Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Just out of curiosity…potpourri

Think I will keep this in the Berky playground. Our 38A has a connection for an air hose up in the front of the RV. Do you folks carry air hoses etc. and if you do, how often do you find yourself using it? Does the engine have to be running?

The 38A is only rated for a 5000 pound tow. Has anyone upgraded their towing capacity or can they be upgraded to a higher towing capacity?

Does your slide behind the driver seat behind stick out an inch plus? The service department told me that they dealer adjusted it “as much as they could.” The other slides are acceptable to me but not the gap I’m stuck with!

Co-pilots! Does it sound like you’re at a boat launch when you’re teaching your significant other how to drive? I’m dreading giving her the first lesson….today. Local streets and slow speeds till she gets the hang of using gas/brake pedals. Our streets are wide and quiet for the most part.

Two months ago I saw a pusher attempting to get on a flat bed trailer. (I-15) The trailer bed was raised about 8-10 ft in the air. Couldn’t believe what I seeing! The MH was fully on the trailer but it hadn’t come down. They make full length flatbed trailers now with hydraulic rams for raising or lowering???

My significant other wants to do a cross country trip next year. From what I’ve read one can’t just take their Berk back to the factory for a repair but instead must attend a FROG rally just to get their rigs fixed. My front step cover was damaged at the RV show and the dealer repair job was/is unacceptable to me. Does FR have a “go-to dealership” where owners can at least get some satisfaction for their money? We are booked out for this year and I have to live with the “it sucks repair job” for a freakin year!

I respond a tad slow but will. Thanks.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
2014 360 QL

about the air hose... yes I do carry one and I do use it to keep my tires aired up to the pressure that I want. I stay at a camp spot for around 6 mo. at a time so that is why I carry a hose and check my tires.
the engine does need to be running for the air pump to work
Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Ezekiel H. View Post

Think I will keep this in the Berky playground. Our 38A has a connection for an air hose up in the front of the RV. Do you folks carry air hoses etc. and if you do, how often do you find yourself using it? Does the engine have to be running?

The 38A is only rated for a 5000 pound tow. Has anyone upgraded their towing capacity or can they be upgraded to a higher towing capacity?

Does your slide behind the driver seat behind stick out an inch plus? The service department told me that they dealer adjusted it “as much as they could.” The other slides are acceptable to me but not the gap I’m stuck with!

Co-pilots! Does it sound like you’re at a boat launch when you’re teaching your significant other how to drive? I’m dreading giving her the first lesson….today. Local streets and slow speeds till she gets the hang of using gas/brake pedals. Our streets are wide and quiet for the most part.

Two months ago I saw a pusher attempting to get on a flat bed trailer. (I-15) The trailer bed was raised about 8-10 ft in the air. Couldn’t believe what I seeing! The MH was fully on the trailer but it hadn’t come down. They make full length flatbed trailers now with hydraulic rams for raising or lowering???

My significant other wants to do a cross country trip next year. From what I’ve read one can’t just take their Berk back to the factory for a repair but instead must attend a FROG rally just to get their rigs fixed. My front step cover was damaged at the RV show and the dealer repair job was/is unacceptable to me. Does FR have a “go-to dealership” where owners can at least get some satisfaction for their money? We are booked out for this year and I have to live with the “it sucks repair job” for a freakin year!

I respond a tad slow but will. Thanks.
The slide on our 400QL stuck out further than I believe it should and they resolved it at the rally last year.

I carry a pump for inflating the tires.

I can't answer your other questions, though.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

Because you said that your towing capacity is 5000 lbs I am assuming that you have an Allison 2500 transmission. If that is the case, you can't upgrade the towing capacity because of the limitations of the that transmission.
As for the repair, you should contact the factory to see if you can make an appointment to bring it to the factory and have them do the repair.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Yes we carry air hose and use it for airjack changing tires or air up whatever,and yes the motor has to be running to keep up air pressure.Yes the driver side slide is out about 1/2 in so that it does not rub at lower corners per FR.Also check the kitchen drain pipe where it goes behind the fireplace,it might be under the furnace and when furnace gets hot it melts the drainpipe.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #6

Well I'm definitely going to be adding an air hose now to my "must have list" for the B.C. trip. Although duct tape, vice-grips, and screw drivers have been my primarily used tools, I had to buy a socket set just to tighten my mirrors. I already have one compartment door that won't latch at all and the dealer's service department has ignored fixing it twice now. Thank God for duct tape!

They sure "blow a lot of smoke" when they're selling you a rig. But it is what is. I I'm guessing that the inconvenient storm of disappointment(s) in the last seven months might end....soon. I'd rather pull a trailer with a vehicle on it but now ....(shrug)

Thanks for the replies too. Like the "heads up" regarding the kitchen drain pipe too!
As for the slide sticking out a bit? The top of the slide is in but the bottom sticks out more in the rear then in the front. So it's cockeyed to say the least.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #7

Not only do I carry a hose I carry a compressor that way I don't have to worry about starting the coach. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

I don't want to buy a compressor but I am considering buying an extra refrig/freezer to put on that slideout tray. Allthough the 38A has a really nice refrigerator I need more freezer space if the deep sea fishing pans out. Plus I can have more space for Tillamook Ice Cream! Dry ice is the cat's meow usually but I don't/won't put dry ice in this RV's basement. My buddy carries an extra generater when we're out in the desert. Had I stayed with the Winne-Sightseer, I would of done the same thing. But now...my generator is no longer underneath my bed! Two thumbs up!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

I carry an air hose. Be mindful that when connecting or disconnecting there is a good deal of pressure so hold tight. Call the factory and set up warranty work at another dealer. I bought mine in Indiana and get service in Wisconsin.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads-up on that airhose pressure, Dave! I have limited use of my left hand. Limited to about 15 lbs max for carrying anything. Might not be able to connect the airhose but I'm still going to carry one. I found another RV dealer near our winter home that has a good reputation. We also have a nearby Freightliner Shop. I'm scheduled for service at the dealership in 3 weeks. They drop the ball again and a post will appear in the Positive/Negative section
Old 04-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #11

Bud you could put a shut off and pressure regulator at the quick disconnect. That would be easy to do and make it much easier. I do not carry a compressor but I do carry a hose. I start the Moho and am able to easily fill the tires.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #12

That's the disadvantage of being mechanically challenged! Never gave that a thought. What a great idea! That's going on my priority list. Thanks Phil
Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
I carry an air hose. Be mindful that when connecting or disconnecting there is a good deal of pressure so hold tight. Call the factory and set up warranty work at another dealer. I bought mine in Indiana and get service in Wisconsin.

Dave maybe you can sell free air like the gas station do.

Wayne
Old 04-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Dave maybe you can sell free air like the gas station do.

Wayne
Yes sir, I could but then I would have to claim it as income and lord knows, we can't be having free air without taxes.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

On the driver training topic. My wife drives the highways. I drive highway and small roads. She prefers to avoid tight quarters but still does plenty of driving.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

Well I took her out and let her drive the Berk for two hours last Friday morning. She did exceptionally well since my Expedition is the largest thing she's ever driven. Then on Sunday morning after driving one hour, I got out and let her drive around the neighborhood alone. In a couple of weeks I will let her drive on the highway for the first time. Air brakes are really "funky" to her and that's going to be a tad tricky for her to get a handle on it.

When I'm driving the Exped. I seldom use my brakes and tend to downshift but I tap the brake lightly just to give an indicator of slowing down. My brakes are original with 60000 on the odometer. The downshifter/upshifter on the Berk is already in use while driving and I'm still new to the "automatic." She doesn't have the savvy for that end of it.

Somebody told me on another thread to that I could just leave the engine brake on. I will use the engine brake only as needed in dry conditions. But now I'm thinking it could be ideal for her to use it/leave it on.

...already slowed down to 65 on occasion (from 80 MPH) so I can get accustomed to snailing along in the Berk and watching the flowers grow.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #17

Bud,

Since I got sick my wife does just about all the driving except for backing into a tight site. She loves the "Engine Brake" but never in rain or snow. She has a bit of a heavy foot but heck it's her ticket. If there is one piece of advice I can give is this and it could save your life. If you didn't know, if you have a steer axle blowout accelerate or maintain speed DO NOT hit the brakes slowly slow down.

Dave
Old 04-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Bud,

Since I got sick my wife does just about all the driving except for backing into a tight site. She loves the "Engine Brake" but never in rain or snow. She has a bit of a heavy foot but heck it's her ticket. If there is one piece of advice I can give is this and it could save your life. If you didn't know, if you have a steer axle blowout accelerate or maintain speed DO NOT hit the brakes slowly slow down.

Dave

Dave anyone who has had to replace brakes will appreciate the engine brake more and use it. I know it saves on brake wear and tear.

Wayne
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #19

Hi Bud,
Yes we carry an air hose. It is a small hose Rick found at Harbor Freight. It is similar to those "coil hoses" you see on TV.
As for your wife driving. I drive ours and when we get to a campsite I am the one that backs it in and Ricks "spots" for me. Rick knows where he wants the rig to be (based on the location of the elec/sewer/water and slides) so it is easier for me to back it in. Driving does take a little getting used to but it is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. A trip to a parking lot to get used to "sight lines" helps a lot. When I drive in any town I usually try to go a little bit slower. Other drivers will dart out in front of you because they don't want to be behind you, so I leave plenty of room for that. When turning I find the "don't start your turn until after your hips pass the item you are going around" theory works best. Lazy Days in Florida offers a "RV Driving Course" that is very informative and may help your wife feel more comfortable with the driving.
As for service on your coach. I usually place a call to the manufacturer BEFORE taking the coach in for service. That way you can get their opinion/suggestions on where to take it or what to watch for. Doing it this way also helps to avoid dealerships "embellishing" on their story as to why a repair isn't done properly. They can't blame it on the manufacturer that way. (And yes, dealerships make the manufacturer their scapegoat all the time!).
For factory service. NO you don't "have to go to a rally" to get service. In fact, at the rally they have so many people/units to service I am sure the techs would much rather have your unit at the factory where they can take a little bit more time on the repair. Your best rule of thumb on what the factory will and will not do is to hear it ONLY from the factory. That way you know you are getting the truth.
Good Luck,
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by po 185 View Post
about the air hose... yes I do carry one and I do use it to keep my tires aired up to the pressure that I want. I stay at a camp spot for around 6 mo. at a time so that is why I carry a hose and check my tires.
the engine does need to be running for the air pump to work
Po (or anyone who has one) how long a air hose did you get? Did you get any additional fittings?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote