Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Jack Pads

Do any of you use jack pads under your jacks. I had been using douglas fir 2 X 12's cut into 12" lengths but our rig is so heavy that any stones under the pads are splitting the blocks. I've ordered some plastic pads from a company called Outdoors for Life in Michigan. Their order process is a little strange as I get a call from the Company and when I returned the call it was to a cell phone with kids yelling the background and dogs barking also. I'll see when the order comes in what I'm actually getting. My other choice was DICA and their pads were about twice the price of OFL. What do you use?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Ed,
I normally don't use anything but I bought a set at Camping World a few years back. Don't recall the brand but they look like yellow square legos. Came with a nylon carrying bag and I believe that they were less than $30 at the time. I also bought some 1/2" ply wood that I cut into 1'x1' squares. The plywood is much less apt to split.
Tom

Ed,
Did some looking and found them. These are the ones that I purchased.
Tom

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...s-8-pack/43849

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We bought a rubber horse stall mat and cut it into strips. Use them mostly under the tires to level the trailer ...but work great for jacks too. Found the info here:

RV Leveling Blocks Built for Indestructibility

Purchased the rubber stall mat at our local feed & seed horsey store...about $40.00. Tractor Supply Has them too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/royal-m...-6-ft--2219003

We keep the pads/mats in a big duffel bag in the back of our truck and just take out what we need to use.

We cut the mat using a small circular saw. Took some time to do but soooo worth it!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

block solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Do any of you use jack pads under your jacks. I had been using douglas fir 2 X 12's cut into 12" lengths but our rig is so heavy that any stones under the pads are splitting the blocks. I've ordered some plastic pads from a company called Outdoors for Life in Michigan. Their order process is a little strange as I get a call from the Company and when I returned the call it was to a cell phone with kids yelling the background and dogs barking also. I'll see when the order comes in what I'm actually getting. My other choice was DICA and their pads were about twice the price of OFL. What do you use?
For professionel touring gear , we use what wood industrial supplier call :
birch plywood , it is composed by 13 different slice of good wood and glue,compare to 7 slice in regular bcfir. i have made mine since 3 years compose by:
3 pieces (glued together) and screewed x 12 inch x 12 inch
they will be there for my childreen !!

sorry again for my bad english !!!
happysoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Has anyone tried using the synthetic deck board like Trax?
Just curious how well it would work.. should be much lighter in weight...cost may be more but it may last better.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
These are pretty good Tri Lynx Corporation Lynx Levelers
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Has anyone tried using the synthetic deck board like Trax?
Just curious how well it would work.. should be much lighter in weight...cost may be more but it may last better.
Our deck is made out of Trex and it is a lot heavier than even Doug Fir. Trex would be tough to handle both from a weight standpoint and a manueverabilty standpoint. I'll see what the plastic ones are that I have on order. I'll let you know what they are like along with my tire pressure monitor system when that comes in.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8

Good idea to use the stall mat, Campnqueen. It cost me under 40 bucks and they appear indestructable. I would reccomend cutting the mat into 10"x12" sizes to compensate for "user error" when backing up. The only downfall is the strong smell of rubber but I expect that to wear off shortly.
2005 Silverado 5.3 L w/ 4:10 and Equal-i-zer
Eric, Heather and Elaine Higgs
TopGobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

I would think that a rubber mat like the one described would be very heavy and the extra weight would be an issue. The plastic blocks are very light weight.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #10

i use pieces of 2 x 12 lumber and some 4x4 post pieces to make a pad so the jacks do not have to come down all the way to hit the ground. I also think the TT is more stable when the jacks are not cranked all the way.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

My jack pads came in from Outdoors for Life and they seem pretty darn solid for what we are doing. They are not as bulky and hard to handle as the 2 X 12's and have a handle on them that makes them easier to pull out. The true test of them will be when we put the jacks down on gravel or stones.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:
I've ordered some plastic pads from a company called Outdoors for Life in Michigan. Their order process is a little strange as I get a call from the Company and when I returned the call it was to a cell phone with kids yelling the background and dogs barking also.
Perhaps the salesman had some family obligations to attend to and had his messages forwarded?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese53073 View Post
Perhaps the salesman had some family obligations to attend to and had his messages forwarded?
Perhaps that is the case, but nonetheless they came in and they look like they'll hit the mark.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

I use lengths of 2x4 instead of 2x12, I cut them about in length the same as 3 2x4's wide (about 10") then I cut some plywood the same square as three 2x4's and sandwiched the plywood with two layers of 2x4. Top and bottom layers of 2x4 are staggered. This provideds the intended strength and also allows for the expected flexing. Also, they are stable enough to stack 2 or 3 together and use for the tongue jack.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #15

I use pressure treated 2x6 about 2 to 3 feet long - they are actually scraps
I used them when I lifted my truck and used them under the jack stands.

so far they have worked for me but am possibly looking into the orange platic pads stated above from camping world
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
itch'n to road trip

Grettings TopGobbler,
The smell of rubber DOES go away! Trust me!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #17

I made these out of pressure treated lumber, 2x4's, they are 12"x12" pads. I have used the yellow plastic legos and i have found that the plastic seems to bend in the middle and over a short time the yellow lego blocks work themselves into the ground because there is no solid base under them and the edges are thin they are kinda hollow and if the ground gets wet from rain the block work there way down faster because the thin edges cut into the soft wet ground like a knife.

There are 3-2x4's on the top and 3-2x4's on the bottom running the opposit direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack pads.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5270  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote