Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

leak from blackwater tank

On my 2010 390bh I encountered a black water leak. It only leaked when the tank was near full and sloshed around while driving. I found a small amount of black water in the hold where the tanks are and appears to originate above the discharge valve. When stationary, the tank doesn't leak. My question, has anyone removed the plenum containing all of the on/off knobs in the water bay? To gain access to the tanks I will need to remove it. Any insight will improve my odds of success.
Thanks
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Sorry I can't help you but say it isn't sounding like a fun job. I wonder if calling FR and talking to Andy in parts might help. There is a guy that does all the warrantee work and you might get him on the phone for advice. I also wonder if you can pressure test the tank and find the leak without dropping it. If you found the leak there are some very good glues that would seal it. This is most likely lame advice sorry and good luck. Please keep us updated.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

I found the source of the leak. It is on top of the flange that exits the tank. The flange attaches to the pipe with the flush valve. Just a tiny crack, but boy is it nasty. Has any one tried plasti-mend? My research says it is the best for this situation. Its about $50 with shipping but it sure beats the alternative.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Phil
What other glues have you heard of?
Will
Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

I think you need to know what type of plastic it is the key is the chemical reaction that melts the plastic together. We have used a product that was black and when it was applied it fused the plastic. I have a call into a friend to see what brand it was. We got it at NAPA parts and I can't remember what the heck it's called. It's in a squeeze out tube. Sorry ill post when I here from him. I have also used a flat bladed solder gun and welded the plastic to gather. That works well if the plastic is not very thin. It's not like there is any pressure in the tank. Sorry I don't have the brand but if you call napa and tell them what the material is and they should have the proper stuff to fix it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

A youtube video showed a black water tank being repaired with a glue that is mixed by breaking a barrier between two liquids. It creates a black goo that is used with a mesh material, to fix a crack. I need the right solvent for this particular type of plastic. Its more complex than I would have thought.

Tags
black, leak, tank, water, water tank