Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Keys

I know that one of the locks on the door of the Berkshire uses a "master" key for the convenience of the dealers selling them to get in and out.
That happens to be the same key that is used for all my basement compartments.
Does that mean I have to change all the locks on the compartments because anyone with a master key from a dealer can gain access ?

Thanks.
KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Most all the storage compartments on all the FR products use one of a few standard keys. This can also be an advantage if you ever lose or forget your key on a trip. If you have valuables stored in these compartments, you might wish to move inside or add a lock.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Most all the storage compartments on all the FR products use one of a few standard keys. This can also be an advantage if you ever lose or forget your key on a trip. If you have valuables stored in these compartments, you might wish to move inside or add a lock.
Thanks for the reply. Now I'm wondering: Why even bother with locks ?

Sheesh... Oh well. I have another spring project to replace them.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

No matter what kind of lock you use a regular screwdriver or nail puller will pop the baggage door open in less than 15 seconds.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I would like to install those lockable slam latch hinges. Of course locks will only keep honest people honest.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I would like to install those lockable slam latch hinges. Of course locks will only keep honest people honest.
I agree. Locks only keep honest folks honest.

I'm not looking for a vault in the basement. But having a key makes it all way too easy. At least prying takes some effort and should make a little more noise. Anything that might tip you off something is happening out there is just a tad more security.

I don't want my neighbors in the neighborhood to have keys for my garage. And I don't want my camping neighbors to have keys to my basement.

I guess being a cop for 25 years has made me very distrustful.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

Kenny, are you sure about that door key? On mine the door key is not the same as the basement.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I agree. Locks only keep honest folks honest.

I'm not looking for a vault in the basement. But having a key makes it all way too easy. At least prying takes some effort and should make a little more noise. Anything that might tip you off something is happening out there is just a tad more security.

I don't want my neighbors in the neighborhood to have keys for my garage. And I don't want my camping neighbors to have keys to my basement.

I guess being a cop for 25 years has made me very distrustful.
The slam latches on your coach will not have the CH751 key that everyone has, so your level of security is a little better. Very unlikely that anyone around you will have the exact key that fits yours.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Our Crusader has totally different keys than our two neighbors who both have Sabre - and the two Sabres are both different also

Crusader promoted unique keys in their brochure when we bought as a selling point ....
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Kenny, are you sure about that door key? On mine the door key is not the same as the basement.
There are two locks on the door. One of them (in my case, the smaller one) is used by dealers to get in and out of campers they are showing. The other lock is the deadbolt with a bigger head on it.

My latches unlock with the smaller one.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #11

Well, maybe there is some hope. I will contact FR and find out for sure.

Thanks to all for replying.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

The dealers have a master to the lower lock for our campers and all others too..... But the chances of another person in a campground having the same key as you to you doors are highly unlikely! As for the basement, they are a common lock and key that is other campers but not as common as the CH751 key that opens our fuel doors! About 90% of TT's and 5ers use this key for there storage doors! Ours are the trimark keys and locks that are a little less common. If you look at the keys, they have a serial number on them. Not sure what everyone's numbers are or how common they are in the berks but mine are as follows

Main door dead bolt is 2146, lower door lock is 1141 and the basement doors are 2001. Only other campers with trimark keys with these same exact numbers would be able to access my locks.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
The dealers have a master to the lower lock for our campers and all others too..... But the chances of another person in a campground having the same key as you to you doors are highly unlikely! As for the basement, they are a common lock and key that is other campers but not as common as the CH751 key that opens our fuel doors! About 90% of TT's and 5ers use this key for there storage doors! Ours are the trimark keys and locks that are a little less common. If you look at the keys, they have a serial number on them. Not sure what everyone's numbers are or how common they are in the berks but mine are as follows

Main door dead bolt is 2146, lower door lock is 1141 and the basement doors are 2001. Only other campers with trimark keys with these same exact numbers would be able to access my locks.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
Thanks for the response. My lower lock key is the same one for the basement doors. I have three keys. One for the deadbolt upper door lock, one for the gas door and the third for the lower lock and basement doors. Did you get an additional key that is for the basement only ?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #14

Hi Kenny

It is actually worse than you think. Almost all RVs us the same basement key and on the Berkshires there are only 4 different dead bolt keys. A buddy of mine and I had exact duplicate keys for everything. So much for security.

My solution was to install a key-less entry system to secure the coach. Then when at a FMCA national rally TriMark had a booth that offered to recore all my locks to one unique European key type for $70. I now have unique keys on my coach. You might want to contact TriMark and see if the kit is still available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	key one plus.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	68734  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Kenny

It is actually worse than you think. Almost all RVs us the same basement key and on the Berkshires there are only 4 different dead bolt keys. A buddy of mine and I had exact duplicate keys for everything. So much for security.

My solution was to install a key-less entry system to secure the coach. Then when at a FMCA national rally TriMark had a booth that offered to recore all my locks to one unique European key type for $70. I now have unique keys on my coach. You might want to contact TriMark and see if the kit is still available.
Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !!!!

Thank you much. That is the answer I was looking for. If you are at work today, take the rest of the day off. If anyone says anything, tell them I said it was okay !!

I LOVE THIS SITE.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #16

Yes my basement uses a different key than the two for my main door. I put the serial numbers for all three keys in my previous post.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #17

Kenny, my '14 390fl uses a large and small key for the door, a different small key for the basement compartments and a CH751 for the fuel doors.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #18

No matter what lock you have someone has locks keyed the same. A lock is made up with pins that start at one and depending upon the lock company can go as high as 8.
Then house lock has 6 to 7 pin. If you have a lock that was master keyed or protecto keyed the number of available pins become less.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #19

My cargo keys do not fit the door lock and vice versa. I wonder if mine is the oddball or if FR changed what they do. Hmmm.. Nevermind. Just read the earlier post.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
Berkshire club

Hey guys just a little interesting info i found out about our Berkshire while at a park in San Antonio last summer i noticed a new pull in neighbor with a trailer (they had the 390 ) with matching paint so i went over to say hello and after the intros he ask me if i had the door keys to my coach well i reached into my pocket and hey i do so, i handed them to him and he walked to his door and observed him locking his door with his key and then unlocking it with my key. Uh What? he then turned to me and said every Berkshire he has met he was able to unlock his door with their keys now this did not unlock the dead bolt just the other lock he is a full timer and they have been traveling for 4 plus years. so this may be the master key? maybe.
we didn't try the storage key to see if it worked