Old 03-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
Dragonship Captain

Inverter Upgrade

From 2000W of modified sine to 3000W of pure sine.

https://dragonship.blog/inverter-upgrade/

Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

Inverter Upgrade

Looking good. Now you can plug in a space heater rolling down the road!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
Dragonship Captain

HAHA! Except it's already 75º back there thanks to the school bus heater. But it does give me options. Specifically it allows me to do a rest break and run the coffee maker, micro and what have you without the generator on and without constantly doing the math.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
From 2000W of modified sine to 3000W of pure sine.

https://dragonship.blog/inverter-upgrade/
I'm not in a position (or need) to do that, but I'm admiring your web site!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #5

Oscar,
It's interesting to hear of your drop-in substitution, and particularly that prices are dropping.

I've toyed with the idea of getting pure sine power, as well. It would be good for inductive loads like transformers and standard AC motors. That would be refrigerators and perhaps microwaves – I don't really understand the inverter power supply in microwave ovens, but they hum like a transformer. Also, the small DC power supplies are a simple transformer, bridge diode and filter capacitor. They are vulnerable to dirty non-sine power. But, larger laptops and devices with switching power supplies are likely safe with dirty power.

Two things have held me back, so far. One is price and you've got encouraging news on that front. The other is the likelihood of superior replacements for the current Magnum inverters, including the white pure-sine model. There are two potential upgrades that represent feasible technology today.

One upgrade that I would like is for the inverter-charger to take solar panel input and produce a battery charge with a maximum power point (MPPT) controller. Right now, having two separate charge systems for a battery seems wasteful of space and cost.

The other, and more important, upgrade would be for the inverter to work with lithium ion batteries or lithium ion phosphate or whatever. The lithium batteries are lighter and can cycle deeper. So, we'd get a longer run from the batteries than we have now. And, we wouldn't be overloading our battery bays.

Scalable lithium ion battery technology is already available. Tesla uses a large number of Panasonic cells that are each just a bit bigger than an AA cell. A battery with these cells can be configured to give whatever voltage desired and assembled in whatever shape desired. I hear that this system of lots of small cells avoids the need to run a complex battery monitor system, such as what Boeing needed for its Dreamliner aircraft.

If Tesla switches to a different battery system (as rumoured), Panasonic would have a lot of manufacturing capacity left over to supply batteries for the RV market. All we would need then is a decent charger.

I'm not sure if I talking about things a year down the road or 5 years. I suspect that Lithium Ion will be the standard house battery in RVs 5 years from now.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
The other, and more important, upgrade would be for the inverter to work with lithium ion batteries or lithium ion phosphate or whatever. The lithium batteries are lighter and can cycle deeper. So, we'd get a longer run from the batteries than we have now. And, we wouldn't be overloading our battery bays.
I asked Magnum the question and then verified that you can program the remote to charge at whatever voltage you want, to one decimal. So that would work.

I''ve seen a 300Ah Li-ion for $2900

Considering that replacing the 225Ah (half of the 450 in there) would cost me $800 or so to replace.... the extra 2 large can get me, like you said, a seriously lighter battery bank. AND, leave me the space to put another one next to it should I choose.

I'm hoping to get two more years out of my LA's.... then I may just get the Li-ion.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #7

Oscar,

It's nice to see that you've found a 300 Ah lithium battery for $2900. I'm sure that price will fall over time. Right now, it provides a solution that isn't too much more expensive than 4 L16s, which would give something like 800 to 850 Ah overall, but at twice the weight of the GC2 golf cart batteries.

It's also nice to note that you can change the Magnum voltages to suit a different battery chemistry. But, it might be harder to change the charge logic:
– amperage limited bulk charging at first
– voltage limited absorb charging second
– voltage limited float charging last.

I don't know what is the optimal charge sequence for Lithium-based batteries. Noting that Tesla has a high-amperage supercharger (requiring 50 to 60 amps at 220v), I suspect that it delivers most of its charge under a bulk charging format. But, getting the details wrong would be really bad.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...qs-191578.html
2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
Oscar,

It's nice to see that you've found a 300 Ah lithium battery for $2900. I'm sure that price will fall over time. Right now, it provides a solution that isn't too much more expensive than 4 L16s, which would give something like 800 to 850 Ah overall, but at twice the weight of the GC2 golf cart batteries.

It's also nice to note that you can change the Magnum voltages to suit a different battery chemistry. But, it might be harder to change the charge logic:
– amperage limited bulk charging at first
– voltage limited absorb charging second
– voltage limited float charging last.

I don't know what is the optimal charge sequence for Lithium-based batteries. Noting that Tesla has a high-amperage supercharger (requiring 50 to 60 amps at 220v), I suspect that it delivers most of its charge under a bulk charging format. But, getting the details wrong would be really bad.

–Gordon

If huge capacity is your goal from Lithium batteries there are some batteries built for solar banks in Australia that offer 1,000 ah capacity. The ones I saw were I believe you need to build your battery bank with several in series and a "12v" bank would cost around $8k.

Could run an A/C unit for a while with a 1k Ah battery bank. Would definitely need to upsize the charger though

BTW, remember that most, if not all, EV's have a cooling system for their batteries. Some air cooled and some liquid cooled (like my Volt). It takes 4 hours to charge my Volt battery when empty (17Kwh) with a Level II charger which powers the onboard 3.6 kw charger.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Rest assured that if I go THAT big there will be some thorough research.

For now the idea of replacing 4-6V batteries with something smaller and lighter is an usable idea.....

Tags
inverter, upgrade