Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Leaks!!!!!

OK, so I sat thru about 12 hours of wind and rain yesterday (a severe weather event here in AZ, but don't worry we WILL rebuild) and had some water coming in just below the storage compartments above the driver/passenger seats.

There is an upholstered panel directly under those cabinets and that was where the water was coming out; no leakage within the compartments themselves, since there is a double "floor" in them. Water was coming in between the floor of the cabinets and the aforementioned panel.

That upholstered panel appears to be (at least partially) held up by some sort of fasteners (buttons that are also upholstered). To help clarify, that panel is where the defogger fans are mounted.

So, the question.... Has anyone had to remove that panel?? I'm totally dry this morning, but wouldn't mind looking in there to see if I have any damage.

Thanks for any help.

Boowho??

P.S. OBTW, that was probably our entire allotment of rain for the next 6 months or more.
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

Boo,
Sorry to hear about the terrible weather. Maybe we could trade you about 9 inches of snow for the rain! (LOL!)

That aside, the white upholstered portion of the button is a cover that pops off exposing a screw head. You can then remove the screws and the panel should come off. You probably will need to remove the fans also.

Good luck,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
Sorry to hear about the terrible weather. Maybe we could trade you about 9 inches of snow for the rain! (LOL!)

That aside, the white upholstered portion of the button is a cover that pops off exposing a screw head. You can then remove the screws and the panel should come off. You probably will need to remove the fans also.

Good luck,
Tom

Thanks Tom.... That was the info I was looking for.

Bill
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

Well, have gotten everything torn out (shades, valences, everything) and found the leak. Had to dry out the overhead 'headliner' panel and wring about a gallon of water out of the sponge rubber backing.

Start putting it all back together in the AM. Lotsa work, but I figured I've saved about $400; can use that to buy more "toys"...

Boowho??
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Any Pic's Bill on where the leak was and showing everything apart. Might be useful for the future.....

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #6

boowho

Where did you find the leak? The only thing I can think of over there is the windshield seal or radio antenna driver side roof. Did you find all the wiring in the driver side A piller as well as the AC drain? A lot of wires run down that spot. I had a bundle that were unterminated and hot as well.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
boowho

Where did you find the leak? The only thing I can think of over there is the windshield seal or radio antenna driver side roof. Did you find all the wiring in the driver side A piller as well as the AC drain? A lot of wires run down that spot. I had a bundle that were unterminated and hot as well.
The leak was (probably) where the end cap meets the main roof line; haven't flooded the area yet again to make sure I'm dry. But that was the area I was spraying when the DW hollered. It also showed deterioration of the existing sealant.

There are quite a few wires behind both pillars (left and right). There is a large red hose (maybe electric cable) down the left side. I assumed it was the "hot" 12 volts to the genset starter.

If it's a hose I'll feel better; two big lag bolts that hold the outside mirrors on come thru right there and could possibly rub thru the insulation causing a fire.

That may seem like a longshot, but a 5th wheel camped next to me last winter had such a screw thru the flooring and against a 110 volt cable. Two years of walking over the spot had caused the screw to "eat" thru the insulation and DID start a fire.

Speedmerchant, I'll do as you suggested RE: pictures.

Boowho??
Old 03-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #8

Leaks!!!!!

This is where FR found my leak. It was coughs before any damage was caused.This is right above the driver window. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394048082.105055.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	47220

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Bill,
That red hose sounds like it is part of the central drain for the air conditioner. Take a look under the front corner on the drivers side of the coach. I think that you will see where the red tube comes out.
Hope you solved your leak.
Tom

Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

boowhoo

The red line is the AC drain. If you have been using your front AC you may want to look it over and be sure a screw has not punctured it and it is nit draining into the wall.

I forgot you had the new style mirrors. Does it look like there is gasket behind the mount on the outside? I would look there before I would go after the cap seam. I can see someone forgetting a gasket when installing the mirror.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #11

Pictures

Alright.... Here's a couple of pics.

The order of disassembly (and then re-assembly) is important, so if you ever have to do it, please PM me.

The only caveats are is that you MUST have three people to re-install the upholstered panel, it's just FAR to difficult with only two. You will also be bent into a pretzel getting at some of the screws to get the whole thing down and then back up. I am still sore!!

And do NOT (DO NOT!!!!!) be tempted to use anything other than 1/4 inch sponge rubber for the backing of the upholstered panel. We tried quilt batting from my DW's "stash" of sewing materials; MAJOR mistake.

When you start putting mounting screws back in with a power screw driver, the batting wraps around the screw INSTANTLY and forms a rock hard ball on the screw itself. I had one that was as big as a marshmallow. Then you have to pull it back out GREATLY enlarging the screw hole. Then I had to BURN the wad of material of the end of screws/drill bits. NASTY STUFF!!

Luckily, all the holes I enlarged are hidden behind shade mounting, etc, so are not visible. Otherwise it would have been a new piece of vinyl covering.

The original sponge rubber had absorbed a great deal of water, so I think it's been leaking for quite awhile. Not long enough to rot the plywood however.

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_082636[1].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	47551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_082541[1].jpg
Views:	203
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	47552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_082443[1].jpg
Views:	225
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	47553   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_082342[1].jpg
Views:	207
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	47554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140307_082420[1].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	47555  

Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #12

Looks like a big job. Thanks for sharing the info.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Looks like a big job. Thanks for sharing the info.
Phil, it's a HUGE job. I suspect it would have cost me $400+ in labor to have it done. Being stingy, I did it myself; but sure as H hope that I never have to do it again.

EVERYTHING(valences, shades, etc) have to come down before the panel itself.

Oh, BTW.... I used the word *I*..... It should be *WE*; that is, the DW and me together.

Boowho??
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #14

Thanks for posting, great info. Glad things are back together for you!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
Thanks for posting, great info. Glad things are back together for you!
X2!!

Bill,
Happy to hear that your leak is fixed! When you own a motor home and/or a brick and stick home, it is good to be handy and to be able to fix problems like this yourself.
Tom

Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

You guys have got me thinking and worried so I got my ladder out to look at the seal between the front end cap and the reset of the coach, It appears there is a gasket accross the front end cap to the roof that might be a rubber seal. Not sure but you can see it in the attached pictures. As for the sealant going along the roof and side it appears to be a ribbon like sealant and then painted black. If resealing is needed does all that ribbon sealant have to come off? Looks like a major job or is just the inner side the part that needs to be removed and resealed? I am confused and don't want to have to go through what Boo just went through. See 3 pictures of the roof and seal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394752273.773838.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	47665Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394752295.005391.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	47666Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394752315.433365.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	47667
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #17

I had my top cap repainted and the body shop mentioned to me that before they painted it they removed the sealant that was previously there. They commented that the stuff that was on there was cracking so they resealed it with a high end product. Don't ask me what they used. They then primed and painted over the sealant as an extra measure, which the factory may have done originally as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #18

Looks like that Delco lap and just painted to me from the picture, that self leveling stuff. If thats it take a heat gun and peel it off redo with the new and paint it black. But I'm sure I'm wrong but do not know why it wouldn't work? That's just roof maintenance, ask that commercial guy RVROOFER on this site see what he say's

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #19
Plain Old Member

Looks similar to the motorhomes we had. Just a plastic strip screwed down over the joint and butyl, screw heads covered in Dicor sealant then painted.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #20

Would putting a wide strip of Eternabond tape seal the joint better and be an easier fix than removing the old sealant and re-sealing with Dicor sealant?

Tags
leak