Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #11

Bud you could put a shut off and pressure regulator at the quick disconnect. That would be easy to do and make it much easier. I do not carry a compressor but I do carry a hose. I start the Moho and am able to easily fill the tires.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #12

That's the disadvantage of being mechanically challenged! Never gave that a thought. What a great idea! That's going on my priority list. Thanks Phil

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I carry an air hose. Be mindful that when connecting or disconnecting there is a good deal of pressure so hold tight. Call the factory and set up warranty work at another dealer. I bought mine in Indiana and get service in Wisconsin.

Dave maybe you can sell free air like the gas station do.

Wayne
Old 04-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Dave maybe you can sell free air like the gas station do.

Wayne
Yes sir, I could but then I would have to claim it as income and lord knows, we can't be having free air without taxes.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

On the driver training topic. My wife drives the highways. I drive highway and small roads. She prefers to avoid tight quarters but still does plenty of driving.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #16

Well I took her out and let her drive the Berk for two hours last Friday morning. She did exceptionally well since my Expedition is the largest thing she's ever driven. Then on Sunday morning after driving one hour, I got out and let her drive around the neighborhood alone. In a couple of weeks I will let her drive on the highway for the first time. Air brakes are really "funky" to her and that's going to be a tad tricky for her to get a handle on it.

When I'm driving the Exped. I seldom use my brakes and tend to downshift but I tap the brake lightly just to give an indicator of slowing down. My brakes are original with 60000 on the odometer. The downshifter/upshifter on the Berk is already in use while driving and I'm still new to the "automatic." She doesn't have the savvy for that end of it.

Somebody told me on another thread to that I could just leave the engine brake on. I will use the engine brake only as needed in dry conditions. But now I'm thinking it could be ideal for her to use it/leave it on.

...already slowed down to 65 on occasion (from 80 MPH) so I can get accustomed to snailing along in the Berk and watching the flowers grow.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #17
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Bud,

Since I got sick my wife does just about all the driving except for backing into a tight site. She loves the "Engine Brake" but never in rain or snow. She has a bit of a heavy foot but heck it's her ticket. If there is one piece of advice I can give is this and it could save your life. If you didn't know, if you have a steer axle blowout accelerate or maintain speed DO NOT hit the brakes slowly slow down.

Dave
Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Bud,

Since I got sick my wife does just about all the driving except for backing into a tight site. She loves the "Engine Brake" but never in rain or snow. She has a bit of a heavy foot but heck it's her ticket. If there is one piece of advice I can give is this and it could save your life. If you didn't know, if you have a steer axle blowout accelerate or maintain speed DO NOT hit the brakes slowly slow down.

Dave

Dave anyone who has had to replace brakes will appreciate the engine brake more and use it. I know it saves on brake wear and tear.

Wayne
Old 04-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #19

Hi Bud,
Yes we carry an air hose. It is a small hose Rick found at Harbor Freight. It is similar to those "coil hoses" you see on TV.
As for your wife driving. I drive ours and when we get to a campsite I am the one that backs it in and Ricks "spots" for me. Rick knows where he wants the rig to be (based on the location of the elec/sewer/water and slides) so it is easier for me to back it in. Driving does take a little getting used to but it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. A trip to a parking lot to get used to "sight lines" helps a lot. When I drive in any town I usually try to go a little bit slower. Other drivers will dart out in front of you because they don't want to be behind you, so I leave plenty of room for that. When turning I find the "don't start your turn until after your hips pass the item you are going around" theory works best. Lazy Days in Florida offers a "RV Driving Course" that is very informative and may help your wife feel more comfortable with the driving.
As for service on your coach. I usually place a call to the manufacturer BEFORE taking the coach in for service. That way you can get their opinion/suggestions on where to take it or what to watch for. Doing it this way also helps to avoid dealerships "embellishing" on their story as to why a repair isn't done properly. They can't blame it on the manufacturer that way. (And yes, dealerships make the manufacturer their scapegoat all the time!).
For factory service. NO you don't "have to go to a rally" to get service. In fact, at the rally they have so many people/units to service I am sure the techs would much rather have your unit at the factory where they can take a little bit more time on the repair. Your best rule of thumb on what the factory will and will not do is to hear it ONLY from the factory. That way you know you are getting the truth.
Good Luck,
Karen
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by po 185 View Post
about the air hose... yes I do carry one and I do use it to keep my tires aired up to the pressure that I want. I stay at a camp spot for around 6 mo. at a time so that is why I carry a hose and check my tires.
the engine does need to be running for the air pump to work
Po (or anyone who has one) how long a air hose did you get? Did you get any additional fittings?

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote