Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Just picked up new(to me)2014 390 bh-40

Just picked up my Berkshire and drove it 1200 miles home! Was concerned about 340 HP engine, but had no issues with power driving from Texas to Cleveland. Having alignment checked tomorrow as I noticed it pulled to one side. Would love to know what modifications/upgrades owners have made to thier coaches. I am having Maxair fan installed in living area, removed bifold doors for bunks. Odd there was no reading light by passenger seat!
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

Congratulations! You may want to check out the Legacy forum as I think a lot of things on there could be applied to your MH also. I had a little concern with the 340 HP, too, due to a salesman at one dealership telling me if we were towing anything we needed the 360 HP engine. The only difference I've seen is the 340 comes with a 5K hitch and the 360 has a 10K hitch. Towed our Jeep from Orlando to Smoky Mountains and didn't even know it was back there, including going up and down the mountains! Enjoy!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats from Grafton Ohio !!!!

I absolutely love the Berk !!
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Just picked up my Berkshire and drove it 1200 miles home! Was concerned about 340 HP engine, but had no issues with power driving from Texas to Cleveland. Having alignment checked tomorrow as I noticed it pulled to one side. Would love to know what modifications/upgrades owners have made to thier coaches. I am having Maxair fan installed in living area, removed bifold doors for bunks. Odd there was no reading light by passenger seat!
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the work done on the chassis and "house" part (fan) ?

Thanks,
Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Mike, my 390RB pulled to the right some when new.
Had alignment at Freightliner and still pulled right a little.

Finally had a truck shop in Indiana work on the ride height and check the tires.
Turned out most of the pulling to right was the tires.
Got 2 new front tires under Goodyear warranty that fixed it.

Also the ride height would not adjust properly so they installed new ride height adjusters courtesy of Freightliner.

Now it is a pleasure to drive.

BTW, I learned during the process that ride height is the first thing that should be checked.

Welcome again to the Berkshire forum.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

I also thought it was odd that there wasn't a passenger light on my 2014 Berkshire 390FL
gpalladinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the info! Would not have thought to ask those questions. Hopefully not the tires, as it only has 6800 miles.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Mainline truck in Bedford Hts for alignment and neff bros RV for maxair fan.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
Mainline truck in Bedford Hts for alignment and neff bros RV for maxair fan.
Thanks. That's right down the road from me. I'll look into them doing some things on mine.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Welcome to the FR Forum and the Berkshire family. There's been lots of mods made to our coaches. Search some older threads for all of them.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

Here's an easy one for you:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-76127.html

And another:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ect-77708.html
Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #12

Mike I sent a PM

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Mike, my 390RB pulled to the right some when new.
Had alignment at Freightliner and still pulled right a little.

Finally had a truck shop in Indiana work on the ride height and check the tires.
Turned out most of the pulling to right was the tires.
Got 2 new front tires under Goodyear warranty that fixed it.

Also the ride height would not adjust properly so they installed new ride height adjusters courtesy of Freightliner.

Now it is a pleasure to drive.

BTW, I learned during the process that ride height is the first thing that should be checked.

Welcome again to the Berkshire forum.
Hi Dan, who and how is ride height checked? I have not seen that in my manuals.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #14

Welcome to the Berk family! Some items I added to my '14 390BH-60. Safe-t-plus steering assist, definitely TPMS TST 507 a must, Progressive hard wired surge protector and central vacuum system. Must keep the Bride happy you know. The latest add was a VIAIR compressor. The air chuck in the generator compartment is useless.
Happy travels.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

allignment was not that bad, and after discussions with the tech he believes it was the strong winds i had due to the storms chasing me all the way home from texas. He recommended getting the SafeTplus sterring assist to help with that. Not ready to spend the couple thousand to add that just yet. Took it out this last weekend on a 4 hour trip and it handled much better. I did the handle light upgrade. It was a breeze. Purchased a 50' airhose and attachements to fill the tires from the quickrelease access in front of coach and it works great.

Has anyone added more shelving in bathroom? traveling with 2 adults and 3 kids, there is not enough storage or towel holders.

has anyone attempted to add drawers under the bunks in 390bh? I know the newer models have that as standard.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Mike,
Congrats on your new Berkshire and welcome to the FORUMS!! Hope you have many fun, memorable, and trouble free trips with it!!
Do you have a washer/dryer combo, separate washer and dryer or neither? If you have the cobo like we have, I put some shelves above the combo and we store extra towels there. As far as in the bathroom goes, we got an over the door hanger (InterDesign® York Lyra Over-the-Door 5-Hook Rack - BedBathandBeyond.com) that we hook onto the decorative wall hanging that FR puts in the bathroom. Works very well. We also put a couple of 3M Command hooks onto the frame of the shower by the walls. Works out well.
Again- Welcome!
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #17

Mike, the Safe-T-plus steering assist doesn't cost thousands of dollars to buy and install. The cost is well worth the comfort driving down the road. You get less push when getting passed on the highway by the big rigs and is steadier in windy conditions.
All the best, Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #18

Mike if I were going to install a steering device I would give a good look at Blue Ox Center Steer. I know Gasman installed his own for about a grand and Marty had CW put his on for just over that. I'm wanting to do it but keep spending the money I set aside.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags