Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

King Dome problems anyone?

I bought my 430BH in November 2014 at Lazy Days, upgrading from a Berkshire 390BH. Although I like the upgrades and updates, I find the King Dome does not follow the "upgrades".

It is a Model 9704LP-30 stationary , which is not available from King controls anymore. FR apparently has a contract for this outdated satellite.

Here are the issues:
1. It comes set up for DirecTV....but does not receive HD from DirecTV. It will get HD with DishNetwork, but it will only "support" one receiver. One can add an additional receiver, but it will only show a different channel if it's on the same satellite as the main receiver.....if one switches channels to another channel not on the same satellite, the satellite searches for that satellite and the main receiver goes blank until one reconfigures the satellite. This is most inconvenient. Try that home!! If one goes to a different room to view another channel and cuts out the first room? Ouch.
2. My experience is that the satellite takes an extended time to find the proper satellite, and then is only in SD......I spent an inordinate amount of time with the King Dome Tech support with little success....
3. It seems that FR went "inexpensive" to have A dome that is not in keeping with an expensive coach......and with no option to upgrade to another. The Winegard Trav'ler is great for multiple receivers and HD a with either provider. More expensive...but you get what you pay for....generally.

Anyone have the same experience? If you don't need HD, it is a moot point, but I find it difficult to go back to SD( Standard Definition).
Klarryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klarryt View Post
I bought my 430BH in November 2014 at Lazy Days, upgrading from a Berkshire 390BH. Although I like the upgrades and updates, I find the King Dome does not follow the "upgrades".

It is a Model 9704LP-30 stationary , which is not available from King controls anymore. FR apparently has a contract for this outdated satellite.

Here are the issues:
1. It comes set up for DirecTV....but does not receive HD from DirecTV. It will get HD with DishNetwork, but it will only "support" one receiver. One can add an additional receiver, but it will only show a different channel if it's on the same satellite as the main receiver.....if one switches channels to another channel not on the same satellite, the satellite searches for that satellite and the main receiver goes blank until one reconfigures the satellite. This is most inconvenient. Try that home!! If one goes to a different room to view another channel and cuts out the first room? Ouch.
2. My experience is that the satellite takes an extended time to find the proper satellite, and then is only in SD......I spent an inordinate amount of time with the King Dome Tech support with little success....
3. It seems that FR went "inexpensive" to have A dome that is not in keeping with an expensive coach......and with no option to upgrade to another. The Winegard Trav'ler is great for multiple receivers and HD a with either provider. More expensive...but you get what you pay for....generally.

Anyone have the same experience? If you don't need HD, it is a moot point, but I find it difficult to go back to SD( Standard Definition).
The Winegard "dome" antenna will not get HD on DirectV but WILL on Dish (same as King). Must be a limitation in the way DirecTV sends out it's HD signal.

To get everything you want, I believe your only choice will be the Trav'ler (or equivalent, if one exists).

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

It is my understanding the dome is not standard equipment on new motor homes. And the dealer orders them equipped the way that they wish. I think this is an issue to take up with the dealer not the manufacturer.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dan I'm with you.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

The only way to get HD is with the winegard trav'lr. It is a open faced dish but works much better than the dome. I ordered my coach with it and love it. Always have signal, it's HD and I get my locals!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425661220.546103.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	70831

Attached is what it looks like...

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #6

Actually, the King Dome is standard. Equipment on the Charleston.......I certainly would have opted for the Trav'ler as I did on my Berkshire.......I have been unable to get FR to trade-in or up, and they are not showing any desire to either replace or repair the one I have......that's my problem....I am stuck with it , unLess I want to shell out around $2000. (Including install).
Klarryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

King Dome/DirecTV

We purchased a used motor home and added the stationary King Dome later. At first, we tried to use an HD receiver that was no longer needed in the house and had zilch for luck. Turns out, King Dome does not support DirecTV HD. We got a new DirecTV standard definition receiver and had it installed by DirecTV. So far it has worked wonderfully.

It took a bit of doing to finally figure out the problem, neither King Dome nor DirecTV were all that helpful. I kinda' did it myself.

Once in a while the King Dome will hunt and hunt for the satellite but that seems to be resolved now. We are not full time RVers so DirecTV SD is just fine for us.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote