Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #21

What and who is going to do the installation? When they swapped out for my generation 2 it cost me $200. The new control panel is quite complicated and needs to be within 16 feet of the heater.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
What and who is going to do the installation? When they swapped out for my generation 2 it cost me $200. The new control panel is quite complicated and needs to be within 16 feet of the heater.
I am sure that for anyone that does minor to medium maintenance or mods. to their RV, the Gen III install should not be difficult.

First of all, it is the same size as the earlier models and physical install should be a snap. Re-connect gas, water and 12VDC. The fancy control panel only takes two wires for communications. Yes, routing anything in the RV can be a pain. When I do mine, the control panel will be close to the heater. Yes, it is up to everyone to assess their own capabilities or desire to do the project. - Hank
Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I am sure that for anyone that does minor to medium maintenance or mods. to their RV, the Gen III install should not be difficult.

First of all, it is the same size as the earlier models and physical install should be a snap. Re-connect gas, water and 12VDC. The fancy control panel only takes two wires for communications. Yes, routing anything in the RV can be a pain. When I do mine, the control panel will be close to the heater. Yes, it is up to everyone to assess their own capabilities or desire to do the project. - Hank

Hank someone has to be the guinea pig FR will not be using the Gen 3 according to my sources.

Wayne
Old 09-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Hank someone has to be the guinea pig FR will not be using the Gen 3 according to my sources.

Wayne
TwiceTheIce in post #17 appears to have one and is very satisfied!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
The Gen 3 is an absolute joy and $400 sounds like a great price. I especially enjoy the digital control--works just like home. Mine came with a black door, and it looked fine on our silver/charcoal/black Berkshire. I too am somewhat concerned about the door opening. I'm considering a safety chain on the inside.
Did you install the Gen III yourself? Any details about the purchase, installation or its use would certainly be great. Thanks' - Hank
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
TwiceTheIce in post #17 appears to have one and is very satisfied!

Ok so one in a row

Wayne
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #27

I have a gen 2 model and seems to work fine.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #28

I saw a Gen 3 in a Berkshire and knowing the owner he did not install it himself. Beautiful installation and as I previously posted after the rally, the Gen 3 is really impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Ok so one in a row

Wayne

I just spit sweet tea all over my keyboard......hahahaha that's funny.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #30

Gen III

Sorry to take so long to respond, I work a lot and don't get to play on the computer much.

I did not do the installation, but watched most of it. It is a direct replacement, although they did have to add a few inches to the water lines. The controller wires were fed straight up from the heater and mounted near the washer/dryer. That took a total of about 3 minutes. Most anyone with a room temperature IQ and high school shop skills could do the install in 1-2 hours.

The black door looked fine, but they took the Gen II door and had another Gen III door painted to match. Now I have a spare.

I could not ask for a better water heater. It works as well as any tank style. Pressure and flow rate do seem to bother it, and cold can be mixed with hot.

When you set the digital display to 123 F (or C for the rest of the world) that is the temp of the water no matter what else changes in the coach or the plumbing.

The installer noted that because we have always used a water softener, there was absolutely zero build-up on the old lines, etc.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #31

TwiceTheIce - I guess you like your drinks on the rocks. Great to here about your Gen III experience. Where did you have it installed; at a dealer or FR? - Hank
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #32

Correction to my post

I meant to type that pressure and flow rate do NOT affect the temperature in the shower.

It was installed by Girrard.