Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Leak from refrigerator

Today when flushing the antifreeze out of the lines, water started coming out from under the trim plate at the base of the refrigerator. I shut the water supply off beneath the bathroom sink to stop the stream. Any idea on how to check where the line might be leaking without removing the fridge?
DDKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Might get better results with year make and model so as other with like or similar units can help.

Most of us put it in our signature line.

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Might get better results with year make and model so as other with like or similar units can help.

Most of us put it in our signature line.

turbs
We have a 2009 390BH.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Do you have an ice maker in you fridge? If you do it could be that water line.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

There is an ice maker and I'm sure that is where it is coming from, it is just hard to see anything with the limited open space around the fridge. The line going int the fridge through the floor and out through the outside vent is not leaking, it has to be somewhere internal or in an area your can not see on the 390BH.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Did you take the outside vent panel off to access the back of ref? you should see the ice maker incomming water line there. You might have frozen the line over the winter.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

I had the same issue.... Went outside, removed panel and discovered water line, which is plastic, had a small hole rubbed in it.... Bought replacement line from Lowe's and installed it.... Then turned water off to ice maker and bought a portable ice-maker which I keep in an outside storage compartment.... I removed ice bucket in freezer which now give me more inside freezer space...

Will be installing a 63qt ref/freezer and slide in basement this weekend.... I believe it will be what I want for my extended trips.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

dd-

I would try unhooking the line under the bathroom sink and have someone hold it. I would then go outside and take the panel off where the refrigerator is and gently pull on the line. If the person holding the line can feel the tugging and it seeems to be moving freely, I would try taping a new line to the old and seeing if you can pull the new line through to the ice maker. Other than that, I don't know how you would be able to find the leak.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

While I don't have a Berkshire, or a TT with and ice maker in the fridge, it seems I've seen this issue on a number of forums about the ice maker line leaking in the spring. It seems that when winterizing the line to the ice maker gets forgotten, and then freezes over the winter. I've never had and ice maker even here at home, for future reference are they really worth the trouble and loss of space in the freezer?

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #10

Yep. Mine froze before i had a chance to winterize. Be sure to keep that line off until you get it fixed.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDKND View Post
Today when flushing the antifreeze out of the lines, water started coming out from under the trim plate at the base of the refrigerator. I shut the water supply off beneath the bathroom sink to stop the stream. Any idea on how to check where the line might be leaking without removing the fridge?
Based on your description, I'm betting the problem is a cracked manifold valve outside in the access compartment. Its hard to see cause its insulated with silver tape and electric 12v element wire. Its happened on this forum a few time already. Problem is valve is hard plastic and if not disconnected and drained the water is trapped within, if freezing its the first to fail. Mine has one 12 volt valve for on door water and behind it is a 117volt for icemaker feed, could be either. Two winters ago when I started back up forgot to tighten one line at bottom of valve. It leaked into the interior just like yours. Just had to tighten up, but I had it drained during the winter. Hope you find it!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
While I don't have a Berkshire, or a TT with and ice maker in the fridge, it seems I've seen this issue on a number of forums about the ice maker line leaking in the spring. It seems that when winterizing the line to the ice maker gets forgotten, and then freezes over the winter. I've never had and ice maker even here at home, for future reference are they really worth the trouble and loss of space in the freezer?
Depends on how much you like having ice for a cold beverage....for me, it's one of my favorite "extras" in my Berkshire....use it all the time. To each his own!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

I agree CWGD. I grew up south if Houston so virtually every liquid that goes into my my mouth has ice floating in it! I love the ice maker. When mine was down, I had many ice cube trays in there to keep up with my demand and the volume of those trays plus another reservoir to hold made ice cubes is about the same as the auto maker plus its bin. I suppose if you always camp in more northern climes and fancy coffee and hot chocolate over iced tea and sodas...you probably wouldn't want the ice maker.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote