Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Latest Trip

Well, just got back from our big initiation trip with the Berk. Here are some thoughts about the coach. We were in Colorado, so I was wondering what the power would be like in the mountains with a toad (we have the 360). Power was more than adequate and most of the time I didn't know I was towing. Probably the slowest speed up a hill was about 55 mph. I averaged between 10 and 10.5 mpg the whole trip (limited to 65mph with the toads transmission) and pretty consistently stayed at 65. Had a chance to see how the Tru Center worked and I was impressed. We encountered some pretty good wind gusts, especially heading east, and the coach was very controllable. Occasional adjustments allowed me to take the pressure off of my hands when steering into the wind. Overall, no major problems with the coach. I had some 8+ hour days and it was a dream to drive....very relaxing compared to my old class c. I had upgraded my radio/stereo system, the tunes sounded much better. One scare with a malfunctioning tps module saying that tire temp was above 130 and pressure was 70, but it corrected itself after a manual pressure check and did not malfunction again. This trip made me fall even more in love with my Berk. Have close to 10k miles on her now and I believe that she's just about ready to broken in.....
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Yep winds can be a pain at times in CO?
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

Good to hear and glad you had a great trip.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Always nice to hear when a plan comes together. See or do anything especially fun? Love that country over there.

~Cheers
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Always nice to hear when a plan comes together. See or do anything especially fun? Love that country over there.

~Cheers
Stayed in Canon City. Did gold mine tour in Cripple Creek, Royal Gorge RR, Manitou cliff dwellings. Had a great time.....and got to pick up and drink some beers that I can't get in Michigan.

Rich
Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Sounds like a blast

I always seem to get distracted over there and a "just passing through" seems to take me weeks.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Stayed in Canon City. Did gold mine tour in Cripple Creek, Royal Gorge RR, Manitou cliff dwellings. Had a great time.....and got to pick up and drink some beers that I can't get in Michigan.

Rich
Did you happen to go to Cripple Creek by way of Phantom Canyon? No way to take a coach, but the ride in a car is spectacular. There are places where if you meet another car, one of you will have to back up a ways!!

The Florence and Cripple Creek narrow gauge RR used to carry ore out of CC (thru that canyon) before the tracks were dismantled about 100 years ago

Another fantastic ride out of Canon City is Oak Creek Grade which goes up to Westcliffe/Silvercliffe Colorado. It's the old stage coach route. Views of the Arkansas River valley (about 2000+ feet below you) are simply unbelievable.

Both routes are about 30 miles in length.

Finally, US 50 between Canon City and Salida (thru Big Horn Sheep canyon along the Arkansas river) is about 45 miles of absolutely stunning scenery.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

And the best part of your trip was seeing another Berkshire, and "Stalking' them across Iowa and Nebraska!!
Ah, just kidding. Glad we met.
BrakeBuddy
hawk10eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk10eye View Post
And the best part of your trip was seeing another Berkshire, and "Stalking' them across Iowa and Nebraska!!
Ah, just kidding. Glad we met.
Ya, that was funny. Seeing you guys when we pulled into the new campground the next day, I said to my wife, we've got to introduce ourselves or they might think we are stalkers. It was nice meeting you guys as well, John. Hopefully our paths will cross again.

Rich
Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #10

I am only averaging 8.9 mpg. What am I doing wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Terrilegacy
How fast are you driving. Best economy should be 60mph +/-5 mph. Are you using the econo mode on the Allison transmission, it helps knock down the rpm's and get into overdrive (6th gear) at a lower mph. What are you towing if anything. When towing my Ford Explorer (5200 lbs) I get between 9.5 and 10 mpg. We just finished a 6500 mile trip out west through the Rockies and got consistent mpg. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Did you happen to go to Cripple Creek by way of Phantom Canyon? No way to take a coach, but the ride in a car is spectacular. There are places where if you meet another car, one of you will have to back up a ways!!

The Florence and Cripple Creek narrow gauge RR used to carry ore out of CC (thru that canyon) before the tracks were dismantled about 100 years ago

Another fantastic ride out of Canon City is Oak Creek Grade which goes up to Westcliffe/Silvercliffe Colorado. It's the old stage coach route. Views of the Arkansas River valley (about 2000+ feet below you) are simply unbelievable.

Both routes are about 30 miles in length.

Finally, US 50 between Canon City and Salida (thru Big Horn Sheep canyon along the Arkansas river) is about 45 miles of absolutely stunning scenery.

Boowho??

Boo, did not go that way. Had thought about a jeep tour that went more along the trails, but ended up driving the toad. Stayed off of 50 and travelled west from there a bit. Beautiful country....