Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #11

We just returned from a 2700 mile trip. With the generator running both a/c's, towing a CRV and average highway speed of 75mph we averaged 9.5mpg.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
BTW, as a matter of trivia, the MOST streamlined shape in nature is a rain drop (un-driven by wind).
Hmmm...
I always thought it was Angelina Jolie.
Who knew.

Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreDoc View Post
Hmmm...
I always thought it was Angelina Jolie.
Who knew.

Doc
Jennifer Aniston I heard
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Jennifer Anniston I heard
No argument there!
Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

We have a 2013 390BH-40. I have been amazed at the fuel mileage. We are in Texas and drive mostly flat highway. I cruise between 65-70 and find there is a significant difference in mileage with only a slight difference in speed. At 65, I'll get 12+, at 70, closer to 11, while at 75, down to 9.5 or 10. We are not towing, but are over GVWR by about 1000 pounds. And it has been very windy so far this spring. I have hand checked the computer many times and find it to be very accurate. In fact, if you turn it on the mode to show how many gallons you use, it is right on, unless the generator is running. When our genny is running with both a/c units I allot about 0.75 gallons per hour. Before I bought it, I was expecting 6-8mpg, so am thrilled with this performance.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
We have a 2013 390BH-40. I have been amazed at the fuel mileage. We are in Texas and drive mostly flat highway. I cruise between 65-70 and find there is a significant difference in mileage with only a slight difference in speed. At 65, I'll get 12+, at 70, closer to 11, while at 75, down to 9.5 or 10. We are not towing, but are over GVWR by about 1000 pounds. And it has been very windy so far this spring. I have hand checked the computer many times and find it to be very accurate. In fact, if you turn it on the mode to show how many gallons you use, it is right on, unless the generator is running. When our genny is running with both a/c units I allot about 0.75 gallons per hour. Before I bought it, I was expecting 6-8mpg, so am thrilled with this performance.
I'm surprised at the genset using that much per hour. When I drove 18 wheeler, the companies used to grouch at the drivers for idling all night to keep warm (or cool) because they said it burned about 1 gal per hour; and that's a 500+ HP engine.

One company actually installed auto-start on all their engines and tied it to the inside-the-cab thermostat. The engine would start and stop many times over night and even though the auto-start systems were quite expensive, they felt they saved a lot of money over time.

Oh yeah, each time the thing shut down the whole truck shook like a dog that just got out of the lake and would wake me up almost every time.

Boowho??
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
boowho,
If I remember correctly you had some problems with the mode control it was replaced or reprogrammed I do not remember which. You said you usually travel at 58 MPH (boy you must have some control), did you ever get in 6 th gear?
GOOD LUCK
AREA51

Yes A51, I did get the mode thingy fixed and easily run in 6th at 58 mph.

As far as "control".... Like I said, I have nowhere to go and the rest of my life to get there. The older I get the faster other drivers seem to want to pass me!! I imagine I aggravate a few, but I try not to by pulling over when a long line gets behind me on a two lane road (for example) and NEVER driving slow in the passing lane.

Driving slower puts a lot less wear and tear on the vehicle. For example, I usually get about 70K miles out of a set of brake pads(shoes). And of course your mileage will be better on almost any vehicle, but especially so on a high frontal "footprint" vehicle (like a MH)

Boowho??
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #18

The Genset usage is specified by Onan in the manual. It's 0.49 gph at half load and 1.02 gph at full load. Both A/Cs running is more than half, but less than full. That's where I came up with the estimate. It seems to mesh pretty well with hand calculations at the pump.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
The Genset usage is specified by Onan in the manual. It's 0.49 gph at half load and 1.02 gph at full load. Both A/Cs running is more than half, but less than full. That's where I came up with the estimate. It seems to mesh pretty well with hand calculations at the pump.
Thanks... I guess that little engine is working harder under full load than a 500+ HP one does at idle. Amazing.... I learn more and more the older I get.

Boowho??
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #20

2300 miles and change from northeast PA to Bozeman MT and I have at 9.9 mpg for the trip. Thats fabulous! Cant wait to see what i get when the engine is broken in. Cruise has been set at 62 and I am towing a Chevy Equinox.

Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote