Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Not sure about DirectTV (number of LNB's) but I used to do it myself on a 3 LNB unit just like the one in your pic.

Many times I could nail it within 5 minutes, but sometimes I couldn't hit it at all (all three birds at once). You can use a trick with aluminum foil and that helps.

Anyhow, I finally got tired of fiddling with it and bought the CarryOut. Just set it out, connect two wires, watch TV. After having it for a year, you couldn't get me to go back to the tripod. Only disadvantage of the CarryOut is $700 - Ouch!!!

As always, YMMV...... The OP should probably try the tripod and if it works for him, great. Other wise bite the bullet for the CarryOut.

Yes your correct "sometimes" finding all three can be a challenge.
"Normally" its the hd lnb that gives the fits.
I couldn't care less about hd and more often then not unless we are in local channel spot beam we cant even get locals so we "really" only have to hit one spot beam to make our viewing pleasure possible.
Getting the skew and azimuth correct for your area is the first make sure then get it pretty level and the rest should be easy.

TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Does anyone use a Birddog to line up the satelite?

2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #13
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Does anyone use a Birddog to line up the satelite?

Never even heard of it. I'm still sticking with my CarryOut as the BEST solution for me. Negative is the price.

For those that need to align a 3-LNB Dish Network it can be downright tedious.

This can help:

1. Turn off power on receiver (important).

2. Cover the the 2 outside LNB's with aluminum foil leaving only the center one "un-blinded".

3. Turn on the receiver and do a check switch. This will take awhile (38 steps)

4. Now get your dish pointed as exact as you can on 119.

5. Remove the tinfoil.

6. Do another check switch.

7. Voila!! Watch television.

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
We just bought a tailgater off Amizon with the receiver and 100'of coax for 409. The best price I found. I know it only works with dish but the have a nice pay as you need it plan that I hope will work for us. I didn't want to change our house as we are happy with u verse. I. Like the idea of the auto find. Hope it works as advertised.

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote