Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #1

Keeping pump from freezing while driving

Heading back to the fridgid north tomorrow:-(. Does anyone know how to keep the water pump from freezing while driving? I do not see a way to run a power cord there.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #2

drain it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
drain it.

Excellent start........finish for that matter.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I would not de-winterize until I could keep the camper above freezing while traveling. Keep a few gallons of water in the truck for coffee, washup, and flushing until you are below the freeze line. Moving it back and forth between the truck and camper is not that great a hassle when compared to a frozen fitting or pump.

Once you are below the freeze line, de-winterize and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Be sure to winterize on the way home before crossing the freeze line northbound.

Oops. Berk forum; sorry. Principle still the same.
However you also have the option of putting a 100 watt light bulb in the pump compartment and running the generator while driving. Just make sure the bulb won't touch anything flammable.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
First off, if you own a Berk, you know that the inverter provides a limited amount of 110 v.a.c. Depending on inverter type, you might put a very small space heater that receives 110 v.a.c. while motoring down the boulevard. Be mindful of the load placed on the inverter & know the type of inverter - modified or pure sine wave. Know your equip limitations!

Secondly, why do people who don’t own or operate this equipment type, feel qualified to respond to this type of post?

Mike, I own & operate a 2018 Berkshire XL-40B
Old 12-30-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

There is no way to get a power cord to that bay that I can find. The only electrical outlet is in the first bay and the enging block heater outlet.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
First off, if you own a Berk, you know that the inverter provides a limited amount of 110 v.a.c. Depending on inverter type, you might put a very small space heater that receives 110 v.a.c. while motoring down the boulevard. Be mindful of the load placed on the inverter & know the type of inverter - modified or pure sine wave. Know your equip limitations!

Secondly, why do people who don’t own or operate this equipment type, feel qualified to respond to this type of post?

Mike, I own & operate a 2018 Berkshire XL-40B
Using your rational I would ask ",People who own and operate this type of equipment know everything so they Don't have to ask for Help"? Youroo!!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Ok guys, this is getting rude and there is no need for that. Our members are always trying to help one another no matter what RV they own or operate. Let's always remember that and move forward as a community of fellow RV'ers.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

I'm curious. Where is the "frigid north" for the OP? How long will they be traveling below 32F?

Might not be that big of a deal or it might be extremely critical.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeborny View Post
There is no way to get a power cord to that bay that I can find. The only electrical outlet is in the first bay and the enging block heater outlet.
If you are from the frigid north, you can likely find those little in-car heaters that can sit on the floor and blow warmed air into the car.

I put one of those in my water bay, on the passenger side. I removed some needless vanity panels that FR installed, and that improves air circulation. It keeps the water pump and fresh water tank from freezing.

Then, I went onto the middle pass-through bay on my Berk and noticed a big electrical box in the ceiling (mounted below the floor above). It had wires for the fridge, microwave and something else (might be the kitchen plugs). I tapped off of the microwave, which is a 20 amp GFI circuit. I can run the microwave and heater at the same time without blowing a fuse.

My power cord for the heater is flat, so I just run it between the two bays and close the doors. I can also drill through the wall to get the wire through, or take it up to the chassis level, and bring it back down in the other bay.

Your inverter can power the microwave (including while driving). The generator powers the house batteries for the inverter. I'm not sure whether there would be a net drain on the house battery. If it is a problem, you can drive with the generator on.

BTW, this also heats up my bathroom floor, which is nice on a cold day.

BTW(2), the engine block heater outlet is not powered from the inverter output, so don't waste your time trying to make it work off the inverter while you drive.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
mdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
If you are from the frigid north, you can likely find those little in-car heaters that can sit on the floor and blow warmed air into the car.

I put one of those in my water bay, on the passenger side. I removed some needless vanity panels that FR installed, and that improves air circulation. It keeps the water pump and fresh water tank from freezing.

Then, I went onto the middle pass-through bay on my Berk and noticed a big electrical box in the ceiling (mounted below the floor above). It had wires for the fridge, microwave and something else (might be the kitchen plugs). I tapped off of the microwave, which is a 20 amp GFI circuit. I can run the microwave and heater at the same time without blowing a fuse.

My power cord for the heater is flat, so I just run it between the two bays and close the doors. I can also drill through the wall to get the wire through, or take it up to the chassis level, and bring it back down in the other bay.

Your inverter can power the microwave (including while driving). The generator powers the house batteries for the inverter. I'm not sure whether there would be a net drain on the house battery. If it is a problem, you can drive with the generator on.

BTW, this also heats up my bathroom floor, which is nice on a cold day.

BTW(2), the engine block heater outlet is not powered from the inverter output, so don't waste your time trying to make it work off the inverter while you drive.

–Gordon

Great advice Gordon.

I just came across the country through the -20 windchill days and cracked my water filter canister during the day while driving even with the tank heaters and the propane furnace on. I’ll be making this type of mod for sure.

On a side note - Andy at FR parts was able to get me a new canister delivered to snowy Colorado the next day. Kudos to him.
mdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

If you're coming across Eastern Nebraska today, our high is -3 and low tonight is predicted to be around -15 with -25 to -40 windchill.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump