Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

Inverter question.

My inverter screen says bulk charging for the last 2 days. It says 12. V but the charger light is blinking. It has never been on bulk charge this long before. I reset the inverter and checked the batteries. Any ideas of a problem? Seems like it's not charging. Also FYI - I have the upgraded control screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

More info is needed. What do you actually have a converter (120VAC to 13VDC) or an inverter (12VDC to 120VAC)? What's the make/model? Is it plugged in and does it have power?

Just a shot in the dark here, you are talking about a converter, and it probably doesn't have 120VAC.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Magnum inverter. It's standard on the berkshire coaches. Seems like it's not allowing it to charge the battery bank.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Since we are in the Berkshire section and his avatar picture shows it, I assume the OP has a Berkshire with the factory Inverter/Converter.
(edit: OP beat me to it)
I'm afraid I do not have any help to offer of any value.
I would think the blinking light tells something though.
Do you have the manual for it?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Yes the manual says. Low battery voltage. The led light in the inverter blinks 1 time in 4 seconds. It has to be charged to clear the fault. However, it's not charging. I tried the reset and also cut power to the coach to try to see if it would clear. It did not clear. At suggestions?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

A fully charged battery will be nearer 13 volts, if yours is saying 12 then it probably is failing and the charge cycle of the inverter is trying its best to get the battery charged. If you have a de-sulfating cycle for the inverter/charger you might try that on the battery. Battery age is?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

Their are 4 batteries. They are 2 years old.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Klucas, I also have the upgraded monitor. I do not know if you are plugged in to power or using the generator. This last weekend, while dry camping, I could not get past bulk charging, even though the screen said it was at 13 volts. When I returned home, I plugged into 30 amp and I got it to float charge stage. I also upped my charge rate to 40%. I tried 100%, but it didn't seem to matter, when I was dry camping. I also used the battery test light indicator in the panel that has the tank levels. It indicated that the batteries were fully charged. I noticed my remote panel, that there is a setting for how long to bulk charge. You might want to check out that setting. Hope that is of some help. Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #9

Yes I'm plugged in to 50amp. I did the same- changed the charge rate. I upped the charge time also but nothing has worked. I tried the reset button on the inverter itself. Once I get home I may do the alternative reset listed in manual. It says to remove positive lead for a minute. I was hoping someone had a quick fix. Maybe I have something wrong in The set up or something.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #10

I had the same problem when attempting to get a full charge in high heat. After opening inverter and battery compartment and extending battery tray ... problem resolved

Tags
inverter