glaring to me, but these things happen.

Set Your Location

Also note that data for phone + internet is more expensive than "internet only" plans. If i was full-timing and planning to rely on the jetpack, I'd be hard pressed to add it to my existing phone plan.

Everyone confused yet?

As a part timer I'm going to consider a prepaid. One PLUS of going that way is I can start a new "month" the day I start a trip.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #25

What we do:

Have internet capable phones and use them during travel

Use campground wifi for more serious surfing when parked.

I can get a 'hotspot' so my phone acts as a router for other devices, but so far we haven't thought it was worth the money. That may change when our 5 kids get a bit older...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote