Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Inverter question.

My inverter screen says bulk charging for the last 2 days. It says 12. V but the charger light is blinking. It has never been on bulk charge this long before. I reset the inverter and checked the batteries. Any ideas of a problem? Seems like it's not charging. Also FYI - I have the upgraded control screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

More info is needed. What do you actually have a converter (120VAC to 13VDC) or an inverter (12VDC to 120VAC)? What's the make/model? Is it plugged in and does it have power?

Just a shot in the dark here, you are talking about a converter, and it probably doesn't have 120VAC.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Magnum inverter. It's standard on the berkshire coaches. Seems like it's not allowing it to charge the battery bank.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Since we are in the Berkshire section and his avatar picture shows it, I assume the OP has a Berkshire with the factory Inverter/Converter.
(edit: OP beat me to it)
I'm afraid I do not have any help to offer of any value.
I would think the blinking light tells something though.
Do you have the manual for it?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Yes the manual says. Low battery voltage. The led light in the inverter blinks 1 time in 4 seconds. It has to be charged to clear the fault. However, it's not charging. I tried the reset and also cut power to the coach to try to see if it would clear. It did not clear. At suggestions?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

A fully charged battery will be nearer 13 volts, if yours is saying 12 then it probably is failing and the charge cycle of the inverter is trying its best to get the battery charged. If you have a de-sulfating cycle for the inverter/charger you might try that on the battery. Battery age is?
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Their are 4 batteries. They are 2 years old.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Klucas, I also have the upgraded monitor. I do not know if you are plugged in to power or using the generator. This last weekend, while dry camping, I could not get past bulk charging, even though the screen said it was at 13 volts. When I returned home, I plugged into 30 amp and I got it to float charge stage. I also upped my charge rate to 40%. I tried 100%, but it didn't seem to matter, when I was dry camping. I also used the battery test light indicator in the panel that has the tank levels. It indicated that the batteries were fully charged. I noticed my remote panel, that there is a setting for how long to bulk charge. You might want to check out that setting. Hope that is of some help. Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

Yes I'm plugged in to 50amp. I did the same- changed the charge rate. I upped the charge time also but nothing has worked. I tried the reset button on the inverter itself. Once I get home I may do the alternative reset listed in manual. It says to remove positive lead for a minute. I was hoping someone had a quick fix. Maybe I have something wrong in The set up or something.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #10

I had the same problem when attempting to get a full charge in high heat. After opening inverter and battery compartment and extending battery tray ... problem resolved
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I had the same problem when attempting to get a full charge in high heat. After opening inverter and battery compartment and extending battery tray ... problem resolved

Thanks for the input. I drove all day yesterday. The batteries were charging from the alternator( I didn't run genset). I got home and plugged in and it did the same thing again. It was showing 12.5v on screen. I guess I will call tech support today at magnum and hope for good news.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Klucas, did you get the issue resolved? Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
Denver, CO

I think your magnum is toast.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
Klucas, did you get the issue resolved? Craig

Craig
I called magnum. They had me pull off the battery lead and let it sit for 20min. He called it a hard reset. Put the lead back on and it was still doing the same thing. So now it looks like I need a new one. Of coarse it is just 4 months out of warranty.
Ken

Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I think your magnum is toast.

You are correct, unfortunately.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Craig
I called magnum. They had me pull off the battery lead and let it sit for 20min. He called it a hard reset. Put the lead back on and it was still doing the same thing. So now it looks like I need a new one. Of coarse it is just 4 months out of warranty.
Ken

Ken,
It would never dare to fail while it was still under warranty! That would be too easy! (LOL!) Call Magnum back and see if they will do anything for you towards replacing the unit.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Ken,

It would never dare to fail while it was still under warranty! That would be too easy! (LOL!) Call Magnum back and see if they will do anything for you towards replacing the unit.

Tom

Tom
I did, they were glad to point me to a few of there qualified vendors. Ha. I do have a plea to FR to see if they can twist a ear for me. Maybe that will work.
Ken

Old 08-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #18

Ken... based on what you've posted...I wouldn't rule out a battery issue causing the inverter issue. If you drove several hours...the batts should be reading above 13V when you stop...falling to 12.6-7 IF disconnected at the negative line for 12-24 hours.
You might wanna check that before incurring an expensive repair.
Bulk charging on a Magnum ought to be somewhere north of 14.2 V...I'd put a voltmeter on the BATTERY terminals while it is indicating bulk charging and see what voltage you see at the terminals.
If you're not seeing 14+ Volts in bulk mode....and your static voltage readings (or turkey baster readings -hydrometer) aren't indicating a battery state issue...then it's time to have the Magnum in for surgery.
Are the batts wet cell? 6V or 12V?
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Ken... based on what you've posted...I wouldn't rule out a battery issue causing the inverter issue. If you drove several hours...the batts should be reading above 13V when you stop...falling to 12.6-7 IF disconnected at the negative line for 12-24 hours.
You might wanna check that before incurring an expensive repair.
Bulk charging on a Magnum ought to be somewhere north of 14.2 V...I'd put a voltmeter on the BATTERY terminals while it is indicating bulk charging and see what voltage you see at the terminals.
If you're not seeing 14+ Volts in bulk mode....and your static voltage readings (or turkey baster readings -hydrometer) aren't indicating a battery state issue...then it's time to have the Magnum in for surgery.
Are the batts wet cell? 6V or 12V?

Thanks for your input. The alternator did charge the batteries to about 13v as we drove. After a few days they were about 12.4. The problem is the inverter will not switch to bulk charge. The screen says bulk but the inverter throws a error and stops it. After a few hours on the phone with tech support and doing multiple tests and resets the determination is the control board is bad. The cost to repair that is just about the same as a new one. So a new one is what I will need.

Tags
inverter