Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
internet on the go

any suggestions for internet connectivity while on the road. The GPS requires a wifi connection for real time traffic and weather. is a mifi card better than a smartphone that can be a hotspot? any idea the amount of data needed for that kind of usage? Is there a satellite service that might be better than a cell service? Is satellite available on the move? Haven't done much research on that yet.

most places we've stayed advertise wifi but experience has been limited at best, and not always good to share a public access for certain transactions.

frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
We use a verizon mifi up and down the east coast without issue. My wife has it through her employer so I don't know the details of it.

Enjoyingtheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390BH
Frank, I use a Jetpack. I am told it uses the same amount of data that you would use if you made your phone a Hot Spot, the only difference is that if you get a call on your cellphone, while it is a Hot Spot, it cuts out the Internet connection. I have a 10 Gig plan. Enough for 3 phones and the Jetpack to date. Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Verizon MiFi is the way to go. Very easy to use and you can connect up to 5 things to it.
TT = 2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 318TSBHK
TV = 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L V8
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
I would say use your phone as the hotspot. This way you don't have to pay the cost for an additional device on your data plan!
Cumming, GA
2013 Georgetown 351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Verizon Mifi is what we use and it is great especially since Verizon pretty much has the best coverage of anyone. BEWARE, normal email activity uses very little data but if you start downloading lots of videos (youtube, movies, etc) your data usage will go thru the roof. And Verizon makes it really easy to monitor and manager your account online too.
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
I use the Verizon WIFI that way the kids can use their computers and tablets, as needed. You can set your plan for 4 gigs of data and up, in 2gig increments. the price isn't prohibitive, and it keeps everyone happy.
Mac 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
Started out using a Mifi but converted when the smart phones came out. No cost for the Mifi unit when we took the additional line, $200.00 for the smart phone. We wanted the smart phone (grand-daughter) so the additional usage (Mifi) was a benefit.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
I use the straight talk hot spot. Works well on the East cost. 3G speed, but works good. No contract, can buy several different refil cards that last for 30 or 60 days.
2015 Ford Expedition EL
2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Thanks everyone. We need to get ready for 6-8 months on the road. Craig, if we are on the computer (with wifi hotspot) and a call comes in we lose or connection. Did I understand that correctly?

frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote